Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
danielab1924
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley, Concord, CA
United_States
Smile YouTube: Aikido Demo Video

Hey Aiki Web bloggers!
A friend and I put together an aikido demo for our school and I've put it on youtube. The techniques are a tad sloppy but oh well, I tried. So feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!

Later,
Daniela

P.S. for all those that read my previous hakama forum, I now wear a hakama and am wearing one in the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLqCNR8Dn4
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Aikido Demo Video

Firstly congrats for performing in front of all those kids and holding their attention for so long. That takes guts.

The aikiken was sloppy though. How long have you been doing weapons? It may be wood, but you should really hold it as if you're using live blades.

The jo was cool but again don't forget symmetry in your angles.

Throughout the demo, the taller girl kept slouching. Although the opponent is shorter, don't slouch. Instead just use your eyes. Slouching means you move less from your center.

Can't comment too much more without sounding preachy but overall you guys did a fun demo what with the music and flow. Though it did get a bit jumbled up with your jiyuwaza at the end. I would have preferred a more focused attack by one person and concluded with that person subduing the attacker rather than that ping-pong esque style you employed.

The shorter girl looked like rouronin kenshin by the way. Cool!

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Great demo...looks like you were really prepared. I love the response from the audience. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Mary
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
danielab1924
United_States

ahmad- thanks for the feedback! I never noticed I was slouching, lol, one thing everyone in the dojo gets after me for! I think the aikido wouldn't have been so sloppy if we weren't so tired and nervous. Some of it was a little staged and exaggerated, however, so it could appeal to the crowd a little better.

Mary-thanks for watching!

-Daniela
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Maarten De Queecker
Dojo: Aikikai Gent, Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium

When doing a demo to recrute members for your dojo, technique isn't important. Putting on a show and doing some spectacular moves is. People might of course be pretty disillusioned when they actually go train, but a boring performance doesn't attract any new members either.

Cool performance!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Takes guts to get up in front of all those kids and put on a show demonstrating our art.
Congratulations, they seemed enthralled and I could hear lots of cheers in the background. Good job! They loved it.
Thanks for sharing and being such good representatives of Aikido!
Doc Sexton

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
When doing a demo to recrute members for your dojo, technique isn't important. Putting on a show and doing some spectacular moves is. People might of course be pretty disillusioned when they actually go train, but a boring performance doesn't attract any new members either.
I disagree completely. If you change what you do to make it more appealing, you're going to interest people who want to do what you demoed, not what you actually do. Sure, you might get more people to come see what you do, but aren't they then less likely to stay when they see what you actually do? Just demonstrate what you normally do, and let the people who want to do that--the ones who would've stayed anyway--find you.

Kentokuseisei
Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
MentalError
Re: YouTube: Aikido Demo Video

Thanks =) Great Demo, I learned something from it too.

Ps. Loved the gundam music
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
danielab1924
United_States

I think what he means kent is that you don't want to get up there and be all slow and meditative but, instead get up there and do something interesting that will catch people's eye. Do it right, of course, but with a little extra power to bring the appeal.... :-)

Aaron- Thanks for watching! Gundam music? What's that?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
kitana ukira
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley
United_States

Hi, I'm actually the second member of that demo (the shorter girl). I actually would like some more feedback on the demo (if you dont mind ^_^)

I've been out of Aikido due to SATs, the flu/bronchitis, and i messed up my knee right before the performance. That was all the Aikido I was getting for the past 2 months, so I kind of would like to get a second opinion on how I did. I would appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thank you! -Valerie Doan
Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
kitana ukira
United_States

Quote:
Daniela Barkasy wrote: View Post
I think what he means kent is that you don't want to get up there and be all slow and meditative but, instead get up there and do something interesting that will catch people's eye. Do it right, of course, but with a little extra power to bring the appeal.... :-)

Aaron- Thanks for watching! Gundam music? What's that?
the Gundam music was the TM Revolution songs Daniela. T.M. did a lot of songs for the Gundam animes.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Alfonso

Well since you ask Val; I hand't seen the demo before. First of all congratulations for putting it together, working it out and following through. I'd say its even gutsier to post it here than to perform in front of the school, and to allow ratings on the youtube video ..

Well, I got a bit confused by some of the weapons stuff, you're going to have to show me in person some of that fancy jo. The kumitachi.. (modified for demo, I realize) needs lot of work, dont worry you have plenty of time.

Val you don't slouch as much, but sometimes.. you get this intense focus on the floor .. both you and Daniela need to stand up staight and address each other

I liked what I saw of zanshin, It was a pretty long demo ..

as for the flashy stuff its not exactly my cup of tea, but i think it actually suits you

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

On demos...

We do one a year. And frankly while we might occasionally gain a student, I think the real value is in letting the kids and newer adults get up on stage and "do their thing". I would bet that if I posted video of the new students there would be no shortage of criticism of their techniques -- lord knows I'm doing that in my head as I watch. But... It ain't the point anyway. The kids have a blast and their friends often come to watch. Insightful viewers hopefully will notice that the new folk and kids look different from the instructors. And the experienced folk do get up there near the end and do things at full speed and intensity. I let one of my 16-year-olds toss me into 4 breakfalls in a row. It was all good.

To me the real benefit of the demos is to give the students a chance to show what they know and where they're at. Yeah, there is some PR aspect to it, but not a lot in the final analysis. The kids are the ones who have the best time. And their parents cheering in the audience. So we get up, do our thing, have a good time, then go out for lunch...

