Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
SplosionMcAwsum
No dojos in middle Georgia, looking for form alternatives

I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga. I find my brain seems to click with many of Aikido's principles and have been desperately wanting to try it out for years. Are there any other forms that share some of the core tenets that I may need to expand my search for? I've just begun dipping my toe into Seidokan Karate, which has some of the same Aiki-Jutsu roots (about 2 weeks of training so far). I've also been training in Kali/Escrima for about 2 years, though rather informally (I'll be driving several hours this summer for my first belt tests), and found it to have many of the same concepts as I understand them to be used in Aikido, though usually the redirection ends in a strike or lock instead of a throw and lock. I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: No dojos in middle Georgia, looking for form alternatives

Check the Dojo Search, but my guess is that you will have to drive to Atlanta...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Austin Davis wrote: View Post
I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga.
I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.
I would personally check out the MMA/BJJ groups and perhaps give them a try if I liked what I saw.
Do some research, etc. and see if you can get feedback.

If you ever move to where there is Aikido then you can see about mixing BJJ/Aikido.
[Check out Roy Deans Art of the Wristlock]

Peace

Dalen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...0Cr9MPRy5dQLbw

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga. I find my brain seems to click with many of Aikido's principles and have been desperately wanting to try it out for years. Are there any other forms that share some of the core tenets that I may need to expand my search for? I've just begun dipping my toe into Seidokan Karate, which has some of the same Aiki-Jutsu roots (about 2 weeks of training so far). I've also been training in Kali/Escrima for about 2 years, though rather informally (I'll be driving several hours this summer for my first belt tests), and found it to have many of the same concepts as I understand them to be used in Aikido, though usually the redirection ends in a strike or lock instead of a throw and lock. I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.
Many of aikido's principles will be found in other arts. Karate and taekwondo is not what I would think of, though. And to me, MMA/BJJ is a different animal entirely.

Regarding kali/escrima I can't judge, but I would go for jujutsu-related arts with as close ties to Japan as possible. "Ninjutsu" can mean som many different things - some of it is good jujutsu though.

Seidokan karate doesn't strike ni as jujutsu related? http://seidokankarate.com/default.aspx There's a jujutsu style also named Seidokan that is, though.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States

Quote:
Hi Austin. We're a little more than an hour away, but if you're ever in Tallahassee, FL feel free to stop by our dojo, North Florida School of Aikido (ASU). We have class Tue & Thu (evening) and Sat.(morning). Good luck in your search.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

http://www.mitakaaikido.org/
This is a Yoshinkan club. Not sure where it is in relationship to middle Georgia.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Scott Harrington
United_States

SKYPE it.

I just heard a bagpiper student doing it (at least you can turn down the sound level from those infernal machines.)

Scott Harrington