Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Deliberations on the transmission of knowledge

Note to self, a teacher and a student.

They say 'knowledge is power', and yes, it is, in the sense that bestows a form social and political power on the knowledge-wielder. There will always be honest seekers of knowledge, but nevertheless psychologically and emotionally weak. Those with knowledge will be presented with the opportunity to shoehorn their ideologies on these weak people, making out of them something beyond a student: a blind-faith devotee, a fanatic.

I find it interesting to navigate myself in a field (like martial arts), where people with knowledge can narrow the terms used in conversation between himself and the knowledge seeker. With this he can establish a hegemonic discourse (an unchallenged way of speaking to put it briefly) and can literally bring fanatics out of honest seekers--you can turn a supporter and instill in him a kind of loyalty that will make him politically hostile towards other ways and approaches. In other words, sycophancy at its lowest.

What implications does this have for the one with knowledge and the seeker?

As I mentioned above, 'knowledge is power' is not so much a proverb to juice your adrenaline and motivate you to seek knowledge so that you can feel powerful; it is more a warning to those who wield knowledge. It is easy to fall into the trap of pushing your worldview/ideology on weak students by baiting them with the knowledge you possess. While you have the knowledge, your perception of the knowledge is still subject to hermeneutical issues--that is, your perception is an interpretation and is embodied in a set of language that is subject to deconstruction. Should you become a teacher, bear in mind that the terms you set for conversation with the student will not by default transmit knowledge. Adapting and experimenting with the method and doing dirty work with the students will be the most ideal bring about a fluid yet efficient transmission model.

For the student, it is best that you have no political associations with any teacher. Even if you have a teacher with great knowledge, devoting yourself politically to this one teacher will bring about a risk that will halt your progression in acquiring the knowledge you're pursuing. There is a risk that the teacher's transmission method is flawed (his terms are not phenomenologically convenient, for example), or that the teacher itself is a solipsistic, power-hungry fascist, and is consciously aware that setting the terms for conversation is what will bring about sycophants, used only as fodder to satisfy the ego (acquiring a bit of the knowledge is only a by-product in this relationship between weak student and tyrant teacher). In either case, it is best to see these teachers as information sources, some among many. It is also best that you have a community of like-minded people, so that you collectively hash out the implications of the work, transmitted through a potentially flawed model. You see yourself in a field of information, making connections with the different objects in the field. You use the different information sources, cross-reference each source, see what cross-pollinates. Where things overlap, you will sure be sure to find principal. Practise in accordance to these principals, and any innovations will be checked and referred to the different information sources. This way, the information does not get lost in the sea of tyrants and poor teachers. In the mean time, look for the best way to codify the knowledge in such a way that the knowledge can be transmitted without the need for political allegiances.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
DH
United_States
Re: Deliberations on the transmission of knowledge

That was very interesting Lorel
As you know, I rarely participate anymore. I resolved that the debating with the "supposed" experts was best done by....meeting with real experts. It is much more conclusive to have a recognized expert put his hands on your back and dantian and then push with you and have them tell you that you are doing X, Y, and Z in their art, than argue on the web.

Sadly, I have noted that some of those shouting from the roof tops the loudest about "teachers holding back" and the "ugliness of martial politics" and the "games you have to play for information"...have proven in the fullness of time it is they themselves who have the darkest personalities and politicing of them all!!

The solution is to tell everyone to go out and train with all of the self proclaimed amateur/experts and the real experts as well. That, in and of itself, forces people to gain more exposure and form opinions on real skill, and method, and then think. Then they can find teachers/coaches with a stable personality that they can work with.

Teachers and coaches can be VERY weird, and information used as a whip or bat just isn't worth it to me. Anyone who tried to convince me they were the only one with knowledge and tried to narrow the dialogue to their terms or tried to convince me they were the arbiter of what is BS or truth...always...ALWAYS... turned out to be the one slinging the most BS. You see it with certain topics with people "crying for a discussion...." then they cancel out everything everyone says...but they themselves never offer anything of substance in rebuttal. Many people seem to have fallen for that.... in great heaping spoonfuls. It's great to be reading more and more people getting hip to this nonsense.
Speaking of nice....
The only place I have ever heard being "nice" written off and spoken about like it was some sort of social disease was in the Non aikido martial traditions section of Aikiweb by certain people. It was spoken about almost as a disqulaifier.

