Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2002, 01:15 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of May 19, 2002:

What is the longest period of time you've been sidelined from aikido due to an aikido injury?
  • I don't do aikido
  • I've never been injured
  • 0-1 week
  • 1-2 weeks
  • 3-4 weeks
  • 5-6 weeks
  • 7-8 weeks
  • 9-10 weeks
  • 11-12 weeks
  • 13-14 weeks
  • 15-16 weeks
  • 17-18 weeks
  • 19-20 weeks
  • 20+ weeks
Here are the current results.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
I voted 15-16 wks. A broken arm, not sustained during Aikido practice I hasten to add. It's still not fully recovered, but I'm still training, just going easy on that side.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-19-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
I had my knee smashed once...
doing Koshinage breakfall the first thing that hit the mat was my knee... I was off for more than a week. However with wrists and elbows and other minor injuries gotten from training or elsewhere I go to train but just take it easy...

Jorgen
Old 05-19-2002, 03:37 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
Greetings to all,

I was out 3 months doing physical therapy because I had partially torn cartilegde and legiments in one knee, a slightly torn rotator cuff in the shoulder, and four disk bulges in the lumbar region. Wasn't from Aikido. It was just from the mileage.

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #5
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
I was out for 2 1/2 months due to a hyperextended elbow from a hijikime, I don't think I'll ever forget hearing my elbow clicking 4 times

Regards,
Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 05-20-2002, 06:23 AM   #6
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
I voted 9-10 weeks (and counting )

was uke for a second dan grading and fell wrong out of sumi otoshi from hamni handachi waza (2nd throw of the grading)

seperated the AC joint (shoulder) broke my collar bone and my first two ribs and ripped the tendons that hold it all neatly in place front and back

finished the grading of course
although attacking someone with a Jo when your left shoulder is busted up is quite difficult

Old 05-20-2002, 06:30 AM   #7
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
six months and counting with a torn set of priorities. have to finish my thesis before I tape that one back together.

andrew
Old 05-20-2002, 09:36 AM   #8
Creature_of_the_id

England
ouch... a thesis can really hurt

good luck with it by the way

Old 05-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #9
Amendes
Freaky! How can you people stand it??

How can you stand it?

If I was sidelined I would go crazy.
Then again this is from the guy who decided that even with bronchatis he had to go to class.

Man you never tried to do 31 Jo Kata until you tried it with bronchatis.

That was the day I refussed to work with anyone else because I dident want them to have broncahtis too.

Heck thosse whole three weeks that I had it were interesting. I came on friday almost not able to walk on my own two feet, then i stayed in bed after class until monday afternoon when I got up and went again. :-)

I'm already going nuts for missing todays class becasue of this Victoria Day. Oh I need help, my addiction is too strong.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:19 AM   #10
Creature_of_the_id

England
I cant stand it ... thats the thing
I am walking around like a bear with a sore head.
I go along to my class and supervise and do one handed aikido (its great fun actually).
but its just hell

going from 5 or 6 times a week to 0 is so strange, I dont know what to do with my time other than mope around the house... alone... because all my friends are at aikido

(everybody say aaaaaahhhhh!)

hehehe

Old 05-23-2002, 04:29 AM   #11
Mr. P

Dojo: BMS Aïkido
I'm feeling lucky as I'm reading you .
My longest (tough it was the only time) period was around three weeks .
I'm lucky because it happenned at the beginning of my training, so I wasn't Aïkido-addict yet !

I entered my class during a year. Everybody thought I was from another club . So, when I saw them forward fall, I heard a sempaï of mine telling another rookie : "just roll, and don't ever think !".
I fell and heard a sound like "Clac !" at my right shoulder. I didn't say anything at the moment, because I was too proud to show my pain. Then, another forward falls session came. And, since I thought I was clever , I fell on the other shoulder. "Clac !" was my only reward for my "bravery". Then, it was time to practice Iriminage. When I noticed I couldn't even higher my arms , I finished the session sitting out of the mat .
It took so long because, when you're hurt at ONE arm, you can use the other one. But, when you can't barely wash yourself, you begin to understand what anger is !

Since that funny but painful event, no more injury (thanks God and my sempaïs' carefulness )...

Mr. P

Never pay attention to someone using smileys...
Old 05-23-2002, 06:02 AM   #12
Fminor

To tell you the truth - when I joined Aikido lessons, I was very spectacle about my ability to continue practicing it.
I was sure one of my joints will "vote against it" after watching all the locks and throws...

The first month of practicing - I called myself "a person made out of joints"... (cause every time I rolled, I felt each and every one of them)...
That's way I wasn't surprised when I've started getting pains on my left shoulder.
After a visit to my doctor - I found myself retiring from Aikido with an inflammation in the shoulder strip.

Luckily, I didn't give up and instead done 3 things :
1. let my shoulder rest for 3 weeks.
2. took antibiotics.
3. went to an acupuncture and shiatsu treatment.
What can I tell you - it did the trick and my persistent finally paid off.

I'm preparing for my 5th kyu exam now, still not the best aikidoka in the dojo, but I'm working on it

Last edited by Fminor : 07-16-2002 at 09:36 AM.