Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #151
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Future of Aikido

Jon.

Just wanted to say I like you post quite a bit. I think the issue has long been one of communication. And as such maybe we've wandered quite a ways away from the original "core" of many of these exercises. We are faced with discussions about things we really don't understand for which we really don't have good physical models. People use all sorts of terms and while some may go back 1000's of years, it doesn't necessarily mean they're any good or accurate. They've just survived and have some success in transmission.

I am heartened when I see articles on these issues popping up here and there. There's an article in this month's "men's health" here in the US about the biomechanics of running and how one guy started talking about using spiraling movement to the entire body to activate long length internal connections to add more power. It even had exercises which are remarkably familiar if you are in the mindset of training connections. It also talks about how the fascial connections can improve balance, alignment, and awareness of location in space of the entire body. All good stuff, neh?

What we need is a better model. Better understanding. Then we can better build these bodies, improve our skills, and then hopefully transmit that information to future students.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #152
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Oops, since these posts say around forever, Men's Health, March 2011, Page 112. Article by Paul Scott. "The Revolutionary New Science of Speed".

Also, on-line here:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/run-faster-1

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #153
Janet Rosen

Cool link - I have another earlier article printed out some time ago from same website on fascia issues.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #154
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Jon.

Just wanted to say I like you post quite a bit. I think the issue has long been one of communication. And as such maybe we've wandered quite a ways away from the original "core" of many of these exercises. We are faced with discussions about things we really don't understand for which we really don't have good physical models. People use all sorts of terms and while some may go back 1000's of years, it doesn't necessarily mean they're any good or accurate. They've just survived and have some success in transmission.

I am heartened when I see articles on these issues popping up here and there. There's an article in this month's "men's health" here in the US about the biomechanics of running and how one guy started talking about using spiraling movement to the entire body to activate long length internal connections to add more power. It even had exercises which are remarkably familiar if you are in the mindset of training connections. It also talks about how the fascial connections can improve balance, alignment, and awareness of location in space of the entire body. All good stuff, neh?

What we need is a better model. Better understanding. Then we can better build these bodies, improve our skills, and then hopefully transmit that information to future students.
Thank Keith. My environment puts me close to athletes and people from other arts. I played several sports myself and still continue to be athletic outside of aikido. To me, aikido has a freedom as a modern art that many koyru do not have and it seems a waste to prohibit information gathering outside of aikido. I enjoy the instructors who are also share this perspective and I am pleased their aikido demonstrates the advantages of this mentality. I alos appreicate the innovators who are open enough to hear out how and why we incorporate new methods into our aikido.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #155
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Mark Freeman

"" Am I closer to Ueshiba's aikido? I don't know, I'm certainly one step closer to my own ""

Mark

Believe me, as a student of Sensei Ken Williams you are as near to O Sensei as you can get..

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Sorry I have just been catching up on this thread and others that are similar. Henry - What a wonderful comment. I am also a student of Sensei Williams and it is humbling to see other esteemed Aikido practioners such as yourself hold my teacher in such high regards. It makes you realise how fortunate you are.
I would love to come over and watch one of your classes in Bracknell at some point.

Apologies to all for the thread drift.