Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-20-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
taras
United Kingdom
Is additional trainig good on a grading day?

I've got grading tomorrow at 2.30 I just met some people who invited me to train with them in a new dojo between 12 and 2.00 tomorrow. I'd really like to come but I am wondering if it may affect my performance at the grading. I am not going to do 6 hours of randori but I thought maybe if I warm myself up for a couple of hours it might help. What do you think?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Just take it light and go at about 1/4 speed. You don't want to be winded or injured for your grading.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
SmilingNage
United_States
I would just go over the opening movements to your testing requirements. Nice an easy, do all the different openings for the technique. Anything more is to much.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
jxa127
Geez. We actually train for a while at our dojo before we train. Before my most recent test (a few weeks ago), we trained for almost an hour and a half before testing. We were all pretty tired at that point.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 06-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
Kevin Wilbanks
I would say it depends upon your level of conditioning and your psychological disposition. If you're in excellent shape, the earlier training won't matter much, unless you get hurt. On the other hand, if you're out of shape, it might make you listless during the test. The other thing I was thinking was that if you get really nervous about testing, getting a little worn out ahead of time might help reduce your anxiety level somewhat.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
I agree with Damion go slow and as to get the form of all your moves. I am testing on 6/27/03 for my 4TH Q Exam wish me luck.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
We don't really get a choice. Our tests are after a day-long seminar. Spend the whole day doing brand new techniques/ applications, and then go back to the old stuff for the test (unless sensei descides to change the test at the last minute)
Old 06-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Drew Ames (jxa127) wrote:
We actually train for a while at our dojo before we train.
Is that a Zen koan, Drew?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:06 PM   #9
jxa127
Quote:
Sean Orchard (deepsoup) wrote:
Is that a Zen koan, Drew?
Uh... Yeah! That's it. Now, think about it for a while.

-Drew

P.S. I meant that we usually train for a while before testing. The goal is actually to get us a bit tired and a bit relaxed.

----
-Drew Ames
Old 06-25-2003, 05:23 PM   #10
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Before the grading I had last time, we had a mini seminar. The grading was around 1300hrs if I remember, and we practiced from 0800-1200.

During the grading I was feeling strangely calm. More than just confident, but energized also (like the bunny ). The grading felt really light, I was breathing normally, not out of breath.

My only problem was that my bad knee was acting up, but I managed.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 06-25-2003, 06:15 PM   #11
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
usually the grading in our dojo is held after the regular class. The point is to warm the body up and maybe to revise some techniques that you still not sure about.

So, I suggest that just take up the invitation, just make sure that you don't get injured.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #12
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters
in our dojo we have a warm up first then sensei ezra says anyone taking a grading want to go over a technique.and we either say yes or no.i had a grading on the 8th july 2003.i passed so now i am a 5th kyu.i have knee problems and halfway through my knees went on me so i got back up and carried on even though my knees were killing me and i could not breathe.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #13
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
Post Personal energy

[quote="Kevin Wilbanks]"I would say it depends upon your level of conditioning and your psychological disposition. If you're in excellent shape, the earlier training won't matter much, unless you get hurt"

----------------------------------------------

Exacto!, and if for any reason you get hurt and couldnt take test, there is no luck thing, simple means was not your time.

I saw this last years a fellow hurted his lower leg just about couple hours before shodan test, wise he desisted and waited trough next seminar he was ready to test even injured. We had lunch together, the guy was so sad he brought his wife and daughter to see his promo, "it is not your time, stay happy and wait, dont let your hurted leg to make you make bad test"

Praetoriano