Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #26
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Uchideshi

I just attended a special training camp in Iwama celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Iwama dojo. It was led by the Doshu. There I learned some interesting things through what the Doshu said and by what was said by some of the old-timers at the party after. (note to self: high volume flow of alcohol = high volume flow of info.)

1. The Founder lived in Iwama not Tokyo. This was directly from the Doshu.

2. Moriteru Ueshiba had only trained at the Iwama dojo one time before this seminar, when he was a child.

3. Early post-war training at Iwama was attended by Shioda Sensei, Abe Sensei, and occasionally Tohei Sensei.

4. The Shihan who teach there now are trying to continue Saito Sensei`s teachings AND are completely loyal to Aikikai/Doshu. Isoyama Shihan, in particular, commented strongly that we must consider the Doshu to be the center of Aikido. (note to self: how does this fit in with the idea of tatemae and honne?)

5. The Founder taught special seminars to the local people on farming techniques, especially on the correct way of producing fertilizer. (OK, but it is interesting to me!)

As for the post-war Shihan who call themselves former uchideshi of the Founder, they all lived in Tokyo so how could they have been uchideshi? I don`t think they are lying, so maybe it is due to the fact that the second Doshu is considered to have been an extension of the Founder. Also, it is undeniable that these men dedicated their lives to Aikido, which they equate with the Founder.

Peter R.`s original question was what is our understanding of the word uchideshi. Considering my modicum of knowledge of Aikido history and Japanese culture in general, I`m gonna stick with the "total responsibility" idea.

Charles
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #27
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

Peter, this is a little off topic but I was wondering if there is a record of what constituted an examination for 9th dan? I'm just planning ahead.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 05-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

In Aikido Shugyo Shioda Kancho describes the test. The first part was sword, which didn't go too well...the second tachi waza, which went much better. Makes an interesting read. It did not bear much resemblence to what I know as examinations today.

Best,
Ron ( not Peter, but what the hay)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #29
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Hi Jim, (I'm also not Peter G. and I certainly wasn't there... but)

I'll bet that the "test" consisted of whatever Ueshiba Sensei thought it should be. The fact that Shioda thought he didn't do well shows me that it was a true test.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org