Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2000, 12:37 PM   #1
Nick
United_States
Do symbol

I finally got a picture of my shomen wall up at:

http://members.tripod.com/HitoSClan/shomen2.jpg

any questions, comments, or suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Quick guide:

To O'Sensei's right: A poem about bushido.

To O'Sensei's left: A writing about Shibumi.

the colored belts: my old karate belts.

The medals: came from my karate days.

Wooden box on the left side of the picture: CLeaning kit.

Dragon on the right end of the picture: Ryuujin, my guardian and good luck charm .

And the daisho is pretty self-explanatory.

Kanpai,

-Nick

[Edited by Nick on August 10, 2000 at 12:42pm]
Old 08-10-2000, 01:19 PM   #2
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
The picture of your dog is a nice touch

Gary
Old 08-10-2000, 01:40 PM   #3
Kristina Morris
Dojo: Kannagara Jinja
Wink

Ver nice looking shomen. You might want to move the dog picture and perhaps add a very small flower arrangement somewhere.

Kristina
Old 08-10-2000, 01:51 PM   #4
Nick
United_States
hmm... perhaps an indoor bonsai, as I know little to nothing about flower arranging...

-Nick
Old 08-10-2000, 02:26 PM   #5
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
Maybe a little off topic here, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an url to a place that sells nice stands and O'Sensei pictures. I've checked most of the links from this sight with no luck.
I did, however, decide to order my Makura pillow from Bu-Jin while I was looking, so I guess it was worthwhile. My neck will thank me for sure!

Thanks,
Gary
Old 08-10-2000, 04:18 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
I believe I got mine at Aikidofaq.com and blew it up using Adobe Photoshop.

-Nick
Old 08-11-2000, 08:56 AM   #7
Nick
United_States
any other opinions on how I can improve my shomen wall?

-Nick
Old 08-11-2000, 09:24 AM   #8
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Perhaps changing the colour of the back wall would be an idea. Something not so bland as magnolia (as it appears from my pc at least!!) might make everything stand out more.

Also, I think getting a frame for your picture of O'Sensei to match the wood of your sword stand (sorry, don't know the Japanese word!) would be a nice touch too!!

Overall though it is quite nice!!

Kinda wish I could have had ironware of that nature when I was 14!! You must have understanding parents mate!!

Pete

Old 08-11-2000, 02:43 PM   #9
Nick
United_States
what color might you recommend? It's the same color as the rest of my room-

also- it took me 6 months to talk my parents into letting me buy that sword, and a couple more for the wakizashi... having almost my entire family in budo helps too...

I do need to frame my picture of O-sensei though...

-Nick
Old 08-14-2000, 02:13 AM   #10
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Talking

OK, as your swords and stands are quite dark it would need to be fairly light in order for them to stand out.

Maybe a light/medium blue or a pale purple colour. Pastel type rather than the vivid colours you can get.

Alternatively you could use a combination of blues and whites to make a sky scene. You know, summer blues with whites in to portray the clouds maybe as if the view was from out of a plane window at 35000 feet!! I think that would add a sense of free spirit to the shomen. Or even a distant mountain scene!!! (Depends upon your skills with a brush I guess!! Or that of your parents!!)

Also, if you are going to frame O'sensei, you will need to frame the other paper things as well for balance!!

Just my thoughts, and well.... you did ask!!!

Pete

Old 08-14-2000, 05:33 PM   #11
Nick
United_States
Thanks Pete... those are very good ideas, I'll give them a shot.

Domo,

-Nick
Old 08-14-2000, 06:25 PM   #12
pat
some ideas

Usually in the shomen you would locate the most important things higher and to the left, that is if O sensei is the most important in your shomen he should be on top left, and then work your way down. If you see most shomen from O sensei's Uchi Deshi they are placed this. If you consider your dog as important as your medals it is ok. The main thing is to keep it simple, to me you have too much stuff up there. I only have a picture of O sensei, my weapons and hakama...the rest you can place it on the wall next to the shomen. Keep in mind the concept of shomen, which is the most important place of your room, where you put the thing which is most important to you. I think you have to prioritize. As for color, a neutral color is fine, I wouldn't do a texture. An ivory, or off-white or very light grey...
Also you weapons are not placed correctly, the blade has to go to the other side, try to take your sword in one movement and kill the way they are placed now, you won't. Usually you would take the sword with your right hand, and the cover with the left.

hope I wasn't too harsh...I consider my shomen very important
Pat
Old 08-14-2000, 06:55 PM   #13
Nick
United_States
I thought that the swords were always positioned the way I have them- shows trust in those who visit.

Also, I removed the karate belts yesterday, realizing that they were cluttering the shomen.

Originally, it was O-sensei behind the swords as he is now (I thought that seemed a good area), and my belt ( I had no hakama).

For some reason, facing my swords the other way seems odd- but, if that's the way it is done, I'll do it.

Also, I'll remove most of the stuff up there... it looks like a trophy room instead of a shomen...

-Nick
Old 08-15-2000, 04:21 PM   #14
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Quote:
aikido4life wrote:
Maybe a little off topic here, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an url to a place that sells nice stands and O'Sensei pictures. I've checked most of the links from this sight with no luck.
I did, however, decide to order my Makura pillow from Bu-Jin while I was looking, so I guess it was worthwhile. My neck will thank me for sure!

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,
Assuming it's for personal use, there's an excellent pencil drawing of O Sensei that prints very nicely to A4 size - by Jun I presume (Wonderful work...).
It's in the multimedia section here..

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 08-16-2000, 03:51 PM   #15
Nick
United_States
wow... Jun, that's really good- geez I can't draw anything above a stick figure and a smiley face...

-Nick