Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Arjan
Dojo: Isshin dojo
Netherlands
Buckets of sweat

Dear all,

After about 4 months of training Aikido rather intensively, I've noticed that I tend to sweat quite a lot more than my colleagues on the tatami...

After the warming up, my face is usually wet already and if we do some intensive exercises, I'm literally dripping. We did a randori yesterday and I could have easily squeezed a bucketof sweat out of my gi after class. I'm in quite a good shape, so that's not really the problem.

I don't really mind about all this sweating, in fact being more "slippery" tends to help when getting out of painful techniques from time to time And I'm familiar with the concept of deodorant, so the smell is quite bearable...

Yet, it is a bit embarassing when I'm dripping sweat, while my partner is perfectly dry and needs to wipe off his/her hands after throwing me around...
In fact, almost all colleagues seem to be 'drier' than I am...

One of my teacher in a previous martial art told me that sweating a lot is in fact really healthy and I'm wondering what your feelings are about this. Should I be proud about the apparently very healthy state of my body and feel sorry about those poor, dry Aikidoka? Or should I undergo radical surgery to have my pores blocked?

Arjan
Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Krista DeCoste
Canada
Re: Buckets of sweat

Hi Arjan.

I don't know much about any underlying health problems intense sweating could be a symptom of, but I can tell you there is a guy at my dojo who sweats buckets as well It doesn't bother me to work with him, its clear that is just the way it is with him.

Krista
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I heard something about heavy perspiration just meaning that you have a quick metabolism or something. In most cases I think its a good/healthy thing. There are deodarants you can get that stop you sweating.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Here's an old thread from a couple of years back.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ighlight=sweat

My understanding is that deodorants that stop you perspiring aren't very good for you. One they generally contain aluminium and two they block your pores. Sweating is a natural process for cooling down, to stop it means that you could potentially cause yourself some serious health issues. Personally I use a natural deodorant (thai deodorant crystal), doesn't stop me sweating but does stop me smelling .

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #5
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

I tend to sweat quite a bit when training.
Doesn't bother me, but I tend to watch out for dropping an extra atemi when I'm finishing off a shiho nage and I will wipe my own wrists before someone else grabs them.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States

I am the exact same way. I sweat doing everything. I remember as a kid coming in from outside( on the few occasionas we had snow) and my mom would be ask how in the world I could be sweating. In class I sweat a ton as well. I usually deoderize with AXE! body spray as well as deoderant.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
mj

Profuse sweating is normal in many martial arts, it helps keep the body cool. As long as you make sure and ahve access to liquids and do not become dehydrated it is not a problem.

And sweat does not smell - it only becomes unpleasant once it dries so as long as you are showering after training you again have no problems

Old 05-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
Charles Hammond

I know this problem well. I only have to look at physical exercise and I start to sweat. After a heavy session it has been known for me to leave a lovely body print on the mat after I've been thrown or held down.

Charles Hammond
Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

I can break sweat looking at a picture of people working out. Always been this way.

I wear a T-shirt for absorption as well as a thick Judo type Gi. I carry a white wash cloth in my Gi top to wipe my face, head, and wrists frequently.

Make sure you bath and eat well to minimize the odor of the sweat.

Welcome to the water club and to the mat.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
MatthewJones
United_States

Does anyone besides me turn really red, mostly face, chest and arms. I feel great, working right along, but I'm red man! Oh and I sweat of course... I'm a pretty sight.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
mj

Just another sign of healthy exercise

Old 05-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
jester

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Jones wrote:
Does anyone besides me turn really red, mostly face, chest and arms. I feel great, working right along, but I'm red man!
Sounds like me when I drink beer!

Instead of wearing a cotton Tshirt, check out:http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/default.asp

they make some really good stuff.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #13
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Just to add what has already been said,
Quote:
And sweat does not smell - it only becomes unpleasant once it dries so as long as you are showering after training you again have no problems
Right on the money, the smell comes from bacteria that grows on the stale sweat. So the sweat itself is not stinky but provides a great media to feed bacteria.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
Colbs

Lookup:

Hyperhydrosis (sp?)
Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #15
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Maybe try donating blood more regularly, and changing your diet.

Rob
Old 05-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #16
Arjan
Dojo: Isshin dojo
Netherlands

Just to clarify things a bit, there is no smell problem! You're more than welcome to sniff my armpits anytime, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience! I just sweat a lot when doing Aikido.
I do give blood and live and eat quite healthy in general, so I don't really see a solution there. I like the idea of the wash cloth, will certainly give that a try!

And considering the amount of "sweaters" that seems to be around on this forum, we might form something like "Anonymous Sweaters":

Hi, my name is Arjan and I sweat!

Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #17
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

I have the same problem, and contrary to popular belief, heavy sweating that makes your gi look like a sponge at the end of class is not a sign of good health.

I use a t-shirt under the gi to prevent excessive sweat dropping out onto the mat. even so it does become slippery if i stay in any one spot for two long. it doesn't smell if you had a bath before class first. as someone said earlier, sweat doesn't stink. only when the bacteria has a chance to breed in it will it start to stink.

A friend recommended that i see a chinese sensei and use acupuncture to regulate my excessive sweating. Haven't found a good one yet.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #18
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

You are sweating because your body is regulating it temperature and other processes. I am not familiar with medical reasons for more or less sweat.

Typically, I would not recommend putting on more clothes to mop up perspiration. Adding clothing usually only increases your core body temp, and your clothing becomes a perfect environment for bacteria (warm and moist). That translates into odor and wear and tear on your gi from washings.

Instead, try using moisture wicking underwear (shirts, underpants, etc.) There are many brands of this clothing and you can easily find them in most sports stores. I saw UnderAmror listed, but Nike, Reebok and other outdoor clothing manufacturers produce the material.

Also, an armband (hidden in your gi sleeve), or cloth can help mop yourself off; I knew a guy that used a car cham because it was so absorbant.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Hi my name is Bronson and I sweat...a lot

Google "excessive sweating", you'll get a bunch of hits.

Check out this link on DIAPHORESIS

Quote:
A friend recommended that i see a chinese sensei and use acupuncture to regulate my excessive sweating. Haven't found a good one yet.
My Sensei happens to be an acupuncturist, and from what I can tell is considered a good one, he told me it was normal (in my case) and to keep my dogi clean, a towel handy, and stay hydrated.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 AM   #20
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Heavy sweating *can* be a symptom of several diseases, but it does not sound like you suffer from any of them. In most cases it is just a matter of constitution. My husband is one of *you sweaters* as well ;-) and he is perfectly healthy otherwise. However, if you are worried or find that other symptoms start to occur, go and have it checked, of course.

Sweat should not be suppressed though and I can only second the advice given here earlier that antiperspirants (deodorants that stop the sweat) are not good for you. I have a couple of patients who have suffered from all sorts of stuff after using them for a while, including heavy allergies, skin irritations sleeping problems, etc. Using antiperspirants would be the equivalent of turning the cooling system of your car off whilst driving - not a good idea... It might be a pain in the *%"&? sometimes, but there is a good reason for sweating.

Oh, in ref to red face: even though I donīt sweat as much, I look like a 200 watt light bulb after 10 mins of practice :-)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #21
Amendes

Anyone ever try the climacool stuff they make at Adidas? Apparently it's supposed to work with sweat to cool you down quicker. I've never tried it, and since were on the topic I may as well ask.
I wonder if that would be of any help.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #22
Casey Martinson
Dojo: Meishinkan Dojo/Lehigh Acres

Not only is it unhealthy to plug your pores, but as mentioned above, almost all anti-perspirants contain aluminum which has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's, and other health problems. Stay away from it.