Thanks for reminding everyone to keep their B.S. meters on and
that there are some really fantastic people out there working it and right now this is including some real Martial art experts who are coming together in a common search for the heart of these arts. Wisely...and perhaps rightly so, I have noted that as time goes on,I am seeing certain people being written out of that search, mostly for the behavior you have noted.
All the best
Dan

Last edited by DH : 01-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
You see yourself in a field of information, making connections with the different objects in the field. You use the different information sources, cross-reference each source, see what cross-pollinates. Where things overlap, you will sure be sure to find principal. Practise in accordance to these principals, and any innovations will be checked and referred to the different information sources.
I really liked this part...because it's personally very meaningful and represents what I view to be an answer to so many issues different social interactions produce. Part of what makes humans so successful is our social nature...it's also what causes a relatively small disagreement to turn into something huge...or to put it another way: to waste time and energy on other people's petty BS.
...And we all have our own petty BS (even me), no sense in spreading it around to others. I believe at the end of the day it's all a matter of how dedicated to the truth and the learning of it we are, and that that is a skill worth focusing on all on its own.
...Something like that anyway.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 01-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
That was very interesting Lorel
As you know, I rarely participate anymore. I resolved that the debating with the "supposed" experts was best done by....meeting with real experts. It is much more conclusive to have a recognized expert put his hands on your back and dantian and then push with you and have them tell you that you are doing X, Y, and Z in their art, than argue on the web.

Sadly, I have noted that some of those shouting from the roof tops the loudest about "teachers holding back" and the "ugliness of martial politics" and the "games you have to play for information"...have proven in the fullness of time it is they themselves who have the darkest personalities and politicing of them all!!

The solution is to tell everyone to go out and train with all of the self proclaimed amateur/experts and the real experts as well. That, in and of itself, forces people to gain more exposure and form opinions on real skill, and method, and then think. Then they can find teachers/coaches with a stable personality that they can work with.

Teachers and coaches can be VERY weird, and information used as a whip or bat just isn't worth it to me. Anyone who tried to convince me they were the only one with knowledge and tried to narrow the dialogue to their terms or tried to convince me they were the arbiter of what is BS or truth...always...ALWAYS... turned out to be the one slinging the most BS. You see it with certain topics with people "crying for a discussion...." then they cancel out everything everyone says...but they themselves never offer anything of substance in rebuttal. Many people seem to have fallen for that.... in great heaping spoonfuls. It's great to be reading more and more people getting hip to this nonsense.
When it comes to IP/aiki it is great to see that Ark is like me...just get out there and do it, keep meeting these so called experts in the martial arts, and let their bodies try and back up their opinions, "understanding," and expertise, and see how it all works out. And in the end... just continue being nice.

Speaking of nice....
I heard a very similar story from Bill Gleason about "The honest exchange" of information and why the web is not the forum to do that in. "Why do you waste your time arguing with people who cannot deliver in real life and spend their time trying to defend a 'position? Don't you get it? They have a vested interest in BEING right. There is no honest intent...in...the discussion, to be had! It's just not worth it."

The only place I have ever heard being "nice" written off and spoken about like it was some sort of social disease was in the Non aikido martial traditions section of Aikiweb by certain people. It was spoken about almost as a disqulaifier.

Thanks for reminding everyone to keep their B.S. meters on and
that there are some really fantastic people out there working it and right now this is including some real Martial art experts who are coming together in a common search for the heart of these arts. Wisely...and perhaps rightly so, I have noted that as time goes on,I am seeing certain people being written out of that search, mostly for the behavior you have noted.
All the best
Dan
Hi Dan,

I knew you would appreciate this. I think it is important at this stage to meet with people because the path to acquire these skills has not been laid out. In other words, this stuff hasn't been 'codified' yet so really, discussion is not beneficial at all to those who are not exposed to these skills, and in part, beneficial for us who are exposed to these skills. Once this stuff has been codified and industrialised (for the sake of a better word), then maybe we can talk about instruction through words.

