Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #51
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu
Re: *Tentative* dates for Akuzawa (Aunkai) in Seattle, WA 11/3-11/4

I'll ditto all the thank yous: George, Rob, Akuzawa Sensei, Chris and Geoff. Nice to meet some folks and deepen my practice some more.

Two things that I took away; I've been using too much arm tension while doing mabu. When I settled through my back more I start the feel the connection though the back to the pelvic girdle.

Another is that I;ve been focusing too much on opening the pelvic girdle without "sitting" in it. Ark and Rob corrected me a few times and I felt as if I was understanding better by the end of the weekend.

Thank so much again to Rob, Nori and Akuzawa sensei for their time and efforts.

Best
Jeremy

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #52
Franco
United_States

I have much thinking to do about the seminar. Akuzawa taught some exercises that are aimed at creating connection in the body. Most of them were quite painful. No, actually all of them were quite painful. One of the ideas was related to creating opposing tensions in the body, like in "heaven and earth" and shiko. There was also the concept of keeping your "upper cross" and back intact while kicking or walking. What I do know is that my poor attempts at applying joint locks on Akuzawa were completely fruitless. He just stood there saying "harder!". And his kick sent me backwards about 10 feet.

Now I have to start doing the exercises daily. Ouch.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #53
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Franco Cuminato wrote: View Post
my poor attempts at applying joint locks on Akuzawa were completely fruitless. He just stood there saying "harder!". And his kick sent me backwards about 10 feet.

Now I have to start doing the exercises daily. Ouch.
So analyse it. What did he do that thwarted your joint locks? How did it feel? What did you learn from that? Maybe is kicking you was just a version of the same basic power that thwarted your joint locks? Approach it like a scientist.

Best.

Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #54
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
This event was top notch. I was only sorry that my battered old knee wasn't able to go the distance each day. A fantastic amount of great information about proper body alignment and power. I have to say, much like doing a Systema workshop, the exercises made me think of Mr T in Rocky when he said "P-A-I-N"...
Ledyard Sensei,

Could you comment on the feel of Akuzawa-sama's technique since you have mentioned your encounter with Mike Sigman (sama)?

Did you find the experiences similar at all, very similar, completely different?

Could you comment as to how their approaches relate (at least from your perspective)? And if you've met Dan Harden (sama), could you add him to the comparisons?

In other words, do you feel like they are really all doing something very related or that they're each doing something really substantially different in approach and/or effect?

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #55
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Ledyard Sensei,

Could you comment on the feel of Akuzawa-sama's technique since you have mentioned your encounter with Mike Sigman (sama)?

Did you find the experiences similar at all, very similar, completely different?

Could you comment as to how their approaches relate (at least from your perspective)? And if you've met Dan Harden (sama), could you add him to the comparisons?
[snip]
Ark, Mike and Dan . . . the Sama Brothers.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #56
Franco
United_States

Mike:

Well, when I tried to put a joint lock on him, it felt like his whole body, instead of being a collection of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments, was one single mass of tissue. STRONG tissue. You and others talk about "fascia", so that must be what it is. While I was trying a kote-gaeshi, he explained (Rob translated) that he was directing my pressure to his center through some lines, although I can't say I actually understand the meaning of "inside lines", "outside lines", etc.

Regarding his kick, somebody asked me what it felt like, and honestly all I can say is that it felt like being hit by a truck. I don't want to know what his kicks feel like when his back doesn't hurt. Yikes.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #57
Mike Sigman
United_States

[quote=Franco Cuminato;193280]Well, when I tried to put a joint lock on him, it felt like his whole body, instead of being a collection of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments, was one single mass of tissue. STRONG tissue. You and others talk about "fascia", so that must be what it is. While I was trying a kote-gaeshi, he explained (Rob translated) that he was directing my pressure to his center through some lines, although I can't say I actually understand the meaning of "inside lines", "outside lines", etc.[/quotes] Sounds like the "groundpath" idea that Rob and I have talked about before. The path may go to his center, but his center has a direct line to the ground through his leg. So basically, instead of reacting locally to your joint-lock, he let the ground handle your joint-lock.
Quote:
Regarding his kick, somebody asked me what it felt like, and honestly all I can say is that it felt like being hit by a truck. I don't want to know what his kicks feel like when his back doesn't hurt. Yikes.
Maybe he kicked you with the ground? Of course the body has to be trained to convey/conduct the ground, so you have to do exercises which train the body to do that.

Best.

Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #58
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
Better than being the Ko Sisters, I guess.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #59
Timothy WK
United_States

Quote:
While I was trying a kote-gaeshi, he explained (Rob translated) that he was directing my pressure to his center through some lines, although I can't say I actually understand the meaning of "inside lines", "outside lines", etc.
Heh, this is one of the "secrets". As you develop internal connection/ lines/ tensions, you'll learn that when one part of your body is moved, you can (literally) feel a pull in other parts of your body.

As you continue working on Ark's exercises, every now and again have someone put a kote-gaeshi/ nikkyo/ etc on you (or practice the locks on yourself). Have them apply pressure real slow and gentle, so you feel more of a stretch than a lock. Stay real relaxed and pay attention to how it feels. Where do you feel the stretch? How far can you extend that stretch? Can you feel it in your forearms? What about your upper arms? What about your body?

When you get to the point where you can feel the stretch in your body, you'll really be able to start resisting the pressure like Ark did. (At least, that's what was been told to me, I'm not there yet.) Part of this is a mind trick, but a lot of it is simply developing those internal lines/ connections/ tensions.

--Timothy Kleinert
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #60
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

Long time lurker, first time poster…

Thanks to Rob, Nori, Hunter, and of course Akuzawa Sensei. Thank you, Chris for getting Ark here and providing this great opportunity. Thanks to George Ledyard and Joe Springrose for the use of the Aikido Eastside dojo, and for Geoff of the TNBBC for being registration guy even with a bum ankle (I hope the healing process is going well!).

Our little basement-troll workout group, the TNBBC (Icho Ryu), had Rob out here for a seminar about a year ago, and we have been working on the exercises continuously since then (actually earlier, when Chris and Jeremy came back from Tokyo, jazzed about the Aunkai methods). I have noticed that my own structure has improved significantly during that time, and I am able to impart force more directly into Uke, while maintaining my own structure and connection to the ground. However, I have a looooong way to go. I realized during this session with Akuzawa Sensei and Rob, with their helpful adjustments of my frame, that I was not correctly seated in the kua, causing stress on my lower back and quads. This adjustment is very valuable to me (and frankly was the only reason I was able to continue the seminar into the second day). There were many other "Ah HA!" moments when I noticed I was "off" just a bit, and I am beginning to get a better idea of what I am supposed to be doing in these exercises. I look forward to hard practice and sharing notes with my comrades (and hopefully another seminar in the future!).

Ark was amazing and inspiring. He and his crew took a lot of time to explain precise ideas about form and the intent of the exercises. Ark was friendly and helpful, and with Rob's interpretation help provided excellent answers to all queries. When Rob was not available, Ark was still able to show by example, by feel, or by correction, and it was extremely valuable to get that kind of instruction. Rob was excellent, clear, humorous, and friendly as always, and is a testament to the Aunkai method and Ark's teaching. Nori and Hunter were likewise very friendly and helpful to everyone and I was grateful for their presence (Nori was inspiring: a small woman with burly power).

What does Ark have that I don't? I outweigh him by a good 40 lbs probably, and he was able to fling me about like a baby during a push hands exercise. It was so powerful and solid, yet so flowing that I had to laugh out loud at my own inability to stop it. From the times when I was able to feel his technique, resistance to an applied technique, or just a simple explanatory movement directly, he has incredible connection to the ground, but is immanently mobile. His frame building solo exercises over the years have made him what people refer to as "monkey-strong" or "cat-strong". I have tussled with large, muscular guys, and the feeling is so different. I envision it as an elastic strength in the tendons, allowing for sudden, powerful movement or slow steady pressure. I believe his methods work, because Rob feels different (more powerful), just under a year after last I met him. Building these pathways and strengthening the frame is clearly worth all the effort.

Understanding that this kind of ability is out there makes me feel very humble, but also very excited at the prospect of training in this direction. It's going to be an interesting journey of discovery. I am still absorbing and digesting all of the information (mind and body), so if I will leave descriptions of actual technique or terminology to others more prepared than myself.

