Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: ineffective technique from sensei?

Quote:
my instructor is a 3rd dan aikikai who got his 3rd dan after more than 10 years which I guess is quite some time in aikikai
Not really... It's pretty short, actually...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Not really... It's pretty short, actually...
All depends on the dojo and the environment. I've been beaten up by a 10 year sandan - all her 10 years at Aikikai Hombu in Shinjuku.

I, on the other hand, started in 1993, already had a shodan from judo, spent 6 years as a san-kyu, (long story during which I very nearly hung up the obi). Shodan 2007, Nidan 2009.

W
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

Personally, I have had a few people challenge/question my teachings and some of the techniques I use. After the first time, they were convinced that they work. If you have any doubts about your sensei, then talk to him and ask him what you have to. You might find out there is a method to his teaching. How long have you been practicing aikido and how long have you been with this present sensei?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #29
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Would he in front of the class confront his teacher, this would be a challenge and he would possibly undermine him. But...I agree the best is to talk about with his teacher, one-on-one. Builds character...
Seems to me that questioning your sensei in front of the entire aikido community on the internet( possibly including your sensei and your fellow students, who very well may be reading this) would be worse than doing so in the dojo....
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #30
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Seems to me that questioning your sensei in front of the entire aikido community on the internet( possibly including your sensei and your fellow students, who very well may be reading this) would be worse than doing so in the dojo....
Dear Cherie,
At last a 4thKyu who understands correct action!Maybe there is hope yet for Aikido.Well done, Cherie,you have more understanding of the situation than the original thread starter.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
All depends on the dojo and the environment. I've been beaten up by a 10 year sandan - all her 10 years at Aikikai Hombu in Shinjuku.
They must have different hours requirements at Hombu then. I'm not sure that you could meet the Aikikai requirement for hours for sandan in ten years of you trained every single day.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #32
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I don't know if the sandan in question has a total of ten years of experience or was promoted ten years after nidan. I think he means the former. From what I've been told by others, rank comes more quickly in Japan than elsewhere, with university club members commonly going from no rank to nidan by graduation four years later. I also have been told that a student at Hombu can attend numerous classes each day as well. Ten years to sandan in AAA would be fairly quick, with most taking five to seven years to shodan and then a minimum of 48 months from shodan to sandan.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #33
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
I don't think the OP is talking about henka waza. I think he's talking about variations on kihon waza. Perhaps his instructor is calling them "henkei" waza.
oic.. that's called henkei waza.. all this time, everyone in my dojo only knows it as henka waza.. my instructor also calls it henka waza. yes, what I've been talking about should be referred to henkei waza.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Why would you think that that was impossible? It's quite common that an instructor will end up with a batch of beginners, none of whom has decent ukemi. If you're the best of a bad lot, that doesn't make you good.
I've just realized that too. thanks..

Quote:
Denis Mysenko wrote: View Post
If you don't like something about your current dojo including your instructor's style - why not just change the dojo?

Naturally some students prefer one instructor and others prefer another one. It's easier to change the instructor rather than fight with the "system".
there's only 1 dojo in my neighborhood.. even if I can switch dojo, I like the people in my current dojo. so I don't want to move.

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear David,
I mean no disrespect to your instructor when I say that sandan does not mean your instructor has mastered Henka Waza.There may well be flaws in his waza.If indeed you see openings in your Senseis waza, surely it would have been better to quietly ask him /exchange views with him rather than post this type of blog .
Frankly I think you show little respect for your instructor and lack courage when you fail to discuss this issue with your instructor.
As a senior?in your dojo, in my opinion you should have more respect to your Sensei.I believe you have undermined your Sensei.
Joe.
Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
It might be too big a step to 'confront' your teacher. He is clearly struggling with his experience with/view of his teacher. First question yourself, then the other. So it is wise to get informed the best you can and prepare well. He merely vents his experience, does not really judge his teacher, only questions him.
Would he in front of the class confront his teacher, this would be a challenge and he would possibly undermine him. But...I agree the best is to talk about with his teacher, one-on-one. Builds character...
Quote:
I see.. I've never thought of that. I thought I can be open about my feelings on the internet. I'll be careful not to say bad things in the future. my original intention was to share my feelings and ask if anyone has the same experience as me and what they did about it..

I'm sorry if I offend anyone in anyway with my posts.

thank you for your comments. can aikiweb modz lock this thread? I don't think this thread is going anywhere.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #34
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Quote:
They must have different hours requirements at Hombu then. I'm not sure that you could meet the Aikikai requirement for hours for sandan in ten years of you trained every single day.
I have an aikikai shodan and there was no hours requirement at all, just a years requirement, and you could get your sandan according to this one... it's one year after first kyu for shodan, then two years for nidan and then three years for sandan. It is definetely possible to get your shodan after five years, so you could have your sandan after 10...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #35
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
It's possible but you'd have to progress pretty well/fast; the minimum time would be just under 7 years for Yondan.