I'm in the strange position of not being able to train regularly with a group (I live in Osaka, and the Aunkai guys are in Tokyo) so this is a touchy subject for me. The only exposure I have for the most part to getting a true understanding of these skills are words from friends, and training logs and stuff like that. So when I am not allowed to think and tinker with the contents of this stuff, when someone from up and above prevents 'discussion', then I have to cry foul, in some way or another.

Training with 'nice' people is a good way to put it. However, I think there is an unseen gravity here. There is a potential for people to lose their integrity (moral integrity perhaps) in pursuit of these skills. Call it a Faustian bargain. I think it is important to note that we do not need to make 'Faustian bargains' in pursuit of these skills and that the knowledge is out there, and wielded by nice and genuine people who sincerely want to give this knowledge to people.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

I also want to add that you can still be loyal to someone. So long as there is mutual respect from both student and teacher and the teacher understands that the stuff we're learning is difficult and permits a degree of flexibility to the student to try to figure this stuff on one's own.

I made it seem like you can't be loyal to anything in the OP, but I drew that conclusion from the consideration that in a world of tyrants, drama, poor teachers, etc., then it is difficult to maintain loyalties.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

double post

Last edited by Lorel Latorilla : 01-03-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: dp

Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
I also want to add that you can still be loyal to someone. So long as there is mutual respect from both student and teacher and the teacher understands that the stuff we're learning is difficult and permits a degree of flexibility to the student to try to figure this stuff on one's own.

I made it seem like you can't be loyal to anything in the OP, but I drew that conclusion from the consideration that in a world of tyrants, drama, poor teachers, etc., then it is difficult to maintain loyalties.
I thought it was fairly clear you weren't speaking against loyalty. You spoke of a problem things like loyalty tend to produce. I like what you've described, but for me it has nothing to do with my experiences in martial arts...I simply haven't been around that block enough for it to be an issue for me. I grew up wrestling with this idea and over time came to a very lonely position in life simply because I was more loyal to the concept of truth than I was to any person...and I still am, really. The best of people do the worst of things. I try to be loyal to virtue and to people who demonstrate a degree of reliability for sincerity in that regard. "Mutual respect" is a great phrase for this. Of course there is a natural hierarchy for the dissemination of knowledge, and it's important to respect that. The problem comes when two people disagree on which direction that flow ought go (or forget there can be multiple flows), and either both seek to impose their view on the other, or one acquiesces (or they disengage from each other comepletely).
As usual, I don't feel like I'm contributing in a very organized way, so I guess I'll stop for now. This topic brings up so many ideas for me it's hard to pick from them and make something cohesive come about. Good food for thought at the least, so thank you for that!
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States

Ermmm.... shouldn't this thread be in "Open Discussions" or maybe "Spiritual" or "Not Responsible for Myself" or something?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

It's a tricky path to walk no matter how you cut it. I think it depends on what you want to get out of it and the benchmarks you set (and modify as you get more knowledge over time) for yourself on performance, attainment, etc. For some, the path is just as much a part of belonging to something greater than yourself. For others, its a mechanism to exert control on the world, including other people, through various means.

Particularly with "this stuff" there's been a historical precedent for it being doled out in secrecy, or with many strings attached. What has been true, that I've found in the seeking of any kind of knowledge. You can't expect what you are seeking or want to attain to change itself for you . . you need to adapt yourself to it, for better or worse. Sometimes the terms are unacceptable and you have to move on .. for better or worse.

I regard civility as important and pretty much have been happy to work with whomever has wanted to come by and play around with "this stuff". I show them what I'm working on, sometimes they come back, sometimes it's a one and done. I seek out others to put hands on with, so I kinda agree, you have to get out and see what people are doing, spend some time working on things and never get too comfortable.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Ermmm.... shouldn't this thread be in "Open Discussions" or maybe "Spiritual" or "Not Responsible for Myself" or something?
My vote is for open discussions...or maybe "Responsible for Myself," since I see this as a matter pointing to the self as needing to step up, rather than dropping in line behind others.
Whatever the case, it certainly applies to Aikido as much as with any other tradition...although now I can see it's being put more in the context of "internals," which I guess has largely been discussed in terms of non-Aikido traditions.
I guess I was the only one trying to apply it across the board then? Sorry if I misunderstood the context.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 01-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Gary David

United_States

In starting out we all need the teacher to get a kick-start and generally these individuals are associated with some organization. For most of us this is how the journey started. Many of us have taken up a number of different arts over the years, me included, moving on as interests changed. Some have started and stayed with the initial practice, never wavering along the way. Both work. For me what I would characterize as substantive learning comes in differing ways, one being in small groups of like minded people who have enough skill/knowledge to work things out and are in physical contact with each other on a regular basis. Another is that "ah ha" when something keys the combining of a number of loose thoughts into a useful whole. Another might be in taking or "stealing" something useful from a weekend workshop or single encounters, it may come from watching your kid's movements. Discussions and forums are also sources of input that can help along the way though I would say that open discussions, along with private forums, have similar lifelines…….at some point they no longer have truly open discussions. Not complaining, just what I see. The nature of groups being what they are, at some point someone or some grouping of individuals become the experts and drown out much of the free discussion with the same folks asking then answering the questions.

In the end it is each of us who is responsible for ourselves, for figuring out who we can trust along with giving respect where it is earned and returned.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I thought it was fairly clear you weren't speaking against loyalty. You spoke of a problem things like loyalty tend to produce. I like what you've described, but for me it has nothing to do with my experiences in martial arts...I simply haven't been around that block enough for it to be an issue for me. I grew up wrestling with this idea and over time came to a very lonely position in life simply because I was more loyal to the concept of truth than I was to any person...and I still am, really. The best of people do the worst of things. I try to be loyal to virtue and to people who demonstrate a degree of reliability for sincerity in that regard. "Mutual respect" is a great phrase for this. Of course there is a natural hierarchy for the dissemination of knowledge, and it's important to respect that. The problem comes when two people disagree on which direction that flow ought go (or forget there can be multiple flows), and either both seek to impose their view on the other, or one acquiesces (or they disengage from each other comepletely).
As usual, I don't feel like I'm contributing in a very organized way, so I guess I'll stop for now. This topic brings up so many ideas for me it's hard to pick from them and make something cohesive come about. Good food for thought at the least, so thank you for that!
Take care,
Matt
Yeah, I'm all for loyalty. The instance where one is entrusted and made to promise to preserve cultural traditions (nevertheless traditions that are not made to impede individual progress but ones that are used as a pedagogical paradigms to ensure progress) is a form of loyalty that I can respect.

The kind of loyalty that I think is also good is one where you are loyal to the community of like-minded people. That is, you're not doing this for your own skills but you're out to help those in the community as well, and also help the leader of the community, a person who is most likely having trouble disseminating the skills he knows to the students he teaches. Once you're in this, it is difficult for you to make 'Faustian bargains'--you are less tempted to compromise your moral integrity for whatever knowledge/skill you pursue because you are committed to community. But the baseline for that commitment is trust and friendship and all that, so those who think that the pursue of knowledge is mutually exclusive with friendships/trust/single-minded in pursuit and that seeking both in martial arts is worthless is missing the benefits of communal learning.

As far as being loyal to truth (in martial arts at least), I think that's a deeper topic that's worth pursuing in another thread.

To bring up another thread from my OP:

They say, when you are ready to be a student, then the teacher will appear. That is, when you know what to look for, you know know what questions to ask, and the teacher (whoever and whatever that may be) will have answers fr you. If you do not know what you are looking for, you cannot be a student, and therefore you will not find your teacher. You don't know what to ask, the answers cannot be given to you.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Tin Tran
United_States

The louder someone talk about honor and integrity, the faster I count my silverwares. Or something like that

Tin
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Who are these strange people that come out of the woodwork? Why does he make negative comments? Is he associated with some power-hungry, fascist teachers? Did I hurt his feelings after raising this issue?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
thisisnotreal

Really interesting thread Lorel. Insightful deliberations. Thank you for sharing.
I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind; so some of this may be off topic; but your ideas made me think of these things..

Quote:
To bring up another thread from my OP:

They say, when you are ready to be a student, then the teacher will appear. That is, when you know what to look for, you know know what questions to ask, and the teacher (whoever and whatever that may be) will have answers fr you. If you do not know what you are looking for, you cannot be a student, and therefore you will not find your teacher. You don't know what to ask, the answers cannot be given to you.
On the one hand this is an insightful comment on the nature of the condition of being ready to learn; but on the other; I think it can imply that a certain type, will see and divide a 'handle' with which to grab and capture the heart of the sincere seeker. i.e. "When you know what you want to hear; someone will appear to tell you that very thing." I'm sure...this happens everywhere that there is a search for something...as you indicated. Personally I find - It is a tough thing to stay truly open and at the same time stay vigilant. ... I can see why some people become cranky old bastards who don't listen and can't hear a damn thing.

A few other thoughts (M 2 C)...
-In this life, AFAIK, the sharks and snakes will always be there. Hence the old saying to be as wise as the serpent but as harmless as the doves. (That said the doves can and do poop on people's heads from time to time).
-Eventually the true nature comes to the surface; but unfortunately sometimes it is too late. There is a saying; 'whatever is in your heart will determine what you say.'. It will come out. Eventually. Did you see "There Will be Blood"? Good movie. Just like that.
-Helping other weaker people is good. And threads like these reminding others that trickery and cunning are to dealt with..... reminds others to help where they can. I think most do, most of the time when they can.
-Silence can be interpreted in many ways. When someone is silent....in that Silence, the listener can confer the wisdom of the sage...or whatever else it is we tend to want to hear. A specific example; and in the context of, say westerners immersed in eastern martial arts, (where they don't speak the native language. Is that most of us?); if a teacher plays quiet or the role of the warrior sage; or just simply say little, or speak in circles, or deceit.... it is wise to be take stock of what is actually said, and perhaps even more importantly, what goes unsaid.

For instance; while, yes, there is the concept of the 2 digit IQ test , it is another thing entirely for the type of politicking, power lording and fiefdom building, sniping, dishonesty, ruses, flow-chart bait and switch discussion, etc. that you mention.
-Acknowledging reality. The bullshit we are discussing ... is practiced. In the MA, any tactical endeavor, and adversaries in life, for that matter, we are instructed not to 'play the other guys` game'..but don't' be mistaken...this type of deception you talk about ... -is- the other guys` game...and, in many cases, it is just a game too. What to do? I think Dan and you nailed it up there.
-obfuscation. In Intel circles there is the concept of 'muddying the waters'. The best place to hide the counterfeit is right next to the original. That only works if you're not sure exactly what you're looking for. It is BS; but again; effective if you want to play that game... .and keep others off target. and in the dark, and to lord the information as power. blah blah blah.

In one way; yes; shame on you for being fooled (i.e. life is hard) but on the other hand; it is hard to swim with a guys foot on your head. yeah. I guess, all in all, this is a case, of sink or swim.
and to know, in life... sharks are patrolling these waters.

Knowing is half the battle.

note: The other half involves guns.
--
Last thought:
"Establish virtue and honor as your guiding principles and your will and purpose will be bound as metal to stone".
I think the best go this way.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Josh Philipson wrote: View Post
"Establish virtue and honor as your guiding principles and your will and purpose will be bound as metal to stone".

I think the best go this way.
I thought the source was this guy

but it actually is

Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Tin Tran
United_States

Quote:
Who are these strange people that come out of the woodwork? Why does he make negative comments? Is he associated with some power-hungry, fascist teachers? Did I hurt his feelings after raising this issue?
"Strange"? "Power-hungry, fascist teachers"? "Hurt feelings"? "Issue"? Ha ha ha ha!

