Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #626
lbb
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
I really hate to throw the chicken under the bus on this debate concerning evolution, but it does beg the question..."Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Obviously, he didn't. He got run over by the bus.

To quote a character from one of my favorite movies: "What is this, an intergalactic Talmud lesson???"

Old 12-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #627
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
Yes, I wondered why you didn't say anything when I was talking about knife fights several pages back, afa how Aikido has one grabbing at the knife. Do you think that's a good idea?

Btw, Merry Christmas(time to join my other family and sing carols and open presents) to all and to all a good night.
The reason I didn't say anything is that we are discussing the evolution of aikido and not "how to fight".

I personally make a distinction between fighting and Aiki. After about 13 years of studying Aikido, I feel like I have a decent understanding of what the methodology is designed to impart and what it is not.

Once we enter the realm of "fighting" or "tactics", that opens up a whole new area of discussion and focus.

Aikido is a part of that realm for me, but it is a completely separate training "time" in which I like to spend doing different training methods aside from TTPs or Skills.

I do, however, think it is good training to "crossover" and to put the pieces of the puzzle together from time to time though.

I think you would find the way I train more in tune with what you are looking for as I like to train a spectrum of things. There are others out there too that like to do the same.

I am very careful though about "blending" and the "evolving" thing though as it is important to keep methodologies distinct as they are designed to enhance/improve specific things. Hence why I am so adamant about thee whole evolution thing.

Again, I agree, there is alot of bad aikido with people doing things like grabbing for knives etc. That doesn't mean that the whole of aikido needs to evolve, just those that are doing the stuff the wrong way!

Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #628
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
The reason I didn't say anything is that we are discussing the evolution of aikido and not "how to fight".
But, imo, that is directly a perfect example of what I'm talking about of Aikido evolving.
Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Again, I agree, there is alot of bad aikido with people doing things like grabbing for knives etc. That doesn't mean that the whole of aikido needs to evolve, just those that are doing the stuff the wrong way!
Btw, so you're saying there's AIkido techniques that teach to totally get away from the knife (like we found to be the safest thing to do in FoF, i.e. in a real knife encounter)? I'll admit I'm new to Aikido, but I don't know of any( and don't think I'm not concerned about that"bad Aikido" and "etc" you mentioned). If any technique of Aikido is "'flawed" and has room for improvement, then is has room to evolve. Nishio Sensei even says Aikido has evolved over the last 50 yrs, so I know it's possible for Aikido to evolve.
Also, I've never said Aikido needed a complete makeover. In fact ,most of the changes will be subtle, others significant, but any change, however slight, if it's an improvement, it's an evolvement

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman

Old 12-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #629
GeneC
United_States

This is from the book "Aikido Weapons Techniques" by Phong Thong Dang and Lynn Seiser (pg 56 Bo-jutsu and Jo-jutsu)- "Bo-jutsu and Jo-jutsu have never lost their combat effectiveness, because they were initially ideal for defeating but not killing. Jodo is a modern attempt to EVOLVE the more combative jutsu system into a sport, or 'do'." So here they're saying "do" means evolving to a sport. So the same could be said for Aiki-jutsu to Aikido(without losing any of it's spiritual or Budo meaning).

Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #630
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Teaching new students quicker, more effective...I would not waste my time with aikido or even be concerned with evolving aikido..
???(Am I missing something here?) I'm surprised....how many sempai and sensei finds themselves, at one time or another thinking to themselves (or even saying),"I know this concept, but how can I possibly teach it to that student." How much time (and students) would be saved if students could understand concepts sooner and/or easier, without frustration.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #631
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Obviously, he didn't. He got run over by the bus.

To quote a character from one of my favorite movies: "What is this, an intergalactic Talmud lesson???"
Yep! He did. LOL

Old 12-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #632
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
This is from the book "Aikido Weapons Techniques" by Phong Thong Dang and Lynn Seiser (pg 56 Bo-jutsu and Jo-jutsu)- "Bo-jutsu and Jo-jutsu have never lost their combat effectiveness, because they were initially ideal for defeating but not killing. Jodo is a modern attempt to EVOLVE the more combative jutsu system into a sport, or 'do'."
This is a correct usage of the term evolve since the combative form of the arts referred to are being altered in a fundamental ways that will result in wholy separate species of each.

