Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Push Test with Ueshiba

Gaku Homma Kancho about the subject:

Quote:
Speaking from experience, I can relate my feelings about being an uchideshi and uke to the Founder, Morihei Ueshiba. Perhaps only those students who actually practiced with the Founder will truly understand my feelings. As full-time students of the Founder, our respect for him was of course paramount. Especially towards the end of his life, if the Founder asked his students to "push against him as hard as they could", there was not one student among us who could do that. It was not that we were not able to physically push him, it was that we couldn't.
http://www.nippon-kan.org/abroad/sco..._scotland.html
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
MM
United_States

Wow, cool, Demetrio. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #28
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I suppose you've read the complete article, isn't it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #29
DH
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I suppose you've read the complete article, isn't it.
http://www.nippon-kan.org/abroad/sco..._scotland.html
Here is a quote from the article.

Quote:
Deceptive teaching methods are not the responsibility of students. All students begin their practice as innocent beginners; especially younger students just beginning their own life journey. Instructors who prey on young minds with promises of magic "Ki" powers exploit this innocence. Instructors who use this method seem to be experts in their field, seem to have discovered the "essence" of Aikido through years of research and study. As I mentioned previously, "Ki" is only a part of the word Aikido, and cannot be extracted individually. Only by practicing Aikido techniques as a whole do aspects of "Ki" become absorbed into our mind and body consciousness, not the other way around.
Look at the highlighted bold items.I read this and find it to be the source of so much that is wrong. While decrying deceptive practices by "teaching experts"-it states a fallicy that KI cannot be extracted and practiced individually "outside of Aikido."
Someone go tell the Chinese. Or even other Japanese Schools that outdo Aikido with aiki.
It's not a bad article and he is of course speaking out of what he knows, but again, imagine being the guy telling him "Yes you CAN teach it in a condensed fashion outside of kata?" Imagine opening up *that can of worms.*
More anger, more denial, more debate...till he feels it and goes..."Oh!" I didn't know, that I didn't know you could do that.

Last edited by DH : 09-25-2008 at 12:09 AM.