Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
A new review has been posted in the AikiWeb Book database:
============================
Book Title: Total Aikido: The Master Course
Book Author: Shioda, Gozo

Review author: Desmond Smith
Rating given: 5 (out of 5)

Review:
I have bought one of this books and i must say that it is awesome the way Shioda Sensei explains his philosophy of Aikido. Ever since i saw Aikido i fell in love with the sport and i am currently training with a few others. This Martial Art is so unique and i hope to be the best and get to the highest dan as possible. Also if there is anyone out there who has more information on this Aikido stuff like C.d's, or Books or anything of any sort, can you please e-mail me at the above address.In my country this art is unheard of so i would like any information on this to be submitted via e-mails.C.d's on Techniques, and other stuff would be handy. I would like to request tapes, C.d's or books written by Gozo Shioda, the founder of Aikido or by Steven Seagal if possible.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Desmond,

Good choice on books. It is, IMHO, one of the best books out there on Yoshinkai aikido. Very well written book. Of course, being a Yoshinkai practioner, I may be a little bias.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 08-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Paul Kerr

I'd say it's one of the best technical manuals available regardless of what style one chooses to train in.

That, plus the recent series of the late Saito sensei's are superb technical references.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #4
Paul Laxon
Dojo: Aikido London
Have a look at this web page: http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page48.html and specifically "dSPD-8100 Yoshinkan Aikido Gijutsu Zenshu Box Set". It shows all the basic techniques from standing and sitting, plus some advanced techniques and jiyu waza. Getting the 3 dvd set is most cost efficient.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
formerjarhead
Dojo: Okinawa Yoshinkan
Desmond

That DVD set is really great. You can set the language to English and it goes through all the moves step by step. I wish I had found that site to buy it sooner though. I spent an extra $12.00 from another site.

If you are interested in different techniques and styles try getting the Aiki Expo ( Friendship ) Videos. They are great for veiwing different styles.

Question Eric, When did Yoshinkan become Yoshinkai ??

Nikajo is the Human Vertical Adjuster
Old 08-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #6
Eric Joyce
United_States
Desmond,

The correct way is Yoshinkai. I tend to use Yoshinkai/Yoshinkan both. I have had some teachers and fellow students call it that in the states, but to be correct...it's Yoshinkai.

Eric Joyce
Old 08-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Terada Sensei's group is call Aikido YoshinKAN Seiseikai. The main website says Inernational YoshinKAN Aikido Federation. Ando Sensei is YoshinKAN Aikido Ryu. Takeno Sensei is Aikido Yamanashi YoshinKAN.

There are many that use KAI as well. Gilbert James Sensei used Yoshinkai, so I expect most of his students do.

Bottom line is, there is no RIGHT way. I asked Yoshinkan honbu about it and they said either way. At one time, our bylaws read Yoshinkai ... now they read Yoshinkan.

As discussed many times before, it is used interchangeably.

Oh ... and lets not forget Okinawa Yoshinkan.

Talk about high-jacking a thread ... bad Steven ... bad! :P
Old 08-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
Eric Joyce
United_States
Thanks Steven

Eric Joyce
Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Steven

United_States
No ProblemO boss man! When I first named my school, I lost count on how many folks questioned it. So I asked honbu and Parker Sensei and they said either is fine.

Too funny!

As for Total Aikido .... most all my students have it. I also have the bilingual book that Inoue Kancho put out. My Japanese students mom loves it because it is written in Japanese. It helps her understand better.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #10
formerjarhead
Dojo: Okinawa Yoshinkan
Steve

What book did Inuoe Kancho put out?? Where is it available? I would be very much interested to find that. I have a book that Kai Sensei put together from Shioda Gozo's old book but it's all in Japanese.

Thank you for clearing up the Name Game. I have heard it both ways and wasn't sure if it's Yoshinkai in the states or everywhere, But now I know.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #11
Steven

United_States
Quote:
Robert Fulton (formerjarhead) wrote:
Steve

What book did Inuoe Kancho put out?? Where is it available? I would be very much interested to find that. I have a book that Kai Sensei put together from Shioda Gozo's old book but it's all in Japanese.

Thank you for clearing up the Name Game. I have heard it both ways and wasn't sure if it's Yoshinkai in the states or everywhere, But now I know.
http://65.119.177.242/catalog/produc...hp?code=yosh01

The Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo in collaboration with Aiki News has just published an updated edition of its official training manual in bilingual format.

This new training aid compiled under the supervision of Kyoichi Inoue Dojo-Cho serves as an invaluable reference for beginners and instructors alike. The following groups of techniques are covered in great detail in Volume 1:

basic stances and postures, kihondosa, kihonwaza, ikkajo osae, nikajo osae, sankajo osae, yonkajo osae

This manual also includes a section of advanced techniques performed by Gozo Shioda, founder of Yoshinkan Aikido.