If you start when you're fifteen and trained almost every day for the first year then for bring total days up to just over 1315 days over 7 years you could meet minimum requirements by the age of 22...

Minimum requirements; I'd be surprised if this was anywhere near the norm though...

Source: http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/gradingsystem.htm

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #36
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Perhaps there is an opportunity to ask your teacher to throw you after class....maybe investigate the technique a little deeper. This is a situation where, likely, you can point out the portions of the technique (without opening your mouth:-) that are weak. This is an honest exchange of information through the technique. He will be grateful...I hope, and, in my view, you have taken the most useful and honest approach to clearing up your doubts.

Cheers,

Russ
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #37
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:
Could not agree more. The fact that it happens anonymously to me indicates that the poster is somehow aware of the implications, but made poor judgement on how to proceed on the matter.
On the other he queries the experience of others, which is good. But even better to consult fellows students, instead of going 'public'.

no offense on my side, none at all :-))

So still +1 for the poster to take actions and find his way!

Last edited by Tim Ruijs : 08-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #38
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
It's possible but you'd have to progress pretty well/fast; the minimum time would be just under 7 years for Yondan.

If you start when you're fifteen and trained almost every day for the first year then for bring total days up to just over 1315 days over 7 years you could meet minimum requirements by the age of 22...

Minimum requirements; I'd be surprised if this was anywhere near the norm though...

Source: http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/gradingsystem.htm
I'm wondering: do you really count the training hours at your dojos? Because in our place (and I think in other I know, too), we don't keep lists or anything, so I honestly couldn't tell you my training hours. We just look at the requirements in years (or months, for the kyu grades), those have to be fulfilled, and then the teacher decides if you're ready or not. If you haven't trained reularly, you probably won't be...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #39
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Alissa Götzinger wrote: View Post
I'm wondering: do you really count the training hours at your dojos? Because in our place (and I think in other I know, too), we don't keep lists or anything, so I honestly couldn't tell you my training hours.
We do -- they're compiled by one of the senior students (although it's really days even though we always refer to it as "hours" -- you get credited for one day if you train one hour that day or three hours that day. They're not posted or anything, though, so if you want to keep track of your hours, that's up to you (Sensei won't tell you). And then every now and then Sensei looks at the hours and says, "You, you, you, you and you are testing."
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #40
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
my instructor is a 3rd dan aikikai who got his 3rd dan after more than 10 years which I guess is quite some time in aikikai and he was some kind of a "street" person so he tends to get into some fights. but 95% at the time he was teaching class, he always teaches henka waza. I have no problem in learning something new, but the problem is when I think some of his henka waza isn't effective. I know this because I have been the one he used as uke most of the time. when he's doing the technique, there's an opening for a punch or a kick or elbow strike which doesn't occur as much in kihon waza (that's why I like kihon waza and repect O Sensei so much for his research on human body). in some other times, I deliberately loosen my grip so that he doesn't look bad when performing a technique.

I know I should respect him for teaching. maybe this is just a rant or sharing.. but I would like to know if anyone has had similar experience..
When I did my Ikkyu test with Kawahara-shihan presiding, he remarked that while I was doing some pre-rehearsed henka-waza, MOST aikido is henka-waza..
I think it means that nage initiates, causing uke to attack, and then nage does a henka...
I think.

However - others have remarked that perhaps the openings are there because he's teaching stuff at a relatively low pace. I've had people pointing out the shortcomings of a particular technique that I've been trying at low pace, only to change their minds when things got going and there wasn't the time available to regain balance between stages of the technique. Maybe if your sensei were moving at full tilt and you'd really been attacking, he wouldn't have given up so many openings. If he does give up openings at more 'live' speed, perhaps he needs a reminder about the openings - an open palm light strike to the opening, perhaps, which might serve to wake him up and fix his teaching... Not sure if it would be appropriate to do this while the tech was being demonstrated... Perhaps during the practice with your partner stage, you could ask the sensei to help you understand better, and point out the openings (if they're truly there). If they do exist, a good sensei will call the group together again, acknowledge your input, and teach how to avoid leaving the opening.

Cheers,
W
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #41
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
I can't say. The woman knew her stuff. I think if you train at the world headquarters for 10 years, and do it regularly with the guys who are the shihan going on world tours, then you get pretty good, pretty quick...
Cheers
W
Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #42
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Alissa Götzinger wrote: View Post
I'm wondering: do you really count the training hours at your dojos?... We just look at the requirements in years ...
Oh?
When you do your dan examination at the AFD you have to fill in the number of days of practice in your application form. Because it's a hombu grade and hombu requirements have to be fullfilled.

If you practice three times a week on a regular base plus some seminars you will approximately meet the minimum number of years of practice before next grading.