Nah, I have no use for passive aggressive doublespeak. If you want to name names, then name them.

Tin
Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Tin Tran wrote: View Post
If you want to name names, then name them.

Tin
George Patton (played by George C. Scott). Wang Shujin.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
"Strange"? "Power-hungry, fascist teachers"? "Hurt feelings"? "Issue"? Ha ha ha ha!

Nah, I have no use for passive aggressive doublespeak. If you want to name names, then name them.

Tin
?

Like I said, people, who is this guy? I don't know him. Can anyone give me information about this guy? Also, I find it interesting that he's accusing me of passive-aggressive double-speak when his first reply was basically passive-aggressive. Can anyone tell me about this guy?

Tom?

Oh and Josh I'll reply to you later. Gonna catch some zzz's now.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
?

I find it interesting that he's accusing me of passive-aggressive double-speak when his first reply was basically passive-aggressive.
My perception also. And thus, the second also.

David Henderson
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
My perception also. And thus, the second also.
Probably depends on whether Lorel was taking a veiled swipe at anyone with the whole thread. Whaddya think?

Mike
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Tin Tran
United_States

[quote=Lorel Latorilla;271772Also, I find it interesting that he's accusing me of passive-aggressive double-speak when his first reply was basically passive-aggressive. [/QUOTE]

Well, I thought that paraphrase from Emerson was pretty aggressive myself- there wasn't any doubt about the general points I was addressing I mean, you got it right away, right? If you didn't, then I might have given you too much credit for all those big words you were throwing around

Tin
Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

To reply to what a particular gentleman wrote:

Veiled swipe, sure, and it was mainly a swipe towards myself (hence the note to self in the beginning). I too could be tempted to go that route when I have knowledge. I don't want to be a nasty, snakish, fascist teacher that wants to hold the keys to knowledge. I want to be generous with my knowledge. And since this world is full of snakes (not just in the field of martial arts), I have to be very vigilant about who I associate with.

I wrote it originally for myself, but I also wrote it for those who may not be aware that snake in the grass are not myths and exist as men who may appear to mean well but are slithering and sliding towards a snakey goal, poisoning anyone with venom who stands in the way, and also that there is such thing as a Faustian bargain involved in the pursuit of knowledge, and to make them aware that they do not need to partake in this Faustian bargain and that you can pursue knowledge, even as you pursue a path of righteousness. I also wrote to help people be aware that they too can fall and become a snake teacher when they possess the knowledge. The ones saw that that was my intent of my writing, were grateful for the awareness that I brought them.

Lastly, if what I wrote offends people out there--what have they got to be offended about besides the fact that they could possibly be that snake teacher or that they are the ones deceived by the snake teacher? I only intend to write truth. And sometimes truth will pierce like a sword, but it can also be comforting and encouraging to those that don't want to venture to the 'dark side'. In other words, if you're not a snakey teacher that tries to make sycophants out of students, then we can get along and enjoy ourselves on the pursuit of knowledge (of varying degrees of course). If you're not that snake or the snake charmer, then there is no need to feel offense. If you're not a snake (or a snake charmer), take the post for what it is (a deliberation of transmission of knowledge) and prepare yourself so you don't become a snake or be bitten by a snake.

Last edited by Lorel Latorilla : 01-04-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #24
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
I only intend to write truth.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Well, I thought that paraphrase from Emerson was pretty aggressive myself- there wasn't any doubt about the general points I was addressing I mean, you got it right away, right? If you didn't, then I might have given you too much credit for all those big words you were throwing around

Tin
Who is this strange strange man that keeps antagonizing me yet fails to analyze what I just posted? Doesn't he also understand that paraphrasing an unclear statement (I knew he really meant to say "dude you know nothing about integrity and honor so shut up") originally made by a famous author and ending it with a winky emoticon is a form of passive-aggressiveness? Also, I use big words, but that has no relation to how I understood the gentleman's paraphrase of Emerson's statement since this strange man obviously knows about Emerson but messed up on his verb conjugations and his pluralization.