Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2000, 08:13 AM   #1
Tetsutaka
WARNING: sex offender teaching aikido in N. Carolina (John Lamont, Myoshinkan Dojo)

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Houston Haynes. I am a nihon jujutsu instructor in Durham, NC. I am a member of the Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei, and while we are not directly affiliated with any aikido organization, our Kancho, Shoto Tanemura, holds menkyo kaiden in Daito ryu through the late Sato Kinbei. I of course have special respect for the legacy teachings of Ueshiba sensei. It is my hope that this letter does not come to you as a terrible intrusion.

I have a few questions to ask, but would like to present some background information first.

If you would, please look at this link: http://sbi.jus.state.nc.us/cgi-bin/h...ORSearchFrames

And search using the name JOHN LAMONT

Then go to this site a view the Instructor's description.
http://www.geocities.com/myoshinkan/

What you will not find in that site is that John Lamont is a convicted child sexual offender in the NC Sex Offender Registry. For general info on that, you must look here:

http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/show...6&pagenumber=1

I am in the process of making official inquiry into this matter, and would like input from the aikido community as what official recognition Mr. Lamont might have from a governing aikido body, and whether or not that recognition has been revoked or suspended within the governing body through which he has been affiliated.

Also, I would be interested in hearing your personal feelings about this matter.

Any comments you may wish to make would be gladly accepted, as these comments will be forwared to the various persons looking into this matter on my behalf. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send your responses via email. Letters of support are nice, but I am seeking actual hardcopy information on organizational letterhead.

Time is of the essence, as his parole realease hearing is forthcoming.

Thank you,
Houston Haynes
http://www.tetsutakadojo.com
Old 07-15-2000, 11:10 AM   #2
Nick
United_States
Perhaps he's taken the translation of "Art of Love" a bit too seriously, neh?

Sickos like that bring a bad name to all of us. But remember- for every bad instructor or sensei, there are usually 10 good ones.

Kanpai,

-Nick
Old 07-15-2000, 03:01 PM   #3
Tetsutaka
missing the point

Having him as an example to make you look better is NOT THE POINT.
Old 07-15-2000, 03:02 PM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Nick,

My goodness! Take a second look at what you write before you hit the send button.

If you think that the ratio is actually 10 to 1 ... we have all got lots of problems.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-15-2000, 03:55 PM   #5
Nick
United_States
I know, tetsutaka-san. it was a joke, and I apologize if I offended you. I know that that kind of behavior and crime is below human comptempt. I apologize again for offending you.

Chuck- how's 1,000,000 to one?

-Nick
Old 07-15-2000, 09:50 PM   #6
Uma
"Uma"
IP Hash: 943a3ba7
Anonymous User
Tetsutaka;

I have met this man at a seminar 10 years ago.

All that I can say it comment to the thread you posted
is that it saddens me greatly .

IMHO, he was the best aikido technician I have ever trained with.
A pity that his life skills had apparently not matured to the same degree.

Sadly

UMA

Old 07-16-2000, 03:09 AM   #7
dbgard
Dojo: FSU Aikido Club
Lightbulb a little more than a name would be helpful

Mr. Jiujutsuka 8),

You should take a picture of the offender and include it in a follow up email. Names can be changed rather easily in this country, and not too many people would like to follow your chase of links simply to find some perverted freak. If he really is a sex offender, as you say, then he can't sue you I don't think...but contact a lawyer first. There's my twopence.

Drew

hara-kiri for the fear-mongers,
sushi-waza for the peace-makers.

--The great dream shared among my friends--

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no
Old 07-16-2000, 05:05 AM   #8
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Drew,
I disagree.. His photo is available on the Sex Offenders Register, and anyone with a possibility of coming into contact with him (or an interest in ensuring he doesn't get a chance to repeat his crime, if at all possible)won't have a problem with looking him up there..
Also I doubt very much he'd be able to change his name - and if he did the entry on the Register would be amended (under both old and new names I imagine).

As far as posting the photo, it's probably a breach of copyright, or privacy, or some legal rubbish...

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 07-16-2000, 08:09 AM   #9
Keith
Dojo: Susquehanna Aikido
I'm highly disturbed to see that Lamont is still teaching,and worse, still claiming to be recognized by the Aikido Association of America. Some background: I'm affiliated with the AAA, and this happened just before I joned. I heard a lot of second hand info, but wasn't there for any of it, so there may be some inaccuracies, but the general picture should be correct. Lamont was a high ranking instructor with the AAA, I believe head of the Eastern Region or something similar (one of those details I don't quite have right). Close to ten years ago, he was arrested for having sex with a minor; worse, one of his students. The info from the NC sex offender page is:
Conviction Date: 08-02-1994
Release Date: 02-04-1997
NC Statute: 14-202.1 - INDECENT LIBERTY MINOR
Sentence Imposed: CONFINEMENT: 008Y

He was promptly ejected from the AAA. ATM published a notice concerning his arrest, over which there was quite a stir. I notice on the dojo web page that there are no children's classes listed, quite a relief.

So there's my two cents, any one who feels they can provide corrections or clarification, please do so.

Keith Engle

Old 07-16-2000, 08:53 AM   #10
Tetsutaka
Ask and ye shall receive

Old 07-17-2000, 10:06 AM   #11
BC
Very disturbing...

In his website, he states that he is "recognized by the Ki Society, the World Aikido Federation Hombu Dojo and the American Aikido Association." Perhaps these organizations should be contacted regarding this claim. I doubt very much that they would want to be associated with this kind of person. IMHO.

-BC
Old 07-18-2000, 10:21 AM   #12
Nick
United_States
I agree. I doubt any organization would want to take responsibility for him...

A shame that such a con artist can go (until now) unnoticed...

-Nick
Old 07-28-2000, 06:18 AM   #13
Pete Nappier
Dojo: Lincolnton Aikido & Foothills Budokan
Unhappy

tetsuka san ... let GO!
Old 07-29-2000, 08:54 PM   #14
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Quote:
Pete Nappier wrote:
tetsuka san ... let GO!
Pete, how do you justify that statement?

May the force be with you!
AikiTom
"Be the change you want to see."