Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
NTT

Dojo: Ringenkai
France
2010 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu workshop with Iwami soke

Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu is the 2 swords school of Miyamoto Musashi. It is kenjutsu.
2010 workshop with Iwami soke, 11th successor to Miyamoto Musashi, will take place in Papendal, Netherlands. It is open to all whatever experience you have in Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu.
The cost is 225€ for 3 days teachning with soke.
Conditions and formular on http://www.niten.nl/Documenten/Niten_English.pdf
More informations, contact: niten2010@sjok.nl
Contact in France : niten.france@yahoo.fr

More information on this ryu:
Dutch: www.sjok.nl
English: http://hyohonitenichiryu.wordpress.com/
French: http://nitenichiryu.wordpress.com/
Italian: http://hyohonitenichiryuitalia.wordpress.com/

Aikidoists are welcome!

Nguyen Thanh Thien
Aikido Ringenkai and Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu kenjutsu
Aikido Ringenkai in French and author of "Le voyage d'un maître" in French
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
NTT

France
Nito seiho with Iwami soke

Here is a video from KendoWorld: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7LDX...ayer_embedded#!

Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu is open to all who are interested. It is learning inside a koryu, that means to my understanding that one does not learn tips or theories. One goes through keiko, training, and "keiko works us out".

Nguyen Thanh Thien
Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
NTT

France
How I came to study Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu and the link with Aiki arts

At first, I did not wish to learn Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. I only wished to learn koryu. It happened through meeting with Imai soke and Iwami soke, 10th and 11th successor to Miyamoto Musashi. It has changed my practice because in Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, one puts energy or intention first, then comes the technique. This change of point of view (strictly speaking) has enriched my practice of the sword. We often wonder about energy but when keiko starts with energy the questions fades away.

In the beginning, I was not looking for answers, just for practice. I was neither looking for improving my training, just meeting the experience of an old school. I was very lucky to meet an 86 years old master with the sword in hand a few feet in front of me shouting: "ikki-oi", "push the breath/energy" and witnessing what he was doing. Since then, I spread the word: "Koryu are teaching us".

My friends asked me if there was opposition or contradiction in the use of energy between Aiki arts and Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu kenjutsu. At first one meets the difficulty of learning a new use of the sword. Those difficulties we try to call them oppositions but with time, work, sweat, one grasps something that unites without blending.

One of the most astonishing things about the meeting of these arts is that I discovered I like recieving the sword thrust. I have the same feeling in Mae Ukemi. One gets the full energy of Tori in Shiho Nage and one has to respond in the same time as if walking on his thrust. Jun Akiyama asked me once if I did not miss the cutting feel of a katana as we only work with bokken. In the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu seiho, "conducting of energy" or kata, there is a strong feeling of the cut when the bokken comes forth.

I also like the twist in a second of recieving the edge of the sword and cutting back. It is very energetic. As in many arts, one feels more alive. Those are the pleasures I find in martial arts.

Nguyen Thanh Thien