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
So here they're saying "do" means evolving to a sport.
WADR to Phong Dong Dang and Lynn Seiser, I believe the usage of 'do' is being incorrectly employed. There are many 'do' arts that are not sporting activities (Chado, the Way of tea, Kado, the Way of flowers, Shodo, the Way of writing to name a few). Therefore I have to respectively disagree with Gene's conclusion that 'do' means evolving to a sport when, in fact, 'do' translates to Way and implies:

"...a body of knowledge and tradition with an ethic and an aesthetic, and having the characteristics of specialization (senmonsei), transmissivity (keishōsei), normativity (kihansei), universality (kihensei), and authoritativeness (ken'isei)." from the Wikipedia Encyclopedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8D_(Way)

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
So the same could be said for Aiki-jutsu to Aikido(without losing any of it's spiritual or Budo meaning).
Applying the same usage of evolve as in the above paragraph I'd have to disagree since Aikido retains the characteristics of a martial art and is clearly not a separate species from Aiki-jutsu.

Ron

Old 12-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #633
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
But, imo, that is directly a perfect example of what I'm talking about of Aikido evolving.

Btw, so you're saying there's AIkido techniques that teach to totally get away from the knife (like we found to be the safest thing to do in FoF, i.e. in a real knife encounter)? I'll admit I'm new to Aikido, but I don't know of any( and don't think I'm not concerned about that"bad Aikido" and "etc" you mentioned). If any technique of Aikido is "'flawed" and has room for improvement, then is has room to evolve. Nishio Sensei even says Aikido has evolved over the last 50 yrs, so I know it's possible for Aikido to evolve.
Also, I've never said Aikido needed a complete makeover. In fact ,most of the changes will be subtle, others significant, but any change, however slight, if it's an improvement, it's an evolvement
For the most part aikido is a principal based practice or methodology designed to teach principles of aiki. As such it, it is really only (or should be) concerned with teaching principles of martial movement. It is why I use the term "Martially Relevant" and not "Martially Effective". Shomenuchi practiced correctly is martially relevant, but no one I know of remotely considers it Martially effective!

We practice it that way to help us understand principles. It is a technique in and of itself, but it is not an end unto itself, but a means to and end, which is to teach your "self" "Ai Ki".

It is up to you to explore things martially, to figure out the timing, movement, engagement, ma'ai, and to find application that you consider to be "martially effective".

I for one, think Aikido is really a graduate level practice. yes, it can be entered into at any level of prior experience. However, I think for many it is best to develop a martial base.

One thing I think that is tough for those of us that come from other martial backgrounds like hardstyle Karate, jiujitsu etc. is that we have established a paradigm and filter system that can block us when we apply it against aikido. I know I did for a LONG while!

The paradigm I had was looking at aikido as a "fighting system", and I approached every training day with that mentality. It is frustrating! You see alot of things that simply do not work or you would not do in a fight. (also, sometimes coupled with some silly stuff from some people that is just downright wrong!).

However, assuming that you have access to good instruction, if you can suspend your paradigm of a complete fighting system and look at it as a methodology to teach "aiki" you will begin after a while to see some of the things that it has to offer that will be beneficial when you put it back together.

It is a long, slow road though, and it is not necessarily the ONLY way to do it!

There are alot of solo exercises and training I do on my own, that many aikido instructors either don't know, or don't teach for whatever reason that are good to do as well. I have only begun to scratch the surface on this area, but what I have done has been beneficial.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #634
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
???(Am I missing something here?) I'm surprised....how many sempai and sensei finds themselves, at one time or another thinking to themselves (or even saying),"I know this concept, but how can I possibly teach it to that student." How much time (and students) would be saved if students could understand concepts sooner and/or easier, without frustration.
There are alot of sensei out there that DO teach things like this to their students. Don't assume that just because you have not experienced it that they don't cover it.

Check out Roy Dean's website. He is a good example of a "crossover" that combines BJJ and Aikido. Although I think you will find that he too considers the two methodologies somewhat separate in training and not as a complete hybrid blend.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/

In randori and sparring maybe, but in practice (kata), you have to train them as separate and distinct methodologies in order to benefit from them I think.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #635
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Here is a post from Roy's blog.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/blog

Note where he says that Aikido could benefit from more resitance training. I agree for the most part.

I think AIKIDOKA could benefit, but not at the expense of the methodology.

I want to be clear that I think there are some ways that aikido could be trained better, but not to the point that we evolve it around a model that is based on "effectiveness".

Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #636
Mato-san
Iceland

As always, well said Kevin.

Roy dean has learnt to adapt not only his wrist locks 1 to 5 in his application of BJJ but he also displays beautiful, powerful yet gentle BJJ.
So the foundation of Aikido plays a huge part in his elegance as a martial arts practitioner

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!

