Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
outrageous

This is just outrageous. I tried calling Mr. Seagal to ask him to correct whoever the poster it but I had a bad phone number for him. Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal? In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 when Mr. Segal was in Junior high I believe. In fact Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959 I think that was about the time Mr. Segal was born.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9520

Last edited by Dennis Hooker : 11-20-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: outrageous

Onegaishimasu. Outrageous things happen. The Buddha taught that there are three things you can count on coming through: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Sorry Sensei Hooker I don't want to sign up just to post... However Takahashi Shihan can easily be reached...

Here's his current website and contact info.

http://www.aikidoacademyusa.com/

William Hazen
Old 11-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
This is just outrageous. I tried calling Mr. Seagal to ask him to correct whoever the poster it but I had a bad phone number for him. Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal? In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 when Mr. Segal was in Junior high I believe. In fact Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959 I think that was about the time Mr. Segal was born.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9520
Dennis:

Don't you know that all of have been influenced by Mr. Segal and are therefore "students" of his? For me, it was kind of like Salmonella poisoning... .... .... .... .... .

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Outrageous is right!

The post is two and a half years old, on an unofficial/unauthorized website, Mr.Takahashi does not really seem concerned...So, let's get the LAWMAN to hunt down this evil-doer and right this injustice!

(Dialing 9...1...6...err..3....ummm..9) Oops, wrong number...
Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Dennis Hooker

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Outrageous is right!

The post is two and a half years old, on an unofficial/unauthorized website, Mr.Takahashi does not really seem concerned...So, let's get the LAWMAN to hunt down this evil-doer and right this injustice!

(Dialing 9...1...6...err..3....ummm..9) Oops, wrong number...
I don't see the relevance in the two year thing, wrong is wrong. I have seen at least one of the efforts Mr. Segal has gone to, to right wrongs done in his name, at leas one act I consider criminal done in his name. In my opinion he was quite justified in his actions. His is considerate of his rep even if many folks are not. Mr. Takahashi is a gentleman and part of the beginning of the history of Aikido in the U.S. He is due his respect also. I am a student of Saotome Shihan and an Aikidoka of 45 years in total and the only way I can see any oversight on wrongs on the monster called the internet to have people involved in certain interests try and police the bull shit themselves.

As for the phone number reference I don't get it.

Dennis Hooker
www.shindai.com

www.shindai.com
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
mickeygelum

United_States

Mr. Hooker,

I believe you are over-reacting to an issue that is a common day occurrence.

Most know that the post is erroneous and false, and are chuckling about it. I am sure Mr. Takahashi, who is quite capable of speaking for himself, may have evoked a small chuckle upon reading the post, even in fact if he did at all.

Sir, to demand internet policing, is like trying to halt a rainstorm, it is never going to happen.

Congratulations, for your years of dedication to Budo, I hope you realize many more.

Train well,

Mickey
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
MM
United_States

Hi Mickey,

I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis Hooker at the last Aikiweb seminar. So I know he doesn't need anyone helping him.

Instead, I'll just say I think he's right to ask for it to be changed. There has been enough "altering" of the facts in the history of Aikido that we should be standing up to have the right information out there. Where would we be if not for people like Stan Pranin, who I'm sure took quite a bit of flack when he started digging into Ueshiba's past training in Daito ryu. I'm sure that was like trying to halt a rainstorm ... but he did.

Where would we be without Peter Goldsbury and his TIE columns here? He's presenting Ueshiba in a manner not yet done, some of which doesn't go along with many "myths" and "legends". Again, he's trying to halt a rainstorm and I think he's doing it.

Ellis Amdur is another. A couple more but I won't mention their names.

If it were in my capabilities, I'd help Dennis out. But, I'm far removed from that part of the aikido world. The closest I get to Seagal is watching one of his movies.

But, I wouldn't downplay what Dennis is trying to do.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
MM
United_States

Edit time ran out. I meant, "So I know he doesn't need anyone helping him debate the merits of his actions."
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Instead, I'll just say I think he's right to ask for it to be changed.
Would you be willing to acknowledge that he's asking the wrong people? i.e., us?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
mickeygelum

United_States

Grettings Mark,

I am not debating or assisting Mr. hooker at all. Honestly, I can not understand the reasoning behind starting the thread here on Aikiweb.

Why would he not just go to the original poster, on the other forum and deal with him directly...no better way to resolve a situation than at it's source.

Just my opinion,

Mickey
Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
MM
United_States

Mary and Mickey,

Considering that Aikiweb has, what, 12,000 members, I'd say it's a good place to ask for information or help. It is part of the reason Aikiweb is here, right? I know I keep getting surprised at finding out some of the people who lurk and read here. While I nor you (Mary, Mickey) may be able to help, that still leaves about 11,997 other people. Which in fact, is what's being asked...

