Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Sam Turnage

Dojo: Grass Valley Aikiki
United_States
Kids showing other kids - a warning

Not telling anyone anything they don't already know but just a warning and reminder for those of us that have kids in Martial arts or teach kids. A couple weeks ago before a wrestling match I had my 7 year old Sayer working with a 8 or 9 year old in the club that is very good at wrestling (his dad did it as a kid and they have a mat at home, the two brothers train all the time, and he's been at it since he was 5). His dad and I have them paired up because they make good partners and his son can teach Sayer some things because he is learning how to wrestle. I was nearby watching when after awhile of the boy trying to teach Sayer things says, "ok, I can show you things too, try to punch me like this" and demonstrates a Tski to the gut. At the time I didn't think much of it or say anything because I thought that he knew better because I thought that he knew better not to do the full technique to someone that does not know what is coming and how to take the fall (I have told him this and when he wants to show me something he always stops at that point when we are off the mat anyway). Well you know what happened next, to my surprise was a FULL demonstration minus the pin of Kotegeashi (for those of you that don't know young kids aren't taught wrist locks and most pins until they are 15-16 years old for the safety of there joints).
The boy did a flip that looked like something from the movie best of the best 2, got up and said "I think you hurt my wrist". After checking the range of motion palpating and, messaging it for a bit it seemed ok and he wrestled and did well all day with it, but it was a little scary. In fact I think it would have been much worse if he were not a good wrestler and in good shape. Now I know this was all a natural thing for boys this age to do but I thought he knew better and I was wrong, so just a warning to tell them again and again.

"If we are wise, let us perpare for the worst."

George Washington
Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Kids showing other kids - a warning

Onegaishimasu. Thank you for the wonderful warning. When I started teaching children many years ago, a principle at the near top of my teaching principle list was: "keep in mind that anything you teach/show children, they are going to try on their peers" Interestingly enough, that teaching principle is something to keep in mind when teaching adults too!

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: Kids showing other kids - a warning

Wow, that must have been quite a sight!

I stress safety first as well as them not practicing with anyone outside of practice. I also encourage them to talk with parents about when they can use their training and follow up with parents to encourage them to create a dialogue with their children about their training.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru