Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
063) Active Listening: Week of December 5, 2009

We finished a class last week with having students make a circle and the student in the middle was attacked with the attack that we practiced.  This student had to execute any technique (either ones we did in class, or anything else for that matter).  The next night, one of the students talked about how hard it was to think of what technique to do.  I reiterated to  him one of my maxims that I use in class ” The uke chooses the technique.”
We can feel good about ourselves for having learned a large repertoire of techniques and feel really sure about our ability to execute a certain number of techniques only to find that they do not work because we seek to execute a technique on the uke, regardless of the nature of the attack.  I can not emphasize strongly enough that in my own opinion, Aikido techniques work as a direct result of our ability to be in harmony with the attacker.  This requires us to be active listeners to our ukes.  If we have preselected a technique, we are only listening to the idea in our own heads.  It is most unfortunate for us when the uke has other ideas.     Connecting with the energy of the attacker, with the direction of the incoming force, with the intensity of the attacking appendage, etc…  allows us to move in a manner that makes the technique self-evident.  If we are fearful, angry, tense, anxious, …. it becomes very difficult for us to listen through this proverbial “white noise” in order to “hear” clearly what the attacker is telling us to do.
Towards the end of last week, I had students close their eyes in the middle of the circle and simply move with the nature of an attack (grabs).  Students were forced to have to listen at a tactile level.  It became obvious to them that how to move becomes evident when the attack is beginning.  Students are them amazed how much harder it is to do exactly the same thing, but this time with their eyes open.  Active listening can be “deafened” by our responses to the visual stimuli that we receive during an attack.  The student then sees that active listening requires that the visual sensory input has to be balanced by other, equally vital sensory inputs.   Balancing all of this sensory data, while remaining centered is not an easy task.  Even the word “balancing” conveys that this entire process is related to “shisei.”
It is funny that when we begin to explore more “advanced” areas (such as execution of techniques in more dynamic environments) we always end up going back to the “basics.”  If we do not create a good foundation, the higher level aspects such as active listening seem to allude us.  This is a fitting topic, since we are approaching the end of 2009.
Marc Abrams Sensei

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: 063) Active Listening: Week of December 5, 2009

Very Nice. Our senses do get in our way alot. Funny this is what I was realizing yesterday in class. In the beginner's workshop on Saturday I noticed that a couple of new students were restricting their movements of techniques in a very constricted way, essentially within the space in front of me. I would then demonstrate and one of them said "I don't have enough room as you do".

I worked through the problem for a few minutes and realized that I viewed "my space" as also including the area where uke was standing and that the fact that uke was physically present their as a non issue...it was my space to operate in and uke would move with kuzushi.

They viewed uke as something to work around...as an obstacle.

Once it was explained, it seemed to open up more space to them.

Sometimes our mind and eyes create or percieve obstacles that are not really there at all!