The most important concept at the Aunkai seminar was imparted when Akuzawa Sensei was discussing his ideas of structure and connection. To paraphrase: Once you know what to feel for, what you want to affect in yourself and have identified these key ideas in the exercises, you can create your own exercises or adapt these concepts to other aspects of your physical nature and activities, so practice can be continuous and beneficial for your body type.

(Best Seminar Evar!)

Sincerely,

John Connolly

p.s. "Hi" to all the great guys n gals I met at the seminar and dinner, and thanks for enduring all those tough exercises along with me in such great humor and friendliness!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #61
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I've felt Dan and Rob, didn't really get to do a lot with Akuzawa Sensei...and I had to miss the 2nd day cause of work.

They feel like they use the same principles, the exercises they use are similar.

Good stuff...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #62
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
My question is, "Are they really all doing basicall the same thing or is it....sama this and sama that?"

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #63
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
While I was trying a kote-gaeshi, he explained (Rob translated) that he was directing my pressure to his center through some lines, although I can't say I actually understand the meaning of "inside lines", "outside lines", etc.
I have been exploring the "ten chi jin" exercise without guidance other than what I've read on the aunkai website. That's this form:

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/bujyutu/kiban.html

It's the second photograph, the subject stands with both hands raised, palms up, fingers pointing outward.

Try standing the same way, but turn the fingers inward instead of outward, palms still up.

Do you notice any difference? How would you describe that?

Best wishes.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #64
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

John summed up what was so good about the Aunkai methods in general and this seminar in particular extremely well. This just simply is very valuable stuff. It's not easy and it's not comfortable, but I *know* that I am a better martial artist today than I would have been if I hadn't stopped by their dojo a year ago. When I met my current teacher (Neil) my ability to understand and perform waza changed in a monumental way. Since then, I've been pretty generally underwhelmed whenever I would venture out into the seminar world or back into mainstream Aikido spheres. So when I met Rob and Ark and had to really step back and say, "Wow, there's something here." It was signifigant. To be honest, I was really nervous about the first workshop we hosted with Rob. After all, it had just been a couple hours while I was rather sick, jet lagged and in a foreign country. Was I just in an impressionable headspace? But after talking up their methods and hosting Rob's workshop (attended by a lot of folks whose opinion I really respect) I realized that memory was true. Getting this chance to see Ark again was extremely valuable. I had a number of things really some together for me (particularly on the second day) that I'm really looking forward to exploring further. (This was the first time I was able to feel the kind of kua-heel-palm connection that I did, where the strain literally comes off the quads and you almost feel the pressure of the mat in your palms. This was during the SLOW tenchijin exercise on day 2.)

Watching Ark bounce our 'little' Samoan Fritz around during Aiki-age was basically worth the price of admission, and I can still hear John's laughter at being bounced about during the exercise he mentions above.

As for what I learned and how I will apply it, I'll leave that to my journal and the coming weeks of class. It's too hard to mis-communicate and get lost in semantics on the forums. Futhermore, I really fell that I just need to do it and live in the results longer before I start trying to explain how to apply it. The methodology is such that it changes how you *are*, not how you do x-waza. It really is the kind of thing that you just have to go feel. Of coursel, after you feel it, you could buy the DVD...

Edit: Oi, Mark Gibbons, post your thoughts! You are in an excellent place to comment on how this feels and how valuable it might be. You also know what I felt like before I ever tried this stuff and we got to play a little at the workshop.

Last edited by ChrisMoses : 11-05-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #65
KIT

Dang! I had a prior commitment with a combatives seminar down here.

I really wanted to roll a bit with Ark, and see Rob again.

Would have liked to meet Ron Tisdale, as well, I am always interested in the reasonable point of view in your posts.

Sounds like there is a Seattle "study group" developing? I should make a point to drop in when I am up north, I know Neil is always game for a roll!

Josh - I'll show you the gun grappling in vehicle stuff we did if you'll show me the stuff you guys did with Ark......

Sounds like good training, sorry I missed it.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #66
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Kit Leblanc wrote: View Post
Kit, sorry you missed it but glad to hear you are up and training again. Not to sound cliche, but we were all thinking of you after your, er, on the job injury...

Stop by anytime.

Note: appologies for all the typos in my earlier post, apparently all of my blood is still in my quads and not my brain... Narf...