Old 12-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #637
Mato-san
Iceland

Look at what we derived..... if I have a weapon and you grab me... I am sure as sh@t you will not let go of me and my wrist...
Ohhh another realm
I will taser, and cuff you mofarker

Tuff talk aside Aikido principles are lord.

when the aggressive ppl come on, just display that that they have a weak center. Maybe they will appreciate it

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #638
lbb
United_States

Quote:
When you find the magic pill that imparts understanding, do let me know. I'll market it and give you a 2% royalty.

As I said to you in another thread, understanding is not something that the teacher can give the student. It seems obvious that you don't want to accept this, but it is the truth.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #639
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
This is a correct usage of the term evolve since the combative form of the arts referred to are being altered in a fundamental ways that will result in wholy separate species of each.
But wait, I just can't accept if that just because you change one thing in a MA, that alone makes it a whole different "species" nor that that specifically defines evolve.

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote:
WADR to Phong Dong Dang and Lynn Seiser, I believe the usage of 'do' is being incorrectly employed. There are many 'do' arts that are not sporting activities (Chado, the Way of tea, Kado, the Way of flowers, Shodo, the Way of writing to name a few). Therefore I have to respectively disagree with Gene's conclusion that 'do' means evolving to a sport when, in fact, 'do' translates to Way and implies
???? Dr Sieser incorrectly, misusing a term??? How do you know those "do's" aren't being competed?

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote:
Applying the same usage of evolve as in the above paragraph I'd have to disagree since Aikido retains the characteristics of a martial art and is clearly not a separate species from Aiki-jutsu.
Ron
So you're saying Aikido and Aiki-jutsu is the same thing? That can't be right.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #640
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
For the most part aikido is a principal based practice or methodology designed to teach principles of aiki. As such it, it is really only (or should be) concerned with teaching principles of martial movement. It is why I use the term "Martially Relevant" and not "Martially Effective". Shomenuchi practiced correctly is martially relevant, but no one I know of remotely considers it Martially effective!
See, here's one of my points, most folks are thinking of Aikido( and most all MA) as an empty hand MA and it isn't. A Shomenuchi with a sword is one of the most Martially effective techniques known to man. However, I'd expect that anybody with any sense wouldn't even attempt it without it.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
We practice it that way to help us understand principles. It is a technique in and of itself, but it is not an end unto itself, but a means to and end, which is to teach your "self" "Ai Ki".
I thought we practice that way so that the Nage can practice his technique and has nothing to do with an empty hand shomenuchi. My point here is alot of opinions are based in a wrong presumption. When I become a Sensei, my students will practice Aikido with a Ken in their hand.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
One thing I think that is tough for those of us that come from other martial backgrounds like hardstyle Karate, jiujitsu etc. is that we have established a paradigm and filter system that can block us when we apply it against aikido. I know I did for a LONG while!The paradigm I had was looking at aikido as a "fighting system", and I approached every training day with that mentality. It is frustrating! You see alot of things that simply do not work or you would not do in a fight. (also, sometimes coupled with some silly stuff from some people that is just downright wrong!).
That is exactly what I was talking about when I said," How much time (and students) would be saved if students could understand concepts sooner and/or easier, without frustration." This'd be an evolvement.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #641
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
There are alot of sensei out there that DO teach things like this to their students. Don't assume that just because you have not experienced it that they don't cover it.
My point is that if that's true, then that's Aikido evolving, bacause not too long ago (and apparently even today), alot of sensei don't. Btw, AFA I'm concerned, I have the best Sensei out there.

Quote:
kevin Leavitt wrote:
Check out Roy Dean's website
WADR, that concept has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Imo, fusing two MA is a mutation, not a hybrid nor evolvement.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #642
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
But wait, I just can't accept if that just because you change one thing in a MA, that alone makes it a whole different "species" nor that that specifically defines evolve.
Ok, don't.

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
???? Dr Sieser incorrectly, misusing a term???
"...incorrectly, misusing a term???" Better think that one over Gene. You've just implied that the term was used correctly and you're questioning its usage. Glad to see we agree on that.

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
How do you know those "do's" aren't being competed?
I never said they weren't being competed, only that they're not considered sports. Would you consider an art competition a sport?

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
So you're saying Aikido and Aiki-jutsu is the same thing? That can't be right.
Insofar as both are martial arts, yes.

Ron

Old 12-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #643
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
"...incorrectly, misusing a term???" Better think that one over Gene.
Ron, Imo, it's correct( something about the comma), but Jun has already warned to keep the posts thread specific and no personal attacks, so unless you have something to add about Aikido evolving, I have nothing else to say except, enjoy the rest of the Holidays.

