Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #26
danielab1924
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley, Concord, CA
United_States
Re: YouTube: Aikido Demo Video

isn't the word japanese? I just spelled it how it sounded.....oh well, who cares you guys knew what I meant...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #27
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Daniela Barkasy wrote: View Post
isn't the word japanese? I just spelled it how it sounded.....oh well, who cares you guys knew what I meant...
You should care. You're presenting yourself, your dojo, and aikido. When you don't care to make sure things are presentable, it reflects badly on you, your dojo, and aikido.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #28
SmilingNage
United_States

1 Watch the happy feet. I saw a lot of extra steps as well un grounded finishes with some of the throws.

2 Regardless of where you are, remember to remain centered, otherwise you will never effect Uke's balance.

3 Wear a Gi that fits so you don't look like a muppet flailing around.

But good job to do that in front of your peers

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #29
kitana ukira
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley
United_States

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post
No one is criticizing you for being American. We're pointing out that you misspelled a word (and fairly badly). How are those two things related?
she thinks she is being criticized for not being japanese. =_=;;
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
kitana ukira
United_States

Quote:
William Oakes wrote: View Post
1 Watch the happy feet. I saw a lot of extra steps as well un grounded finishes with some of the throws.

2 Regardless of where you are, remember to remain centered, otherwise you will never effect Uke's balance.

which one of us looked like a muppet?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #31
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
You should care. You're presenting yourself, your dojo, and aikido. When you don't care to make sure things are presentable, it reflects badly on you, your dojo, and aikido.
oh cry me a river. not everyone can spell the terminology in a precise manner. Deal with it or go find someone else to whine to. If you feel I'm shaming myself, my dojo, and aikido then you're reading into it far too much and are in serious need of a hobby.

-Daniela
Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #32
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:

balance and posture seems to be our main problem, and im with val on the same question: who looked like a muppet? lol. thanks for taking the time to view our demo!

-Daniela
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #33
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
oh cry me a river. not everyone can spell the terminology in a precise manner. Deal with it or go find someone else to whine to. If you feel I'm shaming myself, my dojo, and aikido then you're reading into it far too much and are in serious need of a hobby.
Daniela,

You probably don't remember me, but we've trained before and may again this summer.

Josh isn't whining, he's telling you something really important and it's worth paying attention. You do represent yourself, your dojo, and aikido when you demonstrate publicly or even post here for that matter.

He didn't say that you've shamed your dojo, merely that your behavior will reflect on those things and part of good budo practice to not only be aware of that, but to care about it, make appropriate decisions, and to learn and improve from any feedback.

Good effort on your demonstration. Your enthusiasm for aikido shows.

Ganbatte!

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #34
danielab1924
United_States

oh i think i remember training with you! at the chuck clark seminar back in november? as a matter of fact, ur profile picture is at my dojo! nice job throwing bruce!

I do care but not THAT much. Geez, I just miss spelled a word. it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it! I hope to train with you soon! :-)

-Daniela
Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #35
Josh Reyer

Japan

Daniela, here's the problem. You didn't misspell a word. Heck we all do that once in a while. The problem is that you didn't even make the effort to find out how it was properly spelled. You just spelled it any old way, and you freely admit that you just don't care. Well, that makes you look pretty bad. In fact, if that's the level of your effort, if that's your attitude towards the cultural aspects of the art, I feel pretty confident in saying you won't be doing aikido by the time you're twenty. By all means, prove me wrong, but understand that doing so will require a major attitude adjustment.

"Who cares?" is not a viable attitude in budo. It is the antithesis of budo.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #36
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Reminds me of this story by a practitioner of Iaido:

Quote:
From The Beginning: The Importance Of Reishiki In Iaido wrote:
A story: Three American senior martial arts students went to Japan in the company of their Japanese teacher. They stayed for several weeks, went sightseeing, and generally had a wonderful time. There was only one disappointment: they didn't visit any Japanese dojo.

After their initial distress, they decided among themselves that the teachers they might have visited were probably busy or out of town. Some time later, I had an opportunity to ask their teacher why the group did not meet any other teachers while in Japan.

The teacher mentioned one member of the group by name and said, "His manners are terrible. That's why I didn't take them." He didn't mention the group's skill level (which was pretty high, I thought). Skill didn't matter. Without proper manners, one member of the group could disgrace him and his U.S. dojo. He decided not to take the risk.
Obviously I don't think that Daniela went this far as to disgrace her sensei, but it seems like that slippery slope when you "just don't care". Trust me, I know about spelling words wrong .... I am a PhD student, and probably one of the worst spellers you will ever meet, and that's just in English. But I agree with the others, effort must at least be made. And even if with said effort you still come off with a word horribly spelled, you don't blow it off, you say thank you for the correction, and you learn for next time. This is where I think you fell a little short.