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

I must gave missed it, but...
-how old are both of you?
-how long have you been training?

The answers will help frame worthwhile responses, I believe.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
I must gave missed it, but...
-how old are both of you?
-how long have you been training?

The answers will help frame worthwhile responses, I believe.

Thanks.
We're both 16
-I've been training for about 18-19 months now and I'm a 5th kyu(I'm the taller one) and val(she's the shorter one), i wanna say has been training for somewhere between 3 and 5 years and is a 4th almost 3rd kyu

Alf: The Jo was the 31 Jo Kata and yeah, the kumitachi was quite suckish but we were trying to make it more impressive for a crowd of teenagers....I'd like to work on it more and get better...

-Daniela
Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
kitana ukira
United_States

Quote:
We're both 16
-I've been training for about 18-19 months now and I'm a 5th kyu(I'm the taller one) and val(she's the shorter one), i wanna say has been training for somewhere between 3 and 5 years and is a 4th almost 3rd kyu

Alf: The Jo was the 31 Jo Kata and yeah, the kumitachi was quite suckish but we were trying to make it more impressive for a crowd of teenagers....I'd like to work on it more and get better...

-Daniela
Daniela, I've been training for 6 years, and yes we are both 16, but I'm technically older. and THANKS ALF!! You should get back to the mat...but I think I stare at the ground to make sure I know where I'm going
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

OK, thanks. In that case....
Good job with going 6+ minutes in the demo and not appearing to slow too much near the end.
Overall, especially during the last half, my only critique would be to move, both as uke and nage, with a little more focus and crispness and presence (without getting stiff and rigid, mind you) as you move around the mat and execute techniques; no need to go slower or faster, and nerves and roll-playing might well be part of the scenario.

And as mentionned, see everything and everyone around you, not just your uke....though that would help to begin with.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Our club found having YouTube video on our website really helped people make that first big step of coming to the dojo. I think it helps remove the perception of big scary martial artists just waiting to pounce on fresh throw toys.

Anecdotally clunky techniques, goofy beginners (and instructors) can be more effective than death-defying breakfalls in attracting members

http://www.youtube.com/griffithaikido

best,
dan

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Downloading your demo now...

Congratulations! Great demo, especially considering where you're performing ... infront of your most critical peers. Terrifying.

Best bit : The crowd went OOH when Daniela first got dumped on her head!

Worst bit : Daniela falls too early in the hand-to-hand throws, but that's kinda normal for some dojos so maybe that's what you're taught in yours.

I didn't think Daniela slumped much compared to what I was expecting after reading the comments. Good job.

I have one big complaint : No cheerleaders. I was expecting cheerleaders but there weren't any.
Next time eh ...

Last edited by Michael Douglas : 04-15-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: watched it.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
danielab1924
United_States

Nick: Thanks for the feedback! it's always appreciated! well that's good we didn't look TOO tired becuase we WERE. When it was over we went and collapsed in a corner for a little while.....I need to work on noticing my surroundings, you're definitely right, although I think I was making an effort to ignore the audience since there was around 1200 people.....O_o
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #21
kitana ukira
United_States

Everyone,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it quite a bit (but my partner I'm clueless about.

Nick- I think what happened was that after the majority of it, we are basically running on fumes, and then our focus wavers quite a bit. Therefore, we end up losing our zanshin. Hopefully we can make it so that even when we have no energy, we can keep zanshin. Thank you!

Dan- I've never thought that the "clunky, goofy" techniques could appeal more. You have a point when you say that the impressive stuff can intimidate newcomers.

Michael- I think that Daniela and I were trying to make it at smooth as possible, which meant falling whenever it felt like we were supposed to. I know that probably shouldn't have been done, but the show must go on. and Cheerleaders? why cheerleaders? Just a side story, we had the hardest time with the cheerleaders when preparing for our performance...

All the best, -Valerie
Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Downloading your demo now...

Best bit : The crowd went OOH when Daniela first got dumped on her head!

Worst bit : Daniela falls too early in the hand-to-hand throws, but that's kinda normal for some dojos so maybe that's what you're taught in yours.

I didn't think Daniela slumped much compared to what I was expecting after reading the comments. Good job.
Best bit- HEY! lol did i really fall on my head? I remember crushing my ribs.....

Worst bit-falling early? some of that, yes, I did because I couldn't really figure where she was going with it on the spot like that so I decided to just falling instead of standing there struggling with her. I noticed on some of them it looks like I kind of just gave up but, that was why.....our dojo, however, does teach to fall before we get hurt but not to just give ourselves up like a rag doll....

Gosh, everyone keeps commenting my posture. was it really that bad?

-Daniela
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #23
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Geowaza? jiyu-waza.

I realize you are both kyu ranks but you need to be more focused on using your centers and displaying good posture, control and balance.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #24
danielab1924
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
Geowaza? jiyu-waza.

I realize you are both kyu ranks but you need to be more focused on using your centers and displaying good posture, control and balance.
yes I KNOW i spelled it wrong! gosh, the criticism I get for being american.....

yup yup, we've got to try and not be so hyper in the future....
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
yes I KNOW i spelled it wrong! gosh, the criticism I get for being american.....
No one is criticizing you for being American. We're pointing out that you misspelled a word (and fairly badly). How are those two things related?

Kentokuseisei