Quote:
Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal?
I don't see why it isn't a valid thread, question, or topic.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
mickeygelum

United_States

Hi Mark,

You are absolutely correct, assistance should be requested when the situation requires it to be rendered.

I do not see that the other courses of action to resolve this have even been initiated or considered.

I have never subscribed to a mob mentality, therefore, the first and most reasonable course of action would be to address the original poster, on his forum. Inform the original poster of the discrepancy of his information, and provide the verifiable information. I would see that as the proper way to have reconciled this, but that is my opinion.

Train well,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeygelum : 11-23-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Mind moves faster than fingers
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Honestly, I can not understand the reasoning behind starting the thread here on Aikiweb.

Why would he not just go to the original poster, on the other forum and deal with him directly...no better way to resolve a situation than at it's source.

Just my opinion,

Mickey
Some thoughts:
Do you know he didn't?
Why not post it to Aikiweb? I mean, if this forum is a place to discuss information on Aikido, why not also discuss cases of misinformation and put it to a large community, some of which might even know the guy/gal?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
mickeygelum

United_States

Mr. Gano,

The last post is dated today and is uncannily similar to the original post here...to answer your question, I can not.

But, If one was so infuriated for the "erroneous" information, you think one would not hide behind a nomme de plume. Thus one's lineage, as it is of so much value here, instead of actually skill, would be more credible.

After all the chest puffing is finished , it comes down to one thing...it does not matter.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate honesty.

Train well,

Mickey
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Mary and Mickey,

Considering that Aikiweb has, what, 12,000 members, I'd say it's a good place to ask for information or help. It is part of the reason Aikiweb is here, right?
No, not really -- not to help with that kind of request. I don't think that Aikiweb, or the internet in general, exists to perform tasks for people that they can (and should) do themselves. It's like some stranger walked up to you on the street and said, "Hey, there's a bunch of broken glass three blocks over!" And when you say, "Oh. That's too bad" (or don't say anything), they say, "Well, aren't you going to go sweep it up?"
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Hi Mickey,
Quote:
The last post is dated today and is uncannily similar to the original post here...
I'm sorry, but I seem to be missing something. Would you be willing to reiterate this for me?

Quote:
But, If one was so infuriated for the "erroneous" information, you think one would not hide behind a nomme de plume. Thus one's lineage, as it is of so much value here, instead of actually skill, would be more credible.
But who is infuriated and hiding behind a psuedonym?

Quote:
After all the chest puffing is finished , it comes down to one thing...it does not matter.
I agree it's not that big of a deal, but I also agree with the idea that it might be useful to put it to a fairly large community...and since posting on aikiweb is so easy to do...why not give it a try and see if it works? I don't see it as a big deal in either direction. Also, unless we know Mr. Hooker didn't try to contact the misinformed person, assuming otherwise seems presumptive to me.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate honesty.
Up until now I didn't feel like I was sharing much of my thinking (but I've been wrong on that one before too )...just asking a couple questions I thought might help, but now I feel like I'm probably just muddying things up. Sorry for that.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Dennis Hooker

Where did all this hostility come from? As for using Aikiweb, just about everyone in the US that does Aikido or is interested in aikido knows about the web and the connection between folks is quite extensive. I have been here from the beginning and have seen the influence it and its members have in the Aikido community. So posting here in the "General" posts was quite reasonable.

My very old friend Francis Tahahashi did think it was rather amusing if not a bit bewildering when he sent it to me. I did not find it amusing. Can't change an old dog you know,

By the way who used a false name and who was chest puffing? I don't get that at all.

As long as we communicate on the net please call me Dennis and not Mr. Hooker if that is OK with you guys.

Yes I believe this is just the place to post such a comment. You of course have your right to disagree and I respect that.

Dennis Hooker ( a funny name but that is my real name)
www.shindai.com

www.shindai.com
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

The discussion board referenced in the original post has this latest entry (http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...218#post200218)

Quote:
Francis Takahashi was a student before Segal was born
What an outrageous error. Do errors like this help anyone?
Francis Takahashi was most definitely not a student of Mr. Segal.
In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 -when Mr. Segal was in Junior high school believe.
In fact, Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959, about the time Mr. Segal was born.
Last edited by Glen Grey; 22-Nov-2009 at 10:32 AM.
This was posted by a user named "Glen Grey".
I hope this makes things clearer.. If not.. my apologies.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

I appreciate it when BS is called to my attention and, although I can not, I'm pretty sure that someone on aikiweb knows someone who can help fix this. I agree that aikiweb was a good place to make people aware of this.

I guess the proverb was right; the nail that sticks out really does get pounded down.

Thank you, Sensei Hooker.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. I would also like to extend thanks to Dennis Hooker sensei for bringing this outrageous post to the aikido community's attention. Communication and unity is pretty important, especially as the art of aikido gets assimilated into mainstream society.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -