Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-20-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
Tiwaz
Ai symbol Beginner-training

I've trained Aikido for a month, and I train once a week (beginner). I've read some things about Ki and meditaion long before I started on Aikido. I think Aikido is really fun, i could train it seven days a week if I that would be possible for beginners.
The question is about how I could train on Aikido(-related things) in the time between the training once a week. I want to train more, so train by myself is the only way I can, but what/how could I train then?..
Old 09-20-2002, 08:39 AM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
You could do what I do - I bought some mats, laid them out on my living-room floor and practice Ukemi and hitori-waza daily, for as long as I want. Bugs the bejeezus out of the guy in the apartment below mine, but I don't like him anyway. (LOL - j/k)

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #3
cbrf4zr2
Whenever I lead class, I always emphasize footwork, footwork, footwork. And when we're done with that, more foot work.

Get your feet to know how to move on their own, and the rest becomes easy. A few things I did when I started training. Would go out to the beach in the morning after the tide went out, and there were no tracks or foot prints, and I would do "C-Step" after "C-Step" after "C-Step". Then I would see how my spacing was, and if I kept a decent line.

I also would do the "C-Step" on any straight line (a joint in a concrete floor, a line of tiles, anything)

If you can get the proper footwork "perfected" on your own, then you only have to worry about spacing and what you do with your hands when you get to class next.

One last thing, when doing the footwork exercizes, try and keep your center of gravity at the same level the whole time.

...then again, that's just me.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:13 AM   #4
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Practice your tenkan, tai no tenkan, tai no henko. If your doing deflections, suriage, ukena gaeshe. Practice yokomen and shomen strikes. As it was mentioned before, you could get some mats or just practice ukemi in the yard/field/park. Of course if your doing some paired waza with a friend, people think your fighting and the police might show up :P

Save for the ukemi, I practice the above outside the dojo on daily basis.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 09-20-2002, 09:15 AM   #5
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Quote:
Edward Frederick (cbrf4zr2) wrote:
Whenever

I also would do the "C-Step" on any straight line (a joint in a concrete floor, a line of tiles, anything)
What's this "C-Step"?

Eric
Old 09-20-2002, 09:38 AM   #6
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
You can never start to early with the jo and bokken, hopefully someone can teach you the basic elements and you can practise cutting and footwork. Weapons work really helps with aikido developement.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:22 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States
Practice ou tenkan circular stepping. Keep you alignment. Relax, breath, and enjoy yoruself.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
cbrf4zr2
The "C-Step".

I guess it depends on style, but it's just the tenkan turn that you would do for kotagaeshi, or a tenkan lead for iriminage, or the figure 8 kokyunage. WE call it a "C-Step" (for the beginners) because the foot that is not planted, makes a C chape when spinning.

Make sense now?

...then again, that's just me.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
xaj

Hi! Im a beginner too, but i usually practise my tenkan, irimi-tenkan(did i get this term correct?i think so.. ) etc..by just doing it when im walkin across the house or doin the housework.. Just imagine theres a attacker coming and follow through.. (i dont do imaginary locks though..just the footwork)
Old 09-29-2002, 10:24 AM   #10
Jermaine Alley
Dojo: Aikido Of Richmond
Do what you learn in class out of class

Justin,

Do what you practice in class in your head. Mental imagery is really good to practice when you are not in the dojo. At your level, I guess you can start seeing yourself rolling properly. Making yourself round so that no part of your body hits the mat squarely.

I oftentimes imagine my foot work in response to a specific attack.

Or..Practice Seiza or Shikko at home. When i started, i had the hardest time with seiza on my ankles and my knees...and that is with ten years of martial experience under my belt already.

If the "mental imagery" doesn't hit it off for ya, think about watching television at home in seiza for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. When you are done though, do a few leg extensions to keep the cartilidge in your knees strong. I don't know how old you are, but knee, ankle, wrist and back issues/injuries are popular in aikido/jujutsu...do what you can to keep yourself strong while you are still young.

And then you can always ready......

Jermaine
Old 09-29-2002, 02:16 PM   #11
Dangus
I agree on the practicing of Seiza at home, that's just something that's good for you anyway, and it prepares your mind and spirit which are the core of Aikido in my opinion.

Practicing the martial aspects of aikido by yourself is fairly hard though and probably not especially useful. Outside of the bokken, there's not a lot to learn on your own. Perhaps this is a weakness of Aikido, who knows.. Don't discount the use of another martial art, one that is highly form based, like karate, or my personal preference, kung-fu(or gung-fu if you will). Many other arts are highly useful for filling in gaps that Aikido misses, especially in leg use, but they also are much easier to do on your own, and as long as you don't let them confuse you too much, they can improve your Aikido just by the physical improvements they provide(coordination, etc.). Also, the discipline is always beneficial.

One overlooked aspect of multi-art training is that it helps keep any one art from becoming too much of a reflex. It forces you to think of each art more carefully, so you don't accidentally mix up moves. That means you remain more conscious of what you are doing. It provides more contrast that way. O Sensei practiced multiple arts IIRC, and look how that turned out...

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin