Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Tinyboy344

United_States
Smile Oh $#!t moments...

I just wanna know if anyone has any of those. Mine are: when I flip a breakfall and my head would come | | that close to the mat or sensei would change the technique at the last minute on me.... OH $#!T!!!!!!!.....
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Oh $#!t moments...

When I'm about to be thrown and my foot gets caught in my hakama!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

ehehehe 2 days ago a friend of mine was smack on his head pretty damn hard when he didn't prepare his body for an ukemi!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Surprise ukemi is a surprise every time.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

I have one of those moments every time I have to try to do a technique on sensei.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Have you been watching me train again?
Those are my normal moments.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Straight Face Re: Oh $#!t moments...

I remember a friend who landed on the back of his neck. He's paralyzed now from the neck down.

I guess every now and then you get these freak Oh $#!t moments. In a way this is what I do not like about Aikido you get seriously hurt in an instant and you can't do anything about it when it happens.

I mean you can at least block strikes from the other arts and you can tap in bjj but when your tori (in Aikido) decides change directions while your on the air you can pay dearly for it and all he'd be able to do is say "I'm sorry".

One-Aiki,

Iking
Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Enrique Antonio Reyes wrote: View Post
I remember a friend who landed on the back of his neck. He's paralyzed now from the neck down.

I guess every now and then you get these freak Oh $#!t moments. In a way this is what I do not like about Aikido you get seriously hurt in an instant and you can't do anything about it when it happens.

I mean you can at least block strikes from the other arts and you can tap in bjj but when your tori (in Aikido) decides change directions while your on the air you can pay dearly for it and all he'd be able to do is say "I'm sorry".

One-Aiki,

Iking
Sorry to hear about your friend. Bad things happen to good people.

Nage has a respnsibility to not hurt their partner. To develop themselves well enough to know what they are prone to do and to understand their power. To simply say 'I'm sorry' is not enough. It is appropriate to reflect for long enough that they realize their mistake and then grow in responsibility and skill.

Ukemi is a method for learning to listen. The keener we get with our attention skills, which is built in each and every class, the better listener we will become. Just as you can anticipate what someone may say in words you can anticipate what someone will say in their body. One woud not want to assume, or jump to conclusions, what someone will say next. You can only stay in presence and respond when there is an opening. Maintain the most connection all of the way through. That is a clean way to have a conversation.

I'm no sranger to injury in ukemi. As a shodan, a hefty blue belt stepped on my hakama and then threw me in a koshi nage (pile-driver style) right on my head. I rotated my head into my center, like a snail, and managed to break only my collarbone. So, I was tuned in, but had misread the maturity of my partner at the time. He couldn't hear himself to know that his ego was intending to $#(+ -can me. I, in false faith, didn't anticipate it would happen. My mistake. If I had taken a pause before that last grab to check in with him....well, no regrets, only lessons.

The other collarbone, that's a story for another day .

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 08-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
BritishAikido@ntlworld.
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

In 50 years of Aikido I have had many s##t moments, number one and two has to be when I was asked to do the Aikido demonstration at the 1964 British Judo Council championships in London. I was asked by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei to make the Aikido ` special ` for the attention of one of many VIP guests Lady Baden Powell, who was the head of the worldwide ` Girl Guides ` organisation.
Whilst waiting for the call to go on the stage, I saw a Judoka being what I considered rude to M Otani Sensei who was talking with the then Japanese Ambassador, the Judoka and I had a serious confrontation. When I was called onto the stage I was still unhappy and my demonstration with my ukie Derek Eastman Sensei got a little heated, as he attacked with a live blade it went through my gi and grazed my stomach, I actually said " Oh s##t" as I dropped to my knees to take immobilisation directly in front of her Ladyship.
Lady Baden Powell looked as if she was about to pass out. Later her Ladyship said " That was the most gratuitous abuse of violence I have ever seen " ( another "Oh s##t moment ) The Japanese Ambassador came up to me with Abbe Sensei and said " That is the best Aikido demonstration I have ever seen, thank you ! " I expected a roasting from Abbe Sensei but the Ambassadors comments seemed to appease him.

Henry Ellis
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
In 50 years of Aikido I have had many s##t moments, number one and two has to be when I was asked to do the Aikido demonstration at the 1964 British Judo Council championships in London. I was asked by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei to make the Aikido ` special ` for the attention of one of many VIP guests Lady Baden Powell, who was the head of the worldwide ` Girl Guides ` organisation.
Whilst waiting for the call to go on the stage, I saw a Judoka being what I considered rude to M Otani Sensei who was talking with the then Japanese Ambassador, the Judoka and I had a serious confrontation. When I was called onto the stage I was still unhappy and my demonstration with my ukie Derek Eastman Sensei got a little heated, as he attacked with a live blade it went through my gi and grazed my stomach, I actually said " Oh s##t" as I dropped to my knees to take immobilisation directly in front of her Ladyship.
Lady Baden Powell looked as if she was about to pass out. Later her Ladyship said " That was the most gratuitous abuse of violence I have ever seen " ( another "Oh s##t moment ) The Japanese Ambassador came up to me with Abbe Sensei and said " That is the best Aikido demonstration I have ever seen, thank you ! " I expected a roasting from Abbe Sensei but the Ambassadors comments seemed to appease him.

Henry Ellis
You win some. You lose some. It all comes out in the wash.

I enjoyed the story (that would be a 'win' or a 'lose 'depending on who you ask.).

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Quote:
Henry Ellis; wrote:
Later her Ladyship said " That was the most gratuitous abuse of violence I have ever seen "
Quite right! Violence is something to be nurtured and encouraged, wouldn't want to be seen abusing it.

