Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-16-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Pregnancy Experience in Aikido

We found out about 1 1/2 weeks ago that my wife (and a nikyu for me) is pregnant.

The doctor prescribed no ukemi already.

What I would like to know is what other women who have gone through this wonderful life experience have done to continue their training, what they had to avoid, and if aikido made any impact upon their pregnancy?

BTW, I am absolutely excited!!!!!!!

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 02-16-2003, 06:38 AM   #2
joan
Dojo: Michigan Technological University
Congratulations!

I went through two pregnancies while training--would recommend no activities where the body gets too hot (no marathon ukemi sessions) or anything the body is not very used to already. And absolutely no atemi to the midsection, no breakfalls after the first couple of months. I had to stop after six months (too big to fit into my clothes, and my arms were too short), changed over to t'ai chi. My sensei commented that after I returned to training that my technique seemed to have improved.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Congratulations Mike!

I quit aikido upon learning I was pregnant; the rolling around just didn't seem "right" to me (I was nikkyu at that time too)and I was worried about injuring my baby. My ukemi was not as good as it should have been. I know of a woman who has trained sucessfully through two pregnancies, until her 8th month (and I think even into her 9th, just doing weapons practice). Your wife will be able to tell what is right for her, as the body has a way of telling you whether something is right or not. I did start training again 4 months after my son was born.

best,

Rachel
Old 02-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Bogeyman
Dojo: UW-La Crosse Aikido
Congrats Elle. A few years back we had a sankyu that was pregnant and she trained into at least her 8th month. She didn't do all of the warm up ukemi and certainly no break falls, of course, but she did do most technique. One other thing she did avoid was punches though. I will talk to the others at class today and see if they remember more. Unfortunately she stopped training about a year after the baby was born due to lack of free time.

E
Old 02-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Russ Qureshi
Congrats to you and your wife Michael! My teacher Tama, a yondan, had a child seven years ago at age 38. She continued to teach and train with above posted modifications until month 8. My wife April,a nidan, had our first last May at age 32. She tried a few classes after finding out the good news and felt she couldn't practise safely with what her body was going through. Unfamiliar to say the least! She returned to the dojo about three months after giving birth to Sasha, our son.

Hope it helps
Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
akiy

Congratulations, Mike! And to your wife as well.

One of our members at the dojo trained into her eighth month even taking ukemi. She asked people to punch her in the chest rather than stomach for tsuki, though. Otherwise, she worked a little bit more slowly than before but pretty consistently.

I seem to remember hearing that Pat Hendricks sensei was teaching up to the day (or the day before) her delivery.

I think, though, that this sort of thing depends from person to person. I think it's best your wife talks to her doctor about this sort of thing as her circumstance might be different than those of other people here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Congrats

We have a women in our club that trained until here 7th month without any problems. No high breakfalls or punching in the abdomen. She still trained very regularly.

On the otherhand, one should always do what feels right. If a pregnant women feels training is not right then she should trust her instincts. Nature often knows best itself.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 02-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #8
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Congratulations, Michael! Babies are cool... hope all goes well! Give your wife my best regards!

I have a question for the ladies on this one myself: Did being pregnant help you with working more from your center in exercising a technique? I should think it would and though it's kind of a silly question, I honestly am curious about this.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Congrats Mike, to you and your wife!

As for your question, John...
Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
Did being pregnant help you with working more from your center in exercising a technique?
Although I myself have not yet had the experience of being pregnant, I seem to recall once reading an article that mentioned how a woman's centre of gravity shifts considerably during fetal growth and makes one's posture weaker, so techniques that rely heavily on using one's hara become stressful on the lower back.

(Hoping some other women will speak to this too...)
Old 03-02-2003, 11:04 AM   #10
KaitlinCostello

United_States
Congrats Mike,

The experience of bringing a child into the world is unique and to be cherished. I myself have never carried a child, however I have gone through all the ups and downs with my "blood" sister. (My god son is just turning 1-- we've both been there for him since day one, as his realy father isn't in the picture)

One thing I havn't seen brought into this thread is the issue of joints. As a womans pregnancy progresses her hormones gradually relax her joints. This could be a major issue with any technique that puts pressure on her joints. As with all things your wife will want to talk to her physician about any pre-existing conditions which could play a bigger rule in her pregnancy. I cannot stress enough about keeping hydrated and keeping one's blood pressure at a safe level( this rises during pregnancy making physical activities iffy for some women). I letterally had to carry dear Sissy to the car because she had overexerted her self ( not an easy task with someone a foot or so taller then me!).

IMHO given that a women is in average physical shape, she can practice Aikdo up until the last month of pregnancy. No ukemi or atemi to her belly, but she is still practising, to the level where she and baby are comfortable.

Once again, I wish you all the best in the coming months and please do not hesitate to email me with questions or concerns-- we're all nurses and midwives in my family

Regards,

Kate

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~