Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
kokyu
Hong Kong
Irimi for Yokomenuchi gokyo

If you watch the omote and ura versions of yokomenuchi gokyo, the initial irimi looks similar, i.e. move to the side and off balance uke

Omote

Ura

This is quite confusing, because it appears that omote and ura start from the same foot movement. Even for katadori nikyo omote and ura, one can distinguish omote as a diagonal movement away from uke, while ura as a sideways movement, more in parallel with uke's shoulder... but the diagonal movement (in the form of irimi tenkan) doesn't quite work for yokomenuchi gokyo, because uke still presses you with the attack (or knife)... I've done some searching and I've found at least one school that emphasizes the ura version of yokomenuchi gokyo

... so my question is... is the initial foot/hand movement the same irregardless of whether the technique is omote or ura?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Irimi for Yokomenuchi gokyo

Nothing confusing on why gokyo for yokomen is done that way as you yourself have noted. Since you're keeping the blade away from you and above (for easy gokyo), going into an omote positioning just makes that all the more difficult so why do it?

If you're talking about kihon waza then, the initial movement is more or less fixed as you've indicated. Kind of why nikkyo omote looks more like an ikkyo variation rather than a nikkyo viz a viz the ura version.

Other than that, anything goes I suppose.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
If you watch the omote and ura versions of yokomenuchi gokyo, the initial irimi looks similar, i.e. move to the side and off balance uke

Omote

Ura

This is quite confusing, because it appears that omote and ura start from the same foot movement. Even for katadori nikyo omote and ura, one can distinguish omote as a diagonal movement away from uke, while ura as a sideways movement, more in parallel with uke's shoulder... but the diagonal movement (in the form of irimi tenkan) doesn't quite work for yokomenuchi gokyo, because uke still presses you with the attack (or knife)... I've done some searching and I've found at least one school that emphasizes the ura version of yokomenuchi gokyo

... so my question is... is the initial foot/hand movement the same irregardless of whether the technique is omote or ura?
Basic Yonkyo requires you to enter firmly into Ukes attack [make strong atemi to Ukes face ] .Control attack arm mid forearm and secure wrist of Uke. Since there can be a knife /bottle attack,
an irimi entry i.m.o. is not too clever[you may still be in danger from knife ].
Far better to enter into dead side of opponent [by utilising Tenkan ] and drive Uke with a forward motion into the tatami.Pin in usual manner.
I personally would meet the initial attack in an gyaku Hamni posture.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
NagaBaba

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
I think irimi entry is more easy to learn for beginners, that is why they teach you irimi for omote and ura. However, in reality, you can always meet yokomen going one step forward(irimi) or one step backward(we call it tenchi). It has nothing to do with omote or ura. Sometimes you are late in timing(or attack is way too powerful, or you want to create a surprise...etc), so you have no time to enter irimi. In such case you can do tenchi.

Of course you hit attacker while doing irimi or tenchi And don't worry about a knife, nobody will ever attack you like that. Not even your wife Tanto dori in aikido is not about knife fighting...

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Far better to enter into dead side of opponent [by utilising Tenkan ] and drive Uke with a forward motion into the tatami.Pin in usual manner.
I think it's a bit more difficult to enter dead side for yokomenuchi... would have to ensure uke's attack is swept away in front before moving to the dead side
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
And don't worry about a knife, nobody will ever attack you like that. Not even your wife Tanto dori in aikido is not about knife fighting...
Hmmm... yeah i guess tsuki is the most likely attack with a knife... although i'm not going to guess how your wife attacks