Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #26
Mato-san
Iceland
Re: Brutality

For Anne Marie,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that people are not thinking what the word "brutal" means, but I think people use it in this context more as hard and tough

IMO Hard and tough does make sense for me but in an aikido world it has no place, in the street it is everything but there will always be someone around the corner who is harder or tougher, so why work toward it? Some like to do just that, then some find a more rewarding path! And Find it much more beneficial!

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #27
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

'I'm just pointing out that the likely end result of you defending yourself with Aikido will be bouncing someone with no knowlege of ukemi off an unmatted surface, or you ending up with someones arm twisted in such a way as to cause a substantial ammount of pain, potentially even to the point where something gets broken or dislocated.'

That doesnt make 'aikido' brutal. But I see what you were trying to say.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 AM   #28
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

I should also add: You can make virtually anything 'brutal' or whatever word you wish to substitute there. You could make 'Your Aikido' 'Brutal'. But that doesnt make 'Aikido' brutal. If you see what I mean?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:24 AM   #29
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

you guys are having problems with the concepts brutal, brutaly, brutality... sorry i don't have dictionary handy, but i believe a careful examination of the terms would give some insight...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 05:30 AM   #30
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Edwin, your having problems with appearing condescending...

Old 01-31-2006, 05:41 AM   #31
Edwin Neal
United_States

sorry not my intention, i think the use of the terms is a little 'loose' and more careful examination of the terms would give some insight...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #32
Mato-san
Iceland

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
'I'm just pointing out that the likely end result of you defending yourself with Aikido will be bouncing someone with no knowlege of ukemi off an unmatted surface, or you ending up with someones arm twisted in such a way as to cause a substantial ammount of pain, potentially even to the point where something gets broken or dislocated.'

That doesnt make 'aikido' brutal. But I see what you were trying to say.
Harmony may not be nice just "harmony", I am 100% with you on your call

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 AM   #33
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

I didnt say that, I was qouting Alex lawrence. I said: That doesnt make 'aikido' brutal. But I see what you were trying to say.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #34
Mato-san
Iceland

Brutal as far as I know it, and no I am not one who reads and sleeps with a dictionary but" force with the intension to harm ,animal like" is what I think it may mean. Literally, but I am simply stateing my opinion on it.For purpose of discussion. I like to hear what other have to say on it. I also agree that someone could make their aikido "brutal" but that is not true aikido. It is a form of aikido. Lets not argue that.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 AM   #35
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 AM   #36
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

Aikido being violent (and possibly damaging) is one thing, but that doesn't make it brutal. I wouldn't consider someone being assaulted who smashes his/her attackers face into the pavement or breaks their arm brutal. What they are doing is violent, but they aren't doing it because they like the smell of blood or the sound of bones breaking.
If you can defend yourself without harming your attacker, great, if you aren't confident in your ability to do it, stepping up the violence is completely neccessary. That doesn't make you brutal, it makes you concerned with your welfare and that of those around you.

I'd rather be brutal and alive than harmonious and dead, even if it means going for the throat, groin, eyes, liver, kneecaps or spine
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #37
Mato-san
Iceland

Mr Temple, I am with you also... I guess you have to live it to understand it, I did say harmony does not mean being nice!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #38
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Attention: www.dictionary.com
Old 01-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #39
Edwin Neal
United_States

bru·tal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brtl)
adj.
Extremely ruthless or cruel.
Crude or unfeeling in manner or speech.
Harsh; unrelenting: a brutal winter in the Arctic.
Disagreeably precise or penetrating: spoke with brutal honesty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brutal·ly adv.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

brutal

adj 1: (of weapons or instruments) causing suffering and pain; "brutal instruments of torture"; "cruel weapons of war" [syn: cruel] 2: (of persons or their actions) able or disposed to inflict pain or suffering; "a barbarous crime"; "brutal beatings"; "cruel tortures"; "Stalin's roughshod treatment of the kulaks"; "a savage slap"; "vicious kicks" [syn: barbarous, cruel, fell, roughshod, savage, vicious] 3: used of circumstances (especially weather) that cause suffering; "brutal weather"; "northern winters can be cruel"; "a cruel world"; "a harsh climate"; "a rigorous climate"; "unkind winters" [syn: cruel, harsh, rigorous, unkind]

Edwin Neal