Last edited by GeneC : 12-26-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #644
GeneC
United_States

I realized something this morning. As I watched our dogs( we have Malamutes and Chijuajuas) feeding and in the process of feeding them we also feed the neighborhood birds- Cackles, Swifts, Doves and Pigeons. I don't mind feeding the other birds, but not those darn verminous, disease carrying Pigeons, but then I realized that even tho Doves are the Birds of Peace, they're more feral than the Pigeons, meaning the Pigoens are more evolved.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #645
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
...they're more feral than the Pigeons, meaning the Pigoens are more evolved.
I still can't get behind your idea of evolution: differently evolved seems more appropriate. I'm assuming you mean feral to denote a higher degree of aggression and from the standpoint of getting food in the wild, that might be more evolved. From the standpoint of getting more food from you, it might be less evolved, but only if it prevents them from attaining their goal. Similarly, Aikido evolution of pedagogy depends upon what you're trying to acheive.

Gambarimashyo!

Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #646
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Ron, Imo, it's correct( something about the comma),...
Touche.

Nevertheless, if the authors are contending that the term 'do' connotes having evolved to a sport in all cases and are not just referring to the two arts mentioned in their book then they're wrong. I'll repost the paragraph from my prior post that contains Wikipedia reference:

There are many 'do' arts that are not sporting activities (Chado, the Way of tea, Kado, the Way of flowers, Shodo, the Way of writing to name a few). Therefore I have to respectively disagree with Gene's conclusion that 'do' means evolving to a sport when, in fact, 'do' translates to Way and implies:

"...a body of knowledge and tradition with an ethic and an aesthetic, and having the characteristics of specialization (senmonsei), transmissivity (keishōsei), normativity (kihansei), universality (kihensei), and authoritativeness (ken'isei)." from the Wikipedia Encyclopedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8D_(Way)

and I'll ask the question again:

Clarence Couch wrote:
How do you know those "do's" aren't being competed?

I never said they weren't being competed, only that they're not considered sports. Would you consider an art competition a sport?

Ron

Old 12-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #647
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I still can't get behind your idea of evolution: differently evolved seems more appropriate. I'm assuming you mean feral to denote a higher degree of aggression and from the standpoint of getting food in the wild, that might be more evolved. From the standpoint of getting more food from you, it might be less evolved, but only if it prevents them from attaining their goal. Similarly, Aikido evolution of pedagogy depends upon what you're trying to acheive.
My idea of evolved is not changed: adapting to improve to survive.
My point about the Pigeon is that it has evolved to be domesticated more than the Dove.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #648
Buck
United_States

Quote:
I realized something this morning. As I watched our dogs( we have Malamutes and Chijuajuas) feeding and in the process of feeding them we also feed the neighborhood birds- Cackles, Swifts, Doves and Pigeons. I don't mind feeding the other birds, but not those darn verminous, disease carrying Pigeons, but then I realized that even tho Doves are the Birds of Peace, they're more feral than the Pigeons, meaning the Pigoens are more evolved.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My idea of evolved is not changed: adapting to improve to survive.
My point about the Pigeon is that it has evolved to be domesticated more than the Dove.
Try looking at swine. Domestic hogs go feral very quickly if left to survive on their own morphing back to (all characteristics) being wild boar.

Last edited by Buck : 12-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #649
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Touche....Would you consider an art competition a sport?Ron
You mean like Judo? Yes, boxing? yes Karate? yes. Aikido? yes.
Then there's photo competitions, drawing competitons, painting competitions, craftmaking competitons (have you never been to a fair?). Then there's horseback riding, archery and just about every sport in the Olympics started out as an art.
How do you know the arts you mentioned aren't considered a sport in other parts of the world? I presume they are because of the human nature to compete. Anything that requires skill will eventually be a competition and hence, a sport. Btw, what makes a competiton a sport?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #650
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
You mean like Judo? Yes, boxing? yes Karate? yes. Aikido? yes.
Then there's photo competitions, drawing competitons, painting competitions, craftmaking competitons (have you never been to a fair?). Then there's horseback riding, archery and just about every sport in the Olympics started out as an art.
How do you know the arts you mentioned aren't considered a sport in other parts of the world? I presume they are because of the human nature to compete. Anything that requires skill will eventually be a competition and hence, a sport.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Gene. I would say that all sports involve competition but not all competitions are sports. I do not consider Aikido a sport.

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
Btw, what makes a competiton a sport?
To borrow a page from Justice Stewart, I can't define it but "I know it when I see it."

Ron

Closed Thread