Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Shane Marcum

Dojo: Aikido School of Lexington
United_States
Kokyu Nage (Twenty Year Technique)

As I'm sure most will agree, the "Twenty Year Technique" has numerous variations. Some dojos appear to teach it directly in line with Irimi Nage, while others may start students with it and Shihonage as their initial projections.

I have a very technical question relating to the technique. I have been more successful using this technique against shomenuchi by following irimi-tenkan-pivot. By this I mean entering off the line to the outside as the attack comes in; cutting down on Uke's attacking arm and securing the neck against my shoulder as I tenkan; and depending on the momentum, pivoting at the end as I bring my arm up, then down across the face, neck, and upper body.

Does anyone else perform this technique in this manner?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States
Re: Kokyu Nage (Twenty Year Technique)

Mr. Marcum,

I know it as Aiki-nage...as you said, it has numerous names and variations.

Train well,

Mickey

ps.....(whispers)...and it does not take twenty years...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi,
I'm not shure about what technique you talk. And I have never heard of a "Twenty Year Technique".
Is there picture or movie clip on you tube?

Carsten
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Shane Marcum wrote: View Post
Does anyone else perform this technique in this manner?
Probably. Check out YouTube.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Sounds like irimi nage ura to me.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Germany

maybe

I thought of a form of sokumen irimi nage = naname kokyu nage?

Carsten
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Sounds like irimi nage ura to me.
That's what I would say.

DH
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

Does it look anything like this?
http://www.aikibatto.com/aikido/vide...-iriminage.wmv
Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

We do that technique and simply call it: shomen uchi Irimi nage. We call a million different techniques kokyu nage though.

We translate it as breath throw, or spirit throw. Although I hear it called the "twenty year technique" often, because it's suppose to take 20 years to perfect. However that's true of all Aikido techniques. Some people have 50 years in, and will still tell you they don't like their kokyu nage.

I think it's one of the most commonly shared techniques among the Aikido systmes.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Shane Marcum

Dojo: Aikido School of Lexington
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Ricky,

Yes, it is the second on performed in this video by Stenudd Sensei. Although, his footwork in the video is different than what I describe. That's where my question lies. Is my way wrong, or just "another way" of doing it.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Shane:

It sounds like a good technical start. I frankly use to consider all techniques to be 20 year techniques. Now that I am finishing my 20th year, I now call then 30 year techniques! Shoshin- Beginner's Mind. Never stop learning a technique.

Marc Abrams
Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Shane Marcum wrote: View Post
Yes, it is the second on performed in this video by Stenudd Sensei. Although, his footwork in the video is different than what I describe. That's where my question lies. Is my way wrong, or just "another way" of doing it.
Ok, we call it irimi nage and our footwork is the same.

I can not imagine how irimi nage can work if you secure ukes neck against your shoulder while turning round?

Carsten
Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

19 years were trying to figure out what to call the technique, 364 days to debate whether we should or should not include internal training to do the technique, and 1 day to get it done. if you are lucky it happens on leap year, then you got 2 days.

kokyu = breath power => internal power with movement as an after thought. *put on asbestos underwear* picture anyone???
Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
19 years were trying to figure out what to call the technique, 364 days to debate whether we should or should not include internal training to do the technique, and 1 day to get it done. if you are lucky it happens on leap year, then you got 2 days.
It's the other way round here: On the first day of training we get to know the name and we are said that working on technique by itself is internal training. Everything is said with that. The next twenty years we are only practicing.
On leap years we practice a little more.

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 10-08-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #15
NagaBaba

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I can not imagine how irimi nage can work if you secure ukes neck against your shoulder while turning round?

Carsten
The irimi nage can efficienlty work ONLY if you secure ukes neck against your shoulder while turning. Other wise you create an opening and uke will spin out while you are doing tenkan.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Mr. S and I are like minded there...I might not say *only*, but I would say most often.

Hi Dave...I see you lurking...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
phitruong
United_States

i am more of a mind doing atemi with the shoulder. but this being aikido where we suppose to be nice and all, I'll just cradle his head on my shoulder. i seemed to have more difficulty with the technique, because it against my nature, which is deep down, i am not a nice person.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
The irimi nage can efficienlty work ONLY if you secure ukes neck against your shoulder while turning. Other wise you create an opening and uke will spin out while you are doing tenkan.
Amen to that!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #19
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Hi,
I love it, to be here. really do.
Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Amen to that!
Did you see the video I posted yesterday? We cut uke down by and while doing tenkan and turning. There is no opening because we conduct his movement and lead him in a way so he can't spin out.
Whe he is lead his coming up again, we lead his head to our shoulder and throw.

So don't you cut uke down in irimi nage "ura"?

If ukes head happens to be directly secured at our shoulder we don't turn but throw directly irimi nage "omote".

Carsten
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
Hi,
I love it, to be here. really do.

Did you see the video I posted yesterday? We cut uke down by and while doing tenkan and turning. There is no opening because we conduct his movement and lead him in a way so he can't spin out.
Whe he is lead his coming up again, we lead his head to our shoulder and throw.

So don't you cut uke down in irimi nage "ura"?

If ukes head happens to be directly secured at our shoulder we don't turn but throw directly irimi nage "omote".

Carsten
ask a BJJ or Judo person to be uke then do the cut down approach then ask him/her about what he/she thought of the opportunity for legs take down or scissor kick take down. just a random thought.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #21
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
ask a BJJ or Judo person to be uke then do the cut down approach then ask him/her about what he/she thought of the opportunity for legs take down or scissor kick take down. just a random thought.
Or simply ask someone good at kaeshiwaza, or someone that just have trained on it. Or in sutemiwaza, that is.

Ey, Carsten, even read CT saying Aikido simply doesn't work, so...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #22
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
If ukes head happens to be directly secured at our shoulder we don't turn but throw directly irimi nage "omote"

Well, both omote and ura is done in the Yoshinkan with the head not going beyond the shoulder. Omote the head stays pretty much centered in my chest, ura the head still shouldn't (technically, in the Yoshinkan) go any further than the back shoulder. We do have some versions where uke is bent over more like what you are thinking of, but then instead of a large pivot we tend to body change cut down, body change and hit uke in the snozz, then throw them.

Different strokes and all that. I have seen some people who are VERY good at the style you describe, but I would say for *most* people (including me), there is just way to wide an opening without a compliant uke.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #23
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Ah, I see your point!

We have that in mind: We guide uke (or we try to ) in a way that he can't get the legs or do kaeshi waza or apply sutemi. You can achieve that and control uke very good by leading his shoulder. So he shows me his back when going down. An he is off balance all the time.

We have always had judoka, jujutsuka and also karateka practicing with us in our dojo. That helped a lot.
And we have had over the years some seminars of jujtutsuka to explore things like this in Detail.

@ Ron: ukes head is never going beyond the shoulder in our practice. Like in all other techniques we try to have uke always before our center.

I have trained with aikidoka from Yoshinkan who did irimi nage in a very similar way, like we do?

Carsten
Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
NagaBaba

Quote:
Ah, I see your point!

We have that in mind: We guide uke (or we try to ) in a way that he can't get the legs or do kaeshi waza or apply sutemi. You can achieve that and control uke very good by leading his shoulder. So he shows me his back when going down. An he is off balance all the time.

We have always had judoka, jujutsuka and also karateka practicing with us in our dojo. That helped a lot.
And we have had over the years some seminars of jujtutsuka to explore things like this in Detail.

@ Ron: ukes head is never going beyond the shoulder in our practice. Like in all other techniques we try to have uke always before our center.

I have trained with aikidoka from Yoshinkan who did irimi nage in a very similar way, like we do?

Carsten
Unfortunately the reality is not so nice. While you cutting down and ‘leading' uke, there is (and it is clearly obvious from video) the space between nage and uke. This space it is an opening where uke can counter. The counter can be done in many ways:
1. as previously described by attacking the legs. There is nothing nage can do about it, because he is not locking uke by any physical leverage. Uke is so far from nage's center that nage can control him efficiently with his weight.
2. other nice counter for uke is simply to continue the spiral that nage started, turning in nage direction and then go completely out far from nage. I did it many times when I practiced with folks from that style and every time it was very big surprise and they were not able to find a way to avoid this opening. You don't need to be very advanced karateka, practice judo or jj to do so simple spin out. Everybody will do it very successfully. LOL

3. this cutting motion doesn't work with tall and heavy uke -- nage is using here only power from shoulders and not from center.

From what I understand , in this way of doing iriminage nage expect uke to simply get up once when he is on the tatami, so nage can quietly apply iriminage. Underlined concept here is that uke is harmonizing with nage, and not countering. Again - uke must be trained like Pavlov's dog otherwise nage is kaput!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #25
sorokod
United Kingdom

Shoulder control with Irimi nage (straight, not ura) as Saito Morihiro used to do: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ouo6a...eature=related from about 6:40