Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands
"Hidden in Plain Sight" - Chapter 3 Kuki family

Hi Ellis,

This may mean nothing and I’m not even sure if this is relevant to anyone in any way. I’m merely pointing something out which I noticed.

On page 147 you stated (as taken from the Kuki website) that Ueshiba together with Kuki Takaharu established, “to be exact, Amenomurakumo Samuhara Aikido.”

What I noticed missing in this phrase was the word/name “Kuki.” FI an excerpt as taken from the Takemusu Aiki lectures (from Aikido Journal #116, 1999) http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=636
“Aikido is the work of Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara Ryuou.11
Kuki is a double-edged sword which cuts through and unites the appearances of the Great Spirit of the Earth and Heaven. That is, it is a two-edged sword of Heaven and Earth.
-------------------------------
As I said, merely pointing this out. I’ll let others do the speculating or draw conclusions. I have none to offer at this point. All I can share was that when I was still part of John Stevens’ organization we chanted “Namu Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara Ryu-o” as part of Kotodama practice.
Best,

Ernesto Lemke
Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Ellis Amdur

Re: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - Chapter 3 Kuki family

Ernesto - I have no idea.
One thing about the Kuki family that I find fascinating is that I've heard they are one of a number of clans that have maintained an alternate history of Japan - they have old texts based on oral tradition that are both variant forms of Shinto, and have myths that are different from the standards in the Kojiki. Evidently, the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki were compiled from the myths of the most politically dominant clans. Certainly these texts are not released in English. I do not know if they have been released publicly in Japanese either.

Best
Ellis

Old 09-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
crbateman

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
One thing about the Kuki family that I find fascinating is that I've heard they are one of a number of clans that have maintained an alternate history of Japan...
Is it any wonder there are so many "alternate histories" of Aikido? As a gaijin, I'll probably never figure this out...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands

From the Essence of Aikido by John Stevens:

page 33
"Morihei related that on December 14, 1940, the messenger Saruta-hiko [ ] appeared to him and announced that Ame-no-murakumo-kuki-samuhara Ryuo would thereafter take possession of his soul."

"Kuki, "Nine Fierce Spirits"(and the name of an ancient system of esoteric Shinto that Morihei studied deeply)"