Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
garry cantrell
United_States
choice

someone once said that the easiest way to determine a person's religion is to find out the religion of their parents. that is, folks tend to adopt what is familiar, close, easy. that being said, i'm wondering how many folks began aikido (or a particular style of aikido) because it was the only game in town?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Dominic Toupin
Canada
Re: choice

Not for me...

I practice karate (Yoseikan Karate-Do), jiu-jitsu (Yoseikan Jiu-Jitsu) and aikido. I began in Aikikai but now I'm doing Yoseikan Aikido and I prefer Yoseikan than Aikikai.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
garry cantrell
United_States

dominic,

excellent. glad you were able to compare 2 styles and pick the one you like best. i'm curious as to how you came to be introduced to yoseikan though. through a friend? did you move to a new location? dissastisfied with your old dojo? did you try other styles as well?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Dominic Toupin
Canada

I started in Yoseikan Karate-do in 1988
My Sensei move in Yoseikan Budo in 1995. I got my shodan in Yoseikan Budo.

In 1998, I move in Quebec City.

I took class in Judo, Shotokan Karate and Aikikai. Judo wasn't for me and in shotokan and Aikikai, I didn't share the philosophy of the senseis...

I asked my Yoseikan Budo sensei about a good jiu-jutsu school and he send me to train with Marc Asselin (9th dan in Yoseikan Karate-Do, and 6th dan in Yoseikan Ju-Jutsu). I will pass an exam in may for my shodan.

Recently, I ask my Yoseikan Budo sensei about a good aikido school and he send me to train with Daniel Tabouret Sensei (6th dan in Judo and 3th dan in Yoseikan Aikido)

Now I finally got to places where I like to train in Ju-Jutsu and Yoseikan Aikido
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Yeh, I'll be suprised if this is the case for aikido - although it's more popular now than it used to be in the UK, judo, karate and taewondo still have for more clubs around. Although I started in aikido, I tried other martial arts as well, but stuck with aikido.

Obviously the style of aikido is a more difficult question - I've moved around and tried to get the best out of the style in the local area, though I now know I would have difficulty getting anything useful out of training in certain styles.

I would also think that this no longer applies to religion. There is a lot more contact with other religions and cultures (at least in the UK) now and there is access to far more information on these.

Last edited by ian : 11-23-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Re: choice (of various produce)

For such a small town (7000+), with the university (MTU), we have good variety. I've worked a bit with TKD, Tai Chi, BJJ, Shitu Ryu and fencing club. I had many choices when I chose aikido as my main area of training. ASU has treated me very well. I also appreciate the experiences I have had with other aikido organizations when I travel.
At the same time, people do tend to take what they can get. I would have been happy to study karate in my neighboring town growing up, if I could have convinced my parents that it was worth the time and expense. Also learned some good techniques from some wrestling I did in middle-school.
This also makes me think of how tempted I might be to push aikido on my own children (should I ever get around to having them) one day. I enjoy and learned an incredible amount from the many years of archery with my father. Still, I love aikido like he loves archery and that has to be found within oneself.
I should note that I am indeed a Catholic as my parents are, but I'm even less mainstream than they were. The study of science, philosophy, other religions and aikido itself has made my current views quite in line with Unitarian Universalism. I still consider myself Catholic, even if I was bruised and rolled a bit falling from the tree. I went through Confirmation (gave my word that I would remain Catholic my entire life); so, I'm Catholic until the Pope tells me otherwise (or I go back on my word, neither seems very likely).

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Ruben
Mexico

Dominic:

What was the main diference that made you decide change
of style
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #8
Dominic Toupin
Canada

In Yoseikan Aikido, we use atemi and Geri (kick). Also we practice sutemi (where one would sacrifice is equilibrium (balance) to throw another). The attack use in Yoseikan are more realistic too...
Old 11-23-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Garry,

There are lots of taekwando schools in Midland, where I live, but not many instructors in aikido. Sensei Riggs teaches aikikai style and is heavily influenced by Doshu as well as other shihan. I have only touched on other martial arts, but I'm very pleased with what Sensei Riggs is teaching and don't imagine I'll ever give it up. I have even mentioned that should my instructor decide to move (not likely) I would pack up and follow him. Dunno what the wife would say to that!

There are many other organizations that impress me. USAF has many good instructors, ASU as well. If I had to change organizations, I would just shop for an instructor that I felt had something to teach me... otherwise I'd probably keep looking. I would never train somewhere just because they say that teach aikido... even though what they teach may be different. I have to agree with the philosophy.

I'm also forced to ask if this pertains to religion, such as the analogy you presented. Well, I was born and raised Catholic, but have studied other religions of the world. I don't practice any particular religion, despite my upbringing. So, in realtion to doing what my parents did just because they taught me that... I think I'm a big enough boy to make decisions on my own.

As my mother used to say,"Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way." I do whatever is most appropriate according to the circumstances before me, and never do one or the other all of the time.