Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2000, 03:45 AM   #1
nomad
Cool

Hello im new here I just started Aikido last week and it was great I loved it the people, the Sensi were great friendly my question whats the best way to cure very sore limbs (due to this being the first excerise in along time)is it a case of just keep streching and it gets better or do things like tiger balm really work
Old 08-10-2000, 05:45 AM   #2
Keith_S
Dojo: Chaucer College, Canterbury
Cool

My teacher told has told me two things of relevance here.

When I first started Aikido he told me "Welcome to a life of Pain". I suppose he was right.

A few years later, when discussing the discomfort of sitting in seiza for a long time we were told. "The pain won't go away, what you will end up doing is changing your relationship with the pain."

I've paraphrased a bit, but he was right. Sitting in Seiza is still painfull but it's a nice pain and I don't fight it anymore.

For the rest, eventually (in a few days or weeks or months) Aikido will become less painfull or even positively pleasant. You won't notice the change, but one day you'll suddenly stop and think, "Hey, didn't this used to hurt?".
Old 08-10-2000, 05:49 AM   #3
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of Aikido!!

I too am a relative newbie (4.5 months now!)who had done almost no real exercise and my instructors recommended a hot bath after the lesson to help warm the muscles and loosen them again.

Good thing is though, that the more you practice the less the aches get you!!

I think after 3 or 4 weeks my aches didn't seem noticeable the day or so after!!

Pete

Old 08-10-2000, 06:40 AM   #4
chillzATL
United_States
Either stretch out good the night after class and the next morning or do some other exercise the next day to get the blood flowing. The aches and pains will pass soon enough though. Welcome, glad to hear you are enjoying it so far.
Old 08-10-2000, 09:39 AM   #5
Nick
United_States
I think the pain also comes more with surprise. The first time my sensei did nikyo on me (I think my second or third class) I could barely see straight. I also think this surprise is helpful in a fight. Someone throws a punch at Little Joe Aikidoka, they expect it to be blocked and countered, in which they can counter. Few attackers expect being thrown off balance and slammed to the ground (or given a nikyo, ude-osae, or something equally unpleasent).

-Nick
Old 08-10-2000, 09:39 AM   #6
Nick
United_States
I think the pain also comes more with surprise. The first time my sensei did nikyo on me (I think my second or third class) I could barely see straight. I also think this surprise is helpful in a fight. Someone throws a punch at Little Joe Aikidoka, they expect it to be blocked and countered, in which they can counter. Few attackers expect being thrown off balance and slammed to the ground (or given a nikyo, ude-osae, or something equally unpleasent).

"Aikido is non-resistance. As it does not resist, it is always victorious."

-Nick
Old 08-10-2000, 12:38 PM   #7
akiy

Quote:
chillzATL wrote:
Either stretch out good the night after class and the next morning or do some other exercise the next day to get the blood flowing.
Stretching for a while (five to ten minutes) right after training while you're still warmed up helps quite a bit -- moreso than stretching when you get home, I believe...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-11-2000, 05:02 AM   #8
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
Smile just don't overdo it

I agree with the others that stretching helps in minimizing the pain during practice, just one piece of advice: don't overdo your stretches, I've seen people who tried to push their bodies to the limit and they end up pulling a muscle, twisting/over-rotating something, etc.

Always exercise caution.

-Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 08-15-2000, 05:46 AM   #9
Max Factor
Dojo: Chatham Aikido unarmed combat club
Ki Symbol pain

I my three years i have yet to see pain go away but one thing i have seen is pain help people get better.

pain come in 3 waves
1.new pain
2.pain threshold
3.learning pain

1. new pain
this is were your body learns about the new pain of locks throughs etc..

2. pain threshold
as you become more adapted to the pain you find out just how much you body is willing to take..

3. learning pain
if it hurts somthing went wrong
and you fix it.

if anyone has more to add to any of these please feel free i would like to know thoughts???

Nate