Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
how should i aproach my 4th kyu test?

my 4th kyu test is 6 weeks out how should i aproach it? cardio,pace,speed ect.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: how should i aproach my 4th kyu test?

Leading up to the test, focus on being relaxed and precise when doing your techniques. Otherwise, just do whatever your sensei suggests.

On the day of the test, take your time and try to relax. The biggest mistake people make in their testing is to tense up and rush their techniques. For a 4th kyu test, I doubt you will need to do any cardio work.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Basia Halliop
Canada

That varies so much from dojo to dojo. You'd be best off to ask others in your dojo, especially if you haven't seen many similar tests yet in the time you've been training there. Or your sensei. And the answer probably also depends on what your personal weaknesses are.

That said, probably no harm in being overprepared...

IMO, for however much that's worth, I would personally say aim to be in good shape - don't let fitness be a limiting factor - be in good enough shape that the test feels physically easy - but IMO I would also say on the test don't go faster than you're able to do while still keeping the technical quality high (by which I mean around the top quality of what you're currently capable of). I.e., personally from the tests I've done and seen, I'd say be careful not to speed up to the point that you start to get sloppy or mess up your posture or positioning or start moving incorrectly. Better to go slowly and well. As you practice more and the movements become more natural and automatic to you and more deeply programmed into your body and mind, how fast that point actually is just naturally seems to get faster and faster over time, but IMHO the first goal is good technique.

That's just MY opinion, though, and I'm not the one testing you . So my opinion is, to put it extremely mildly, not terribly important in the matter .

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
tim evans
United_States

Thanks for the responses I,ve watched the last two tests of 4th Kyus and know what to expect our tests seem different than most on here that I have read about we start out with bokken work happo giri for me then ukemi backrolls,forward rolls w/wo slap then techniques so you are winded when you start
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Ah... knowing that, I might focus from the very start on doing all movement including weapons and rolls slowly enough to key my movements to my own normal inhale/exhale pattern and then continue this through the partnered techniques- if uke comes in fast, control center line and set the slower pace of your breathing. This may also help you relax a bit ...
Oh... and it also helps me to think of the mat as my home and I'm smiling and inviting uke in :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
Mario Tobias
Philippines

prepare like you're going for your 3rd kyu. my 2 cents.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Most dojos and federations have lists of techniques that are required at different levels. I'd suggest reviewing these but not focusing on them in preparing for your test (because as Mario says, there's no rule that says that your test won't go beyond that). Learn the terminology enough so that you're not standing up there saying, "Huh, what's that" when sensei calls out a technique, but don't spend an enormous amount of time on this either. Rather, I'd say focus on the fundamentals that underlie good technique. Every sensei has a different way that they talk about these -- mine tends to talk about "when" being the most important thing, "where" being next, and "what" (all those techniques on the list) being last. So, my sensei cares more about how good your timing is and how you get to the opening, than what you do once you're there -- the "what" still matters, but it needs good timing and proper movement to be effective. Your sensei's favorite fundamentals may be different --, now would be a good time to start listening closely in class and discover what they are. Your aikido classes are more than a string of techniques -- start paying attention to the principles that your sensei is stressing, and work on developing them in your practice so you can demonstrate them on the test.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Benjamin Mehner
Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai, Zen Bu Kan
United_States

I took my 4th kyu test two weeks ago (and passed). My strategy was to take it slow and get it right. As one of my dojomates often says "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

Let silence be my mantra.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
tim evans
United_States

Well I passed I was a little quick on the nikkyos now on to 3rd kyu