Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2002, 04:35 AM   #26
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

hmm there are alsorts

usualy when i train i have some song or another stuck in my head (i'm one of those ppl who get songs really stuck in their head for days)

but when i Atemi i usualy say the word 'Atemi' or sometimes 'Hai' not sure why tho, as for Yonkyo its usualy 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!' followed by my feat banging on the mat

and tenchi nage 'Gaggggckkkk hmphfff...'

the 'gaggggckkk' is the finger in the neck and the 'hmphfff' is the air knocked out of me as i go splat...

I really must breathe out before i splat tho,

if i'm giving it flair i'll pretend to be bruce lee 'WhAAAAAAAaaahtAAAHHHHHHHHH!'

hehehe

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:48 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Many martial artists would argue that any old sound is not appropriate for the kiai. Ueshiba used Yah and eey alot; not sure if these were related to Kotadama. Speaking to someone who does alot of tibetan chanting he was saying that the ki cannot be released if the word ends with the tongue on the roof of the mouth or the throat constricted, thus kiai should end with a vowel sound and not something like 'kick','dig','cut', 'strike' etc.

For me the kiai helps with the contracting of the abdominal muscles, and also the coordination of the whole bodies muscles. It does have a large effect (I have noticed in weapon work that if someone attacks me whilst using kiai, I generally need to use kiai to defend effectively due to the increased power!). Thus Yah and Eeey are excellent words (and Ueshiba actually recomends them). Another one of my favourites is 'die'.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-21-2002, 01:28 PM   #28
AlanWardroper
Dojo: Salt Spring Aikikai
Canada
Lightbulb FOOM

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
Personally, my sound effects all go back to comic books, especially Marvel (Spiderman), and DC's Batman...Foom! Swoosh! and Thwapp!
I always thought FOOM stood for Friends Of Ol' Marvel -- wasn't that a Marvel fan club thing for a while in the 70s?
Old 09-21-2002, 02:15 PM   #29
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
As long as we are talking about the humorous sounds ...

Slurp that drool before it hits the mat, haven't we got enough to clean up around here?

And that chant you do when you start to sweat," Oh, God ... Make 'em stop ... I think that I am .... going to drop." What is that all about?

Oh, is a sound, but where does whining come into training? It should be growling, shouldn't it?

And my favorite sounds ... Yame ... class is over.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:27 PM   #30
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
When doing technique, I have a habit of pursing my lips, and making a small popping sound as Uke hits the mat, or when launching them with a long throw

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 09-26-2002, 04:22 PM   #31
davoravo
Quote:
Speaking to someone who does alot of tibetan chanting he was saying that the ki cannot be released if the word ends with the tongue on the roof of the mouth or the throat constricted, thus kiai should end with a vowel sound and not something like 'kick','dig','cut', 'strike' etc.
One sensei told me that Saito sensei liked a short sharp kiai. So we use "EEHP" to blend agaisnt a strongly resistant uke and "AAHP" to atemi.

PS waltz time should be 1-2-throw (on the 3)

David McNamara
Old 09-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #32
Jucas
Dojo: Multnomah Aikikai
As everyone, I have many different sounds that rise from my koshi.

They seem to come from my center, and they really improve my technique...

My favorites:

Nage

"Sooooooooaaaaa..."

Uke

"Haaaaauiii..."

"*Crack!*..... good god! I can't feel my legs!"

and a follow up to the aforementioned-

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

But the one that seems to rise above all the rest in aiki spirit:

"Quack!"

• Like a rotten log half burried in the ground.
  • My Life which has not flowered.
  • Comes to this sad end.
-Minamoto Yorimasa
Old 10-12-2002, 03:16 PM   #33
Eila Saarni

Wink Best sound to make when doing tech?

usually what happens:gasp with a slight sound, when Nage steps on my fingers,a kind of pinched throat noise/croak when beginer nage holds me down by the neck when I'm in forward roll stance for Kaiten-nage and sholder makes fun noises like rice krispies cerial and milk ,after I'm thrown ,the good old fashond yelp, when they kneel on my hair or dont stop the pin after tapping out (tap...TAP..taptaptaptaptap..... *weird kind of kick when youre on your belly, on the mat with sankyo pin** and a few STOP THATs and le'ggo's!!!) anf much much more... or I' shall make a list
Old 10-15-2002, 10:54 PM   #34
Eila Saarni

Tenchi Nage: A muffled exhale, or muumpfh,when my face getd caught by the elbow...and they flex their elbow...

Yonkyo,Pin : Hey! Quit that! when they sit on my back...

Suwari waza,ikkio,nikkio,sankyo,yonkyo: an Owwww,or AaHhhah, when they kneel on your back land their knee onto your chest or tummy, or the ever fun not paying attention to me tapping out
Old 10-18-2002, 11:43 AM   #35
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
How about Star Wars light sabres.(red or blue)

Vuuuuuuuuuut. choooooooo Vuuuuuuuuut

or

Paff.

Zot.

Pow. (to borrow from Batman)

Every so often I find a partner who is in the same mind-set as me and we are musketeers, star war characters etc. it makes us smile and flow. Gee what a surprise, that's what I was trying to do anyway!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:50 PM   #36
BC
When I realize I'm going to get reversed: "Uh oh..."

Robert Cronin
Old 11-01-2002, 11:16 AM   #37
Xellous
Dojo: Brandbergens Aikido/Haninge
This reminds me about the horror movie we made in school: The (un)silence of the shopping carts. One person were sitting in a shopping cart, and the other one running around with it. It started out with an innocent chicken-race, and ended with Fabian throwing a bike on one of them from an elevated position(school roof). Then we added sound effects...

Shopping cart chrashing into second shopping cart: BAAAANG!

Shopping cart chrashing into garage wall: CHRASH!!!

Friend throwing up while in shopping cart: BLAARG!

Now, what this have to do with Aikido, I know not, but I do know that the results of our movie making was fun...and that's what matters, isn't it?

What is the meaning of life? What is Ki? What is the true meaning of Aikido? The answer: That is a secret.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #38
Eila Saarni

Ah, Shopping cart olyimpics. Its always fun when you hit the curb and fall into bushes, or your jerk of a freind pushes you out into the street. I prefer doing trick ridding on my horse when I drop my cell phone. where My horse will lope past my phone and I'll lean off the side of the saddle
Old 11-08-2002, 04:25 PM   #39
Eila Saarni

Also if you fall off of a horse, most ukemi will work well as long as you can get up quickly