Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2000, 07:51 AM   #1
slider7
"slider7"
IP Hash: 9653b414
Anonymous User
Smile

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and I just started training in aikido last week.

In two years time I will be going to university which will be away from home. Therefore, I will not be able to continue training at my local dojo until the term ends. Could anyone tell me how easy it is to pick up aikido again if you have a fairly gap of training in between (probably several months)? I could try and find a dojo in the university area - has anyone mixed dojos before? Is it confusing? Any other comments?

Thanks a lot
Rian
Old 07-29-2000, 09:23 AM   #2
Russell
Thumbs down Re-learning Aikido...

Good morning Rian-

I began taking aikido again about six weeks ago. My previous training actually was in college- TWENTY YEARS AGO!!

I found that its alot like riding a bike- once you learn, you never really forget. EVERYTHING came back rather quickly. So, not to worry. I would encourage you to find a dojo where you're going. I deeply regret having let my training lapse as I did.

Best wishes-

Russell

Dr. Russell L. Jones
Jones Center of Chiropractic
2323 West Main Street
Suite 109
Dothan, Alabama 36301
334/794-9333
Email: JCOC3347949333@AOL.COM
Old 07-29-2000, 01:37 PM   #3
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
Hi Slider7,

Hopefully there will be a university club where you are going. Join it and train there. If you really like doing aikido don't stop! It will probably be a little bit different from what you've just started but fundamentally (I think) all aikido is the same. When you're done university for the term go back to your home dojo and you'll likely see the differences are less than the similarities.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2000, 03:09 PM   #4
guest1234
I've been lucky enough to move around quite a bit since I've been training in Aikido, so I've been able to see several different styles. I think the important part is realizing beforehand that things may be different, and keep eyes and mind open to the similarities, which I have found always outnumber the differences. Look at the differences as a whole new way to do things (expanding your capabilities)---and if someone tells you that you are doing something wrong, when you are doing as you had been taught, tell yourself they meant to use the words 'different from what was shown' and don't let it get to you.
Old 07-30-2000, 08:04 PM   #5
chillzATL
United_States
Well, like someone said, it's like riding a bike. You never really forget the tecniques, maybe the finer points. My biggest problem is timing and lots of smaller things. Remembering to breathe, staying relaxed, keeping my center, etc.
Old 07-31-2000, 08:46 AM   #6
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
Thumbs down give your body time to adjust

Quote:
chillzATL wrote:
Well, like someone said, it's like riding a bike. You never really forget the tecniques, maybe the finer points. My biggest problem is timing and lots of smaller things. Remembering to breathe, staying relaxed, keeping my center, etc.
I totally agree with chillzATL, I would just like to add that when trying to resume your training, your body's reaction might not be the same. I usually train regularly about 3-4 times a week then there was this time that I "rested" for about 1-2 months, and when I came back, I easily got tired and dizzy (and this was just after the preliminary exercises!). So my advice is...give your body time to adjust, just don't force yourself to train at the same level as you left, start slow and progressively increase your training level.

-Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 08-01-2000, 05:42 AM   #7
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
slider7 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to this group and I just started training in aikido last week.
Well, welcome to Aikido and welcome to the forums!

Quote:
slider7 wrote:

In two years time I will be going to university which will be away from home. Therefore, I will not be able to continue training at my local dojo until the term ends. Could anyone tell me how easy it is to pick up aikido again if you have a fairly gap of training in between (probably several months)? I could try and find a dojo in the university area - has anyone mixed dojos before? Is it confusing? Any other comments?

Thanks a lot
Rian
My advice is to do what you can to train while at the university. If you can't train at an Aikido club/dojo there, then do something related e.g.: judo, hapkido, etc. Failing that, get a video of your dojo's jo and ken kata and practice them diligently and get your instructor to check your progress on trips home for holidays.

After training for a year and a half, I had an nine month lapse for graduate school and it was almost like starting over. The only thing that helped was attending some seminars on weekends and hanging out on Aikido-L (http://www.aikido-l.org. Plug, plug).

Some famous pianist said "When I skip practice for one day, I can tell; two days and my mother can tell; three days and anyone can tell!".

Greg Jennings
http://www.capitalcityaikido.com - Iwama Style Aikido in Montgomery, AL
jenningsgreg@home.com
Old 08-01-2000, 08:09 AM   #8
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Cool Welcome to a big family

Hi Rian!!

Congratulations for starting in aikido training. I'm sure that if you really want, you will find the way to get close to a dojo. You can choose a College with an Aikido Club. It's eassy.

Bye!!

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 08-02-2000, 10:27 AM   #9
janet
Dojo: City Aikido
Hi, Ryan.
I'm solidly on the side of finding a dojo near your school or a school-based aikido club:
Since you have only been training a short time, I would not worry too much about whether the style or affiliation of a university-based club is different from your home dojo. You won't have had a chance to internalize too many habits yet, and if you can find a good "home away from home" dojo you will be able to continue to progress.

best of luck--with aikido and with your studies

janet