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
Walter Martindale
Canada

1. (ok, a few times) Kawahara shihan says "punch me" (oh sh##t what happened?)
2. Demonstration in Osaka - feel myself heading for the space past the end of the stage in mid air - last moment nage realizes same thing and pulls me back onto mats...
3. Take a punch at Kawahara shihan (in 1, above) (Oh SH###T)
4. Land on ground from 3. above..
8-)
Walter
Those are the ones I think I remember...
W
Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Every time my sensei calls me in front of the class to demo the next technique without calling it out...I come to attack (either grab or strike) and there's nothing, no resistance, no collision. At this point my mind is already agitated not knowing whats next... OH SH!#. I'm on the ground with a silly grin thinking what the heck was that!

Plus Ki
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
aikitraveller
China

When I have to use the bathroom 5 mins after I put on the hakama and everything.... Oooooh $#!T........
Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
Alfonso

at fourth kyu figuring out I could do an extra quarter turn as uke at the end of iriminage to avoid the backfall by turning into a roll , going for it, and nage clamping down on my head when I was at the apex of the wheel inverted and traveling fast. it was like time slowed down and the writing appeared in front of me.. Oh S!@#!@#

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
DonMagee
United_States

I kicked a guy square in the balls yesterday while trying to footsweep him from the knees. I went for it and just kicked him right in the nuts. It was a 'oh crap i'm so sorry!' moment.

Then I told him "Next time, you know not to try that open guard crap with me!" and threatened to gouge his eyes out.

PS - that last part didn't happen.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Suru
United_States

This "oh sh--" moment pales in comparison with quadraplegia, but -

After seeing a cutie in a workout gym many times and engaging in small talk, I finally got the courage to ask her out for a smoothie. She seemed excited about the prospect. At the smoothie place, things were going well. Then we started dicussing Aikido, and I wanted to demonstrate the sort of things we do. She offered her wrist per my request, and I applied kotegaeshi. I thought I was doing it just enough for her to mildly feel the consequences when she screamed, "Ow! Why did you do that!?" We never went out again and it was just weird between us in the gym from that point onward. Nightmare.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #18
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Another oh S#*t moment for me, was when I was in New England and Chiba Sensei was showing a white belt how to properly do nikyo to a stiff arm grab. He gestured to me to grab his lapel, which I did so with a very strong stiff arm. As he was telling the white belt not to muscle my arm, he was brushing his hand very lightly down my arm from the forearm to the wrist. As he told him to be 'soft', he applied nikyo and my mind was saying oh s#*t as I went down to the mat. But the oh s#*t moment lasted much longer as Chiba Sensei kept the nikyo on as he was talking to those around us! I thought that my wrist was going to be broken! The oh s#*t moment continued as he went on to do the finishing pin. He was telling me to relax, but he had me pinned to tight to the mat that it felt like my arm would not making it to the other side of his body and my upper torso seemed like it was being drilled though the mat. But 5 Advils later, I was doing much better.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #19
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

One Oh $#!t moment I saw recently was when my 4th Dan Sensei asked one of the white belts to attack him from the back with a choke (without holding back)...

Turned out this whitey is a bjj practitioner/grappler and he almost choked out Sensei in front of the class...

and I though Oh $#!t doing my best to hide a smile

One-Aiki,

Iking
Old 08-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #20
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines
Talking Re: Oh $#!t moments...

I remember when I used to do Ukemi for my first Sensei. He had this really bad case of skin allergies (eczema I think). Anyway, he usually gets some scales on his skin and these "scales" would fall onto the mat.

So whenever I do Ukemi I always do my best to avoid the scales on my way down but as I get pinned from a pivoting Ikkyo I sometimes find myself "face-to-face" with the eczematous scales...and I always say Oh $c#les!

One-Aiki,

Iking
Old 08-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #21
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Duy Trinh wrote: View Post
I just wanna know if anyone has any of those. Mine are: when I flip a breakfall and my head would come | | that close to the mat or sensei would change the technique at the last minute on me.... OH $#!T!!!!!!!.....
Yep. Triggers immediate full on resistance. Does no good.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
eric_lecaptain

United_States

Quote:
I remember when I used to do Ukemi for my first Sensei. He had this really bad case of skin allergies (eczema I think). Anyway, he usually gets some scales on his skin and these "scales" would fall onto the mat.

So whenever I do Ukemi I always do my best to avoid the scales on my way down but as I get pinned from a pivoting Ikkyo I sometimes find myself "face-to-face" with the eczematous scales...and I always say Oh $c#les!

One-Aiki,

Iking
One time during ikkyo I inhaled a small hair that was on the mat.

Now I hate putting my face on the mat, and if I have no choice, I try to clean the mat by "blowing" where I will land.

UGH! I bet that one eastern european girl dropped it there. ha-ha
(just kidding)
Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #23
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

Rofl!!!

A good stance and posture reflects a proper state of mind
Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
James Edwards
United Kingdom

Quote:
Turned out this whitey is a bjj practitioner/grappler and he almost choked out Sensei in front of the class...

and I though Oh $#!t doing my best to hide a smile

Iking
That must've been pretty embarrassing for him

Usually an oh $#!t moment for me comes in the form of a fist or a tanto coming to my face or seeing someone bleeding all over the mat. I don't really know what has been happening to our dojo recently

One time during a seminar though I threw a 5th dan teacher into another uke He got a bad knock on his head from the guy's heel but he was being quite nice about it.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
Tinyboy344

United_States

Dang! You guys have some funny scenarios out there... Respect! Respect!!! LOL