Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #26
Marc Pieniazek
Dojo: Shin-Gi-Tai Aikido
Wales
Re: The Matrix Online/Aikido

Quote:
Ben Eaton wrote:
I would have thought aikido would not be included, purely due to continuity.
Continuity goes beyond what you see on screen. I read somewhere that Neo was supposedly "taught" a lot more than what you see on screen.

Being able to use Aikido inside the Matrix doesn't break the continuity anyway just because nobody used it in the films

Rob; one of the underlying themes explored by the Matrix films was that of balance. The Smith 'virus' was a result of the Matrix trying to balance itself against the anomaly (Neo). Thus the fight scenes had to reflect this.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #27
Ben Eaton
Dojo: Loughborough Uni
United Kingdom

Quote:
Marc Pieniazek wrote:
Continuity goes beyond what you see on screen. I read somewhere that Neo was supposedly "taught" a lot more than what you see on screen.
They weren't exactly specific in that scene.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #28
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Marc, fair point. I guess it just didn't seem all that balanced when no one was able to defeat an agent. I suppose that when I see a movie through aikido tinted eyes, I look for opportunities to explore some aikido ideas to the nth degree. I think the Matrix would have allowed that better than most.

Orsen Scott Card took the Ender's Game series a different direction with Ender's Shadow. Maybe someone will explore the Matrix differently some day too. Understand that I watched the Matrix about 20 times in a row on flight coming back from Japan after a month of nonstop aikido training. I got off the plane and went straight to class from the airport. My partner went to put a nikkyo on me, and I tried to do that Morpheus move where you plant one hand on the ground and do a double kick at their mid section. I actually pulled it off - but I didn't hit with any power. My partner was pretty good so he just laughed.

I'll get back to aikido posts again before I turn into the comic book guy from the simpsons... "Worst Matrix sequel ever!"

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 05-17-2005 at 05:51 AM.