Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
caduceus
Ai symbol How to do this type of Ushiro Ukemi?

Hello!

Through the time I've been learning aikido, I observed my fellow aikidoka's ukemi and through various demonstration that there is seemingly a "new" type of ushiro ukemi that is not widely taught, learned or known, or at least this is true in the country I'm practicing in. I can identify three types of ushiro ukemi - the first is probably the oldest which is the reverse of mae ukemi, second is when you bent down one of your leg and make a v-shape with your two legs, the third and last which is the one I identify as "new" is sort of an "advanced" and more "dynamic" version of the second version of ushiro ukemi. I have added youtube videos incase my explanation if confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6evzp9iEM (2:10, they call it yoko ukemi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fftNELuJ9-w (1:34 Tada's uke performing the "advanced" ushiro ukemi)

The major difference I can identify comparing this ukemi to the 2nd ukemi is that you don't bend down one leg when initiating the ukemi, but you keep that leg straight and push backwards with that leg(correct me if I'm wrong) and therefore there is more momentum and "dynamic". I find that the advantage of this type of ukemi it that in situations when nage executes the technique "strongly", the force can be absorbed and used in propelling the ukemi instead of a receiving a strong impact when you bent on leg such as in the 2nd ukemi i explained. Both create a v-shape with your legs, but one seem more fluid and soft, as well as I see many are able to return to a standing position after the execution of the ukemi.

One fellow aikidoka in my dojo is able to perform this type of ukemi very well, he sort of pioneered this type of ukemi into our dojo, and many are trying to imitate and learn this kind of ukemi. I noticed this type of ukemi is quite popular in USAF videos i watch in youtube, such as yamada's and donovan sensei's ukes. It seemingly is also used and taught in japan as well, as when I was praciticng in hombu dojo some sensei's would try to teach this in beginner class. I observed alot of ukes used in aikido demonstration also uses this especially in the IAF.

I'm very passionate in learning this ukemi! personally i find it very elegant and beautiful :P and I would like to seek training advices regarding this ukemi. Like i mentioned, this ukemi is not too technically understood in my dojo so It is hard for us to learn it other then trial and error. If anyone is willing to give advices regarding this version of ushiro ukemi, i would greatly appreciate it

Many thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Re: How to do this type of Ushiro Ukemi?

A fellow blackbelt at my dojo introduced this ukemi to us. Stand with your feet side by side. Now start to bend backwards like you want to do the limbo. Slightly twist your shoulders to the right. Now look at the mat behind you over the right shoulder. Slowly tilt your body to the back right corner, you should raise your left as you do this. Let gravity pull you down. Let the mat rolll up you right arm to the shoulder, cross over to the left shoulder then down the left arm.

To make it dynamic, don't let gravity pull you down to the back right corner. Instead push off of your right foot.. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

It's just a forward roll with your feet backwards. If you can do a good forward roll, you should be able to do it. It's handy for when people do a strong tenchi-nage for instance.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
It's just a forward roll with your feet backwards. If you can do a good forward roll, you should be able to do it. It's handy for when people do a strong tenchi-nage for instance.
Yeah, this is what it looked like to me too if I'm looking at the right parts of the videos. I don't know that I'd think of it as a different kind of ukemi, more just learning to rotate quickly and smoothly into a forward roll. I'm curious though if that means the original poster's dojo doesn't do forward rolls? Because that would be very curious to me and I'd wonder how they handle forward projections (say kaitennage for example). Unless it's just the rotating entry to start off the roll that's unfamiliar.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
caduceus

Thanks guys for the replies! I think Mike got what I'm trying to say and I'll try to do what you wrote and hopefully with some positive results. Yeah, it looks very similar to a forward roll but actually it's quite very different!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Raymond Chin wrote: View Post
Thanks guys for the replies! I think Mike got what I'm trying to say and I'll try to do what you wrote and hopefully with some positive results. Yeah, it looks very similar to a forward roll but actually it's quite very different!
In what way is it very different? Because in the videos (and for that matter, in Mike's description, although he describes rolling rather high up on the back with less of a diagonal than usual) it looks like one of those funny forward rolls people often do from, e.g., tenshinage or something where you can twist your upper body enough to start rolling even though your lower body is still pointing the 'wrong' way.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 01-15-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Raymond Chin wrote: View Post
Here, I try to demonstrate the difference between what you are talking about and a forward roll. Am I correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4RTO...ature=youtu.be

The reason I raise and tap my leg is to show which leg your weight should be on as you start the roll.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

I've done that kind of ukemi, just for fun - for me it's a completely normal forward roll. Just starting the wrong way around

Actually, I dont think you could (/should) substitute that for ushiro ukemi in most of the techniques. It mostly feels to me like turning out of the throw and losing contact... (but then I don't like forward rolls from tenchi nage/sukkumen iriminage etc. for exactly that reason and I'm aware that a lot of people like doing them).

Anyway, it's definitely not a new version of ushiro ukemi, if anything, it's a version of mae ukemi.