Practice well.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #37
SmilingNage
United_States

The smaller girl, the sleeves of your Gi looked way to long

Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #38
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Hey Aiki Web bloggers!
A friend and I put together an aikido demo for our school and I've put it on youtube. The techniques are a tad sloppy but oh well, I tried. So feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!

Later,
Daniela

P.S. for all those that read my previous hakama forum, I now wear a hakama and am wearing one in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLqCNR8Dn4
I'm chiming in late here, but I just wanted to express that I'm always impressed when people can get up in front of a crowd and perform. Being in the spotlight like that can be pretty tough all on its own, let alone when trying to act with precision and intensity.
That said, there's plenty of room for improvement, but isn't there always? My take on 5th kyu is that it's naturally a time of getting lots of advice because clearly you're familiar with many of the basic forms, but there are also a lot of loose ends to be tied up...or at least, that's the way it appears to this long-standing 5th kyu.
I'd also like to add my two bits to the idea that "oh well" is a slippery slope. It's always easy to find excuses, and I'm not trying to say you're just giving excuses because for all I know sitting here at my keyboard, you've thought very seriously about how to improve your peformance already. But having at times gone from a very serious personality to a very not-serious one, I can see why so many folks would caution you in that regard. You looked like you were having fun in that demo, and that's good, but there's a whole school of thought that says demos should generally look intense and cause one to hold their breath. It's something of a conundrum in parts of the Aikido world where we're encouraged to smile and laugh and be serious at the same time. I guess there's an appropriate time for either and it appears some folks here think you might be approaching an appropriate time for a higher degree of seriousness. That's a compliment as I see it.
Take care and keep up the good work!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #39
danielab1924
United_States

thanks for the possitive imput matt! its never too late for that! :-)

I think what it is, is that it's not like I don't care when it comes to being precise with any aspect whether it be my training or my spelling and that I am interested in getting feedback. I've really enjoyed reading most of the feedback I've gotten and I plan to use it towards the future. Writting it's not that big of a deal about miss spelling something is my way of saying oh well, now I know for next time and move on. I do care about improving in every way of aikido and I'm not being lazy or careless.

hehehe val looked like a muppet! I'm going to tease her for a while for that, I think I'll give her the title of kermit. lol

-Daniela

falling up an escalator takes TRUE clumsy talent
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
kitana ukira
United_States

Quote:
The smaller girl, the sleeves of your Gi looked way to long
I can't afford a new gi, and my old gi used to be my mom's. (5 years ago) I somewhat grew into it, but the sleeves have always been a little longer than everyone liked. The sleeves always felt fine to me, just everyone thought it was harder to grab my wrist.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #41
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines
Thumbs up Re: Aikido Demo Video

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
TThe shorter girl looked like rouronin kenshin by the way. Cool!
wow, you're right - she really does look like kenshin himura, but with black hair instead of red! GO BATTOSAI!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #42
SmilingNage
United_States

Then have the sleeves tailored down to your size or hem it up to your elbows or fold the sleeves. Its very easy to have someone's fingers get caught up in the sleeves, which is zero fun.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #43
danielab1924
United_States

Val's just destined to look like a muppet, lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #44
SmilingNage
United_States

Ohh that's just mean. Now I feel sorta bad about saying that

Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #45
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines
Re: Aikido Demo Video

Quote:
Rafael Ayala wrote: View Post
wow, you're right - she really does look like kenshin himura, but with black hair instead of red! GO BATTOSAI!
You mean like this?

FYI, the seiyuu (voice actor) for Kenshin in the original Japanese anime was a woman (Mayo Suzukaze)... even if the character is male.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 04-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #46
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:
Ohh that's just mean. Now I feel sorta bad about saying that
nah, it's cool. We think it's funny actually and we make fun of each other as a joke. :-)

hehe muppet... :-)

as for the anime character, that looks nothing like val...... Val do I have your permission to put a picture up of you to compare?

-Daniela

Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #47
wideawakedreamer

Philippines

Well you were both too far away for me to see your faces so I couldn't tell if Val had a cross-shaped scar on her left cheek.

But her size plus the way she tied her hair reminds me of the Battosai.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #48
wideawakedreamer

Philippines
Re: Aikido Demo Video

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
You mean like this?

FYI, the seiyuu (voice actor) for Kenshin in the original Japanese anime was a woman (Mayo Suzukaze)... even if the character is male.
Yeah, I was really surprised the first time I heard Kenshin's Japanese speaking voice. I first saw Rurouni Kenshin dubbed in English, and the guy who did Kenshin was, well, a guy. And for some reason, the show was called Samurai X instead of Rurouni Kenshin.

Btw, I can't see the picture.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #49
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Here's another pic of Kenshin:

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #50
danielab1924
United_States

uhh...maybe a LITTLE like val.....I might post a photo up tomorrow for comparison....