Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-21-2000, 02:52 PM   #1
BJP
I am beginning Aikido training and am trying to gain flexibility, but it's sure coming very, very slowly. I am 51 and in good health, and have been active all my life. It seems that I tighten up really fast after stetching, which i do almost every day for half an hour or more. Sometimes it seems that I'm actually going backwards. Any advice for me? Should I be taking any special supplements? I don't eat much meat, except tuna, mostly a vegetarian. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough gelatin, if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.
Old 10-21-2000, 07:52 PM   #2
AikiBiker
Dojo: Aiki O'Kami Society
Being a confirmed carnivore I encourage you eat as much steak as possible.

Seriously I would suggest doing some light exercise to warm up the muscles before stretching. Aiki Taiso or Ukemi is perfect in my opinion.

Later
Old 10-21-2000, 09:28 PM   #3
BJP
Thanks for your advice about warming up the muscles; I already do that, but maybe some different sort of warm-up, such as those you suggested might be more beneficial; I'll give it a try. Thanks.

As for your comment about eating more red meat, you'll understand eventually, as you become older and wiser (hopefully), that eating red meat often is one of the surest ways to shorten your life, become lethargic and obese, not to mention all the other predictable bad effects of the steroids and animal antibiotics that will accumulate in your body as a result of eating commercially produced beef, pork, chicken etc. Not only do vegetarians generally have much longer lifespans than meat-eaters, they are often not as prone to diseases and colds as meat-eaters. And they certainly don't smell as bad as meat-eaters. I'm not opposed to eating meat on any moral grounds, as some are, I just want to live long and well. I take a lot of joking about not eating much meat from friends and strangers as well, and I just think in the back of my head (like most vegetarians, probably)...hey pal, the jokes on you, really.

See you in the wind, bud.

BJP
Old 10-22-2000, 11:49 PM   #4
stratcat
Dojo: Chendokan Aikido, Costa Rica
Stretching

Have you ever tried changing your stretching exercises; as in, perhaps "resting" the different muscle groups in the same way a weightlifter will not train the same set of muscles every day, but still "warming up" overall? Try putting on Bengay or similar before you stretch. It's always helped my Dad (he's about your age)when he's about to perform strenous exercise

Also try squatting, flexing and bending your back and legs a little before class, just as everyone is coming onto the mat. It helps me a lot when I'm sore, and it gets me psyched to do my best.

In any case, flexibility is always hard to attain. Be patient and don't push it. Aikido is not a race, you have the rest of your life to get better at it.

Just some thoughts.

Andy Hertz.
"Standing before me
enemies my mind does not ignore
I take a step forward
and act!"
Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-23-2000, 07:54 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi BJP,
I'm a vegetarian also (but eat free range fish) and I worry abut my joints 'cos of bad knees (too much Aikido?) Best advice is:
- warm up (slowly!)
- cod liver oil (good for your joints, advanced Karatekas often take it)
Old 10-23-2000, 10:11 AM   #6
akiy

Don't forget to stretch right after class as a warm-down exercise...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-23-2000, 10:23 AM   #7
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Ever try Glucosamine? (with Vit. C is good) It's really great for some people's joints.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 10-23-2000, 12:04 PM   #8
laughingboy
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
Flexibility

BJP,

I've gotten some recent success from a new technique. After begining my stretch and reaching that "stopping point", I tightly flex the muscles involved in the stretch for a couple of seconds. After that, I'm able to deepen my stretch. This, of course, would best be done after warming up a little.

Laughingboy
Old 10-23-2000, 12:11 PM   #9
marcus
Dojo: Iyasaka Aikido Dojo
Hi!
Since O-Sensei was a vegetarian, I don't think you should put to much energy on finding a diet that solves your problem. Instead, check this superb website out:

http://enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

It tells you just about everything you need to know about stretching (and more) and was written by a guy who has read hundreds of books on the subject and compiled his own manual. Good luck!

Marcus
Old 10-23-2000, 07:00 PM   #10
BJP
Smile Thanks everyone

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Everyone for replying to my question about flexibility training for the older person. I'm incorporating some advices right now and hope to try all of your good suggestions in the near future. Again, thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

BJP