Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2002, 12:22 AM   #1
Robin Walton
Question How long until shodan?

How long does it take to get a black belt? I told my friend that I started aikido last week and he asked how long it would take? I told him one year but maybe a little more is this right?

Robin
Old 05-03-2002, 12:31 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
3-4 years as the super-bare minimum.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:34 AM   #3
Edward
Thailand
1 year? Sure!

If you're training 3 hours daily at the aikikai hombu dojo for 1 year, it might be possible.

At our dojo, if you practice 6 days a week, you might get it in 3-4 years, if you're lucky. Otherwise, it takes usually 6-7 years.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 05-03-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
nikonl
China
My sensei always said, "Who wants my belt? i can give it to you right now". No one ever did raised his/her hand. I would think the meaning behind this is that, he could give us the belt, but are we worth the belt? You are what you are, just take your time. Someone wearing a white belt might have been training for 10 over years and could be better than someone with a shodan and training for 1 year. (if that's possible )
Old 05-03-2002, 03:55 AM   #5
justinm
United Kingdom
yes it's possible

I was wearing a white belt after 10 years.

Then, after I was awarded my shodan, it took several years before I felt I was good enough to wear it (but always very proud to do so).

It's all personal.

I have trained with 5th Dan's with less 'years' experience but far more hours training than me, due to my lifestyle compared to their's.

How long? For our club it is anything between 5 and 10 years. Normally the upper end.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:06 AM   #6
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Robin!

Where I train, it depends upon your personal ability. If you can learn all requirements for Shodan in one year, fine. But this never happened. For me, it took little less than 5 years and for my colleague who tested with me little less than two years. He was the fastest one, I think. But normally between three and five years.
I also agree with Leslie. You can just buy and put on a black belt and never be worth it. It's really a very personal thing. And it's the sign that your sensei thinks you worth of it. I hope you'll stick long enough with Aikido to find out yourself.....

Simone
Old 05-03-2002, 04:57 AM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
In Tenri - nearly everyone in town wears a black belt.

Very weird the first time you see it - you can buy one in every second shop.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-03-2002, 05:34 AM   #8
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: How long until shodan?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Walton
How long does it take to get a black belt? I told my friend that I started aikido last week and he asked how long it would take? I told him one year but maybe a little more is this right?
Answer 1:
It's a function of organization guidelines, instructor preferences and the individual student.

Answer 2:
It's all relative.

Answer 3:
Most people don't seem to care after they get it.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-10-2002, 09:14 AM   #9
Kanch0
Dojo: Abertay University Dundee - TenchiKai Aikido
Since I started Aikido I've never considered belts to be of any real value. After nearly three years regular training I am a 5th kyu and am happy to remain one.
It took my sensei over 6 years to be awarded his Shodan. And that was through training on average 5-6 hours a day (every day) in the Dojo under his father (a Shichidan) (who never actually graded him).
With all things considered I think that it should take AT LEAST 12 years to attain a dan rank with regular training. Unless like my Sensei you can afford to train to the extreme.
With any less than that can you really have mastered the basics????
Old 05-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #10
Erik
Quote:
It's irrelevant. We are all above worrying about trivial things like how long it takes to get a black belt in this art. That's a meaningless thing and proof of a primitive mind.

If we get indignant about people getting rank too fast, or if we complain about a dojo with a "3-year journey to shodan" program and call them McDojo's or something, that's because we are above materialistic concerns,

Any apparent contradictions in the above statements aren't real and merely your imagination.

PS: To answer your question in the general sense. Some places do it that fast but most don't. Even in the one's where you could do it that fast it's probably not happening to someone fresh off the street but someone with prior MA experience. Figure anywhere from 3 to 10 years for most folks. 5 is fairly typical for what I've seen.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #11
Randy Pertiet
Dojo: Tohkon Judo Club
Re: How long until shodan?

Quote:

Robin
Our Sensei told us the story that I've seen on this site before about the student wanting to train very hard and how quickly can he become shodan. The student was willing to work very hard and the more he commited the longer it would take.

First night we were told to expect 10 years. My brother will be testing in June for shodan and guess what, this is his 10th year...
Old 05-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
cdwright
Dojo: Yorkville Aikido
black belt

Not to sound harsh, but if all you friend wants is a black belt, they are easy to find and under 20 bucks.

That question is actually a monumental pet peeve of mine, along with, "When am I going to test?" Or "When is my next promotion?" If most people put as much time into training as they as did worrying about the rank, shodan rank would come before they knew it. In addition, the people that really know whats up, know that the shodan rank is when training begins, and not where it ends.
I would prefer people(for example at demos), my sensei included, look at me and say, "Wow, he is a good green belt." Instead of "Who in the *@^& promoted this guy to black belt?" Remember, that what kind of aikidoka you are(attitude and all included), reflects on your sensei as well.

I hope you have enough trust in your sensei that he can ascertain when you need to be promoted. You worry about the training, let him/her deal with promoting you.....
Old 05-10-2002, 07:07 PM   #13
Jim23
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanch0

With all things considered I think that it should take AT LEAST 12 years to attain a dan rank with regular training. Unless like my Sensei you can afford to train to the extreme.
With any less than that can you really have mastered the basics????
What? Twelve years?

By the time you get there you could also be a doctor and a lawyer.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 05-10-2002, 11:57 PM   #14
Erik
Go to a college and ask them how long it will take to get your degree.