Last edited by ChrisMoses : 11-05-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Chris Moses
Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #67
Josh Lerner

United_States

Quote:
Kit Leblanc wrote: View Post

I really wanted to roll a bit with Ark, and see Rob again.

Would have liked to meet Ron Tisdale, as well, I am always interested in the reasonable point of view in your posts.

Sounds like there is a Seattle "study group" developing? I should make a point to drop in when I am up north, I know Neil is always game for a roll!

Josh - I'll show you the gun grappling in vehicle stuff we did if you'll show me the stuff you guys did with Ark......

Sounds like good training, sorry I missed it.
Meeting Ron was another highlight, actually. I could tell who he was when I heard him from across the dojo. "Wow, that has to be Ron Tisdale. He talks just like he posts."

And Neil and Chris' group is great to work out with - dedicated and serious. I've only been up there once, though, 'cuz Neil threw me out and told me not to come back until I had the good sense to either get a clue or, failing that, at least bring him some good Scotch.

You're on for the "gun fun for agonizing self-inflicted nerve stretch and muscle failure" trade. If you promise not to hurt me too bad, I promise to show you the things we did that will hurt really good.

Josh
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #68
KIT
Post Re: *Tentative* dates for Akuzawa (Aunkai) in Seattle, WA 11/3-11/4

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Kit, sorry you missed it but glad to hear you are up and training again. Not to sound cliche, but we were all thinking of you after your, er, on the job injury... .
Deepest thanks to all, then!

Josh - yer on!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #69
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

I don't really have time and shouldn't be posting, but...
What everyone else said and thank you to all especially Arkazawa sensei and Rob san.

One thing I really appreciate that hasn't been mentioned is that Arkazawa sensei brings a wide perspective of experience. He has had a lot of access in a bunch of different places and to a bunch of different sensei. That brings a dimension to the things he is talking about. I felt that as he enumerated various principles in his own way, I could make connections to what I have been taught and also have a feeling that those ideas were also held by various teachers and dojo whom Arkazawa respects. When you are struggling away, knowing you have company like that can be very comforting and inspiring.

Again great to see everyone.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #70
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Great posts, fellas, please keep 'em coming

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #71
MM
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
The methodology is such that it changes how you *are*, not how you do x-waza. It really is the kind of thing that you just have to go feel.
LOL, now you sound like Dan.

Mark
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #72
dbotari
Canada

I would also like to echo the thanks expressed to Ark, Rob and nori for their instruction and patience, Chris and joe for their efforts in keeping the seminar and events organized and George for hosting this event.

I, like Josh, also had many moments where I found myself connecting faces to names I'd read on this forum. I got a chance to meet many but not all. hopefully next time I'll get around to see/meet everyone.

This was my first hands on exposure to this "stuff" and understand better the comments "you have to feel it". The challenge going forward is to be disciplined enough to add these exercises to a daily routine. I think I'll focus on the "Stillness" exercises for a long while until they ar ingrained before trying to apply the principles using the "Movement" exercises.

Once again. Thanks to everyone involved in making the seminar a great event. I really enjoyed myself and met many great people. It was worth the flight from Toronto.

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. I echo Ron's call for an East Coast refresher seminar - maybe in the spring???
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #73
MM
United_States

Yeah, sounds like a really great seminar. Wish I could have made it.

David Orange,
The exercises are easy to copy from video/text instruction. However, I've found that the exercises are not easy to *do correctly* from video/text instruction.

Agree with Ron. They all felt similar, to this beginner anyway.

Rob John,
Maybe when you get time, you can post highlights of what you did at the seminars for those of us who weren't there, but know some of what you're doing?

Hope to meet everyone one of these days,
Mark
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #74
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Kit, you were missed! Get back soon and hook up at a seminar with Ark, it will be worth it!

Thanks to all for the kind words...

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #75
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
I think I'll focus on the "Stillness" exercises for a long while until they ar ingrained before trying to apply the principles using the "Movement" exercises.
From my own experiences, I would encourage you to at least do the cross-training walking drill 'ashi-age' even from the very beginning. This drill seems to begin the transition to dynamic movement with body structure, and also serves to get blood moving through the legs, gently stretching many of the muscles that get really worked in the stillness exercises. (Note: by 'cross-training' I don't mean cross-discipline, but rather exercises that serve to build the 'cross' connection in the upper chest/back/spine.)

Chris Moses