Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Trolloc63
United_States
Types of jiu-jitsu?

I'm aware that there are different forms of jiu-jitsu out there. Example I can think of off the top of my head include Aikido, Judo, BJJ, and Japanese Jiu-jitsu (aka tai-jitsu).

Are there other common forms of Jiu-jitsu being taught here in the US other than these?

I also had some questions about Tai-Jitsu, I'm assuming this is Japanese JJ? I've looked at a few vids online, it almost looks like karate. Would this be a fair example?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Types of jiu-jitsu?

Quote:
Joe Patach wrote: View Post
I'm aware that there are different forms of jiu-jitsu out there. Example I can think of off the top of my head include Aikido, Judo, BJJ, and Japanese Jiu-jitsu (aka tai-jitsu).

Are there other common forms of Jiu-jitsu being taught here in the US other than these?

I also had some questions about Tai-Jitsu, I'm assuming this is Japanese JJ? I've looked at a few vids online, it almost looks like karate. Would this be a fair example?
Isn't Tai-Jitsu something from Family Guy? Anyway, something to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujuts...ves_and_others

Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

Taijutsu (modern spelling) means "body art(s)" and is merely Aikido's term for techniques without weapons; several other Japanese and Japanese-derived martial arts also use the term. Some other Japanese martial arts might use "jūjutsu" or "yawara" to refer to roughly the same idea.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

If it traces direct linage to some traditional Jujutsu in Japan then it can be called Jujutsu. 99% of the Jujutsu out there today is nothing of the sort. Even most Jujutsu in Japan is not Jujutsu anymore.