Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-30-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
Rink
United_States
Kancho-San?

Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question, and thought this might be the place to ask it.
I hope I do not offend anyone by my obvious ignorance of the Japanese language and culture, but everyone has to start somewhere!
Anyway I was looking for a translation of the words
'Kancho' and the ending title '-san'. I have seen 'Kancho' used in articles when talking about sensei's, is this just a coincidence or is there a reason for this? And I have only heard of '-san' in a joking or humurous manner.
Thanks so much!
Eddie
Old 09-30-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Susan Marie
Re: Kancho-San?

Hi Eddie,

'Kancho' is the title used by the head instructor of the Yoshinkan Honbu Dojo. (Others might use it too, but I'm not sure.) I believe it means 'Director'. As far as putting 'san' at the end I haven't heard this done before in my own experience. Currently Inoue Kancho is head instructor at Yoshinkan Honbu, previously to him it was Shioda Kancho who started the Yoshinkan.

Hope that helps.

Sue.

"Those who are possessed by nothing, possess everything."
O'Sensei
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

This is not to be confused with the ever popular kanchou-san..

Eric
Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

yeah, perish forbid that it should mean: "dojo director my darling..."
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai

~~From my limited understanding, 'kancho' is an honorific for the head of an organization, head instructor. I don't believe adding -san to that sort of title would be appropriate~~

~~Paula~~
Old 09-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Michael Hopkins

Dojo: Westwind Center for Aikido and Traditional Japanese Weaponry
United_States

Kancho simply means director. Some might mean it simply to be the head of something. This is not to be confused with someone that sells something.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Rink
United_States

Thank you everyone for your replies!
It is very much appreciated.

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~From my limited understanding, 'kancho' is an honorific for the head of an organization, head instructor. I don't believe adding -san to that sort of title would be appropriate~~
I apologize for the confusion Paula, I was not meaning
it to look as if I was asking 'kanchosan' I meant as if
they were two different words all together;
'Kancho' and seperately '-San'

Thanks again everyone.
Eddie
Old 10-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai

Kancho (more accurately kanchou) is literally the head or chief ("chou") of the building ("kan"). It is very similar to "dojocho" (doujouchou) in meaning. It only makes sense to use a title like this in organizations whose name has "kan" at the end, such as Yoshinkan, Seidokan, etc. The "feeling" of such names (and the reality in many cases) is that the organization was just a single dojo (building) at one time, although it may have expanded.

As for whether to append "-san" (the usual polite title of address for general use), my feeling is that it sounds reasonable enough, but only for someone outside the organization speaking politely to, or of, the org head. When used as a title attached to the person's name ("Inoue Kanchou") or by someone within the org to address the head, just "kanchou" is the most correct.

HTH

Dave

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States

To answer your other question regarding -san, it is an honorific or more correctly perhaps a polite title of addressing someone like Mr. or Mrs.

So excuse me for using my own last name. You might in meeting or talking about/to me address me as Martinelli-san, were as in English it would be Mr. Martinelli.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
Rink
United_States

Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
To answer your other question regarding -san, it is an honorific or more correctly perhaps a polite title of addressing someone like Mr. or Mrs.

So excuse me for using my own last name. You might in meeting or talking about/to me address me as Martinelli-san, were as in English it would be Mr. Martinelli.
Hope that helps.
Thank you for clearing that second part up!

And thanks again everyone for your help.

Eddie
Old 10-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
David Iannucci wrote:
Kancho (more accurately kanchou) is literally the head or chief ("chou") of the building ("kan"). It is very similar to "dojocho" (doujouchou) in meaning. It only makes sense to use a title like this in organizations whose name has "kan" at the end, such as Yoshinkan, Seidokan, etc. The "feeling" of such names (and the reality in many cases) is that the organization was just a single dojo (building) at one time, although it may have expanded.

As for whether to append "-san" (the usual polite title of address for general use), my feeling is that it sounds reasonable enough, but only for someone outside the organization speaking politely to, or of, the org head. When used as a title attached to the person's name ("Inoue Kanchou") or by someone within the org to address the head, just "kanchou" is the most correct.

HTH

Dave
I completely agree with Dave on this... In offices, one often refers to the Section Head as "Kachou" and the Department Head as "Buchou".

But in places of learning (and in dojos), people often add the suffix "Sensei" (and not "san"), especially if you are a student of that place. So, people refer to "Kouchou" (Head of School) as "Kochou Sensei", "Kanchou" as "Kanchou Sensei" and "Doushu" as "Doushu Sensei"
Old 10-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #12
Adam Huss

United_States

Dojo Cho (head of a dojo)
Kancho (head of an organization)
Soke (founder of a style/organization)
San is an honorific, as mentioned above....similar to Mr. Ms. Mrs. Implying a certain level of repsect for that person.
Sama is used similarly but implies a higher level of respect for the person being addressed.
Chan used as a more affectionate term, for maybe a child or significant other

There is also a term for a regional director. Its a pretty modern term but right now I can't remember it. It may be something like SibuCho but I'm not sure.

Oh, and Doshu is the title for the descendant of Ueshiba Moreihei O'Sensei who is currently head of his Honbu Dojo.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
Adam Huss

United_States

Oh yes, and Kaicho is the chairman of an organization.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!