"Why son, it will take ya 4 long years."

No one cares, it's assumed and we wouldn't feel proud or smarter if it took us 10 years to get a degree as a general rule. And, we are encouraged to work hard towards getting that degree. We may even be so motivated that we take summer classes, get it in 3-1/2 years and when we do that we get to feel smarter.

Go to a dojo ask them how long it will take to get a black belt.

"WHAT! HOW DARE YOU ASK THIS QUESTION YOU UNHOLY AND UNWORTHY PIECE OF CAMEL SPIT!"

Sheesh! If it's just a black belt and you don't care about it then how come so many of us get worked up whenever someone asks about it? So what! They want a black belt. Cool! Help them learn what they need to know to get to that level and move on. No big deal and just like getting an education.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:09 AM   #15
Edward
Thailand
Well, we all agree that a black belt just marks the beginning of your training as a serious and dedicated aikidoist. If considered under this angle, I believe there is nothing wrong about really wanting to get a black belt as quickly as possible, of course with the necessary amount of long hours of hard training. It just says that you want to become part of this Yudansha world with their hakama, special training sessions, their special relationship with sensei, demonstrations...etc.

It might denote that the person is just impatient to achieve the above.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:34 AM   #16
Robin Walton
Unhappy

I am sorry i am asking bad questions I will try to ask better ones. Does any one know of a web site that answers beginner questions for people who dont have alot of experience in aikido or anything else?

Robin
Old 05-13-2002, 01:02 AM   #17
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Does any one know of a web site that answers beginner questions for people who dont have alot of experience in aikido or anything else?
www.aikidofaq.com
Old 05-13-2002, 01:35 AM   #18
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Hi Robin,

At a rough estimate, it took me about 700km of forward rolls, and about 1000km of backward rolls. In other words, I ended up further back than I started.

You asked a very valid question - as I'm sure you've guessed by now there's a lot of debate about it. In Japan a black belt tends to mark a much lower degree of expertise than in the West. It marks a proper student of the dojo, not a master aiki-killing machine. However, students will then spend a longer time at 1st and 2nd degree black belt. It all pretty much evens up by sandan (3rd degree black belt), though.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 05-13-2002, 10:13 AM   #19
ndiegel
Robin-

Most everybody (granted that they're not already well versed in philosophy of martial arts, or whatnot) will ask this question. It's not uncommon, and it's not a bad thing. I don't really believe you can ask a bad question (though there may be inappropriate times for them). I can say only that the average in our dojo (going 3-4 times per week) should take you about 5 years. Our top sensei (3rd Dan) has been training about 12 years. Don't expect anything quickly.

"Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything"
-Samurai Battle Chant
Old 05-13-2002, 10:22 AM   #20
akiy

Personally, I think it's odd that everywhere outside of Japan treats shodan to be a huge deal. Many, many people in Japan reach shodan in about a year. In my mind, shodan is not meant to be anything symbolic of "mastery" nor "ability to teach" but understanding the technical basics of the art.

In the United States, though, the average time to reach shodan is probably between four to seven years.

Here's a poll I conducted here about a year back asking, "How long did it take you to reach shodan in aikido?":

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=61

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-14-2002, 01:27 PM   #21
Kat.C
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
Personally, I think it's odd that everywhere outside of Japan treats shodan to be a huge deal. Many, many people in Japan reach shodan in about a year. In my mind, shodan is not meant to be anything symbolic of "mastery" nor "ability to teach" but understanding the technical basics of the art.

In the United States, though, the average time to reach shodan is probably between four to seven years.

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=61

-- Jun
Just curious about a couple of things, do people in Japan generally get in more training time per week than those in the States or Canada? Or do they pick it up much faster than we do?

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:50 PM   #22
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Kat.C
Just curious about a couple of things, do people in Japan generally get in more training time per week than those in the States or Canada? Or do they pick it up much faster than we do?
It's because Westerners are worthless creatures. We corrupt everything we touch and we are incapable of achieving the necessary mindset for harmonious interaction and integration with the world. The Asian traditions are the true beacons of enlightenment and truth. Their minds are more capable of grasping the secrets of Aiki.

We suck! We suck! We suck!

Just ask us and we'll tell you so.

And, we have low self-esteem too.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:48 PM   #23
guest1234
Kat,

I'm just guessing, but I'd say it probably has to do with a younger age and more plentiful dojos/classes (so more time to devote and opportunities to practice), say a college student with no family/spouse/job competing for limited time and chances to go to class three or more times a day.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:52 PM   #24
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Colleen has made a couple of good points in her post above, but Jun hit it on the head. The Japanese regard shodan in a much different light than a lot of practitioners outside of Japan.

Shodan basically means that there is a general understanding of fundamentals and a basic competency in demonstrating the shodan requirements. It also has a bit of "you've passed through the doorway and have paid some dues" sort of thing.

Quality in any person has lots to do with the ability (both performance and teaching abilities) of their teacher and the level of their peer group that they practice with most of the time.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-15-2002, 01:51 AM   #25
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Quote:
Originally posted by Kat.C

Kat, the point is that a typical Japanese shodan is not as good as a Western shodan (purely due to practice time). The grade is given at a very different level.

I think that what happened is that Western students went to Japan, got a nidan or sandan grade, and came back as Secret GrandMaster Panjandrum's. They then had to scale the grading requirements to keep themselves at the top.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)