Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Esaemann
Agatsu thought

I was watching the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader tryouts (don't ask, its on CMT for you guys who are interested), and had a thought. Some of the women who weren't chosen were visibly upset. Since I couldn't read their minds, I couldn't know if this is the case, but it got me to thinking.

First (subjectively), allowing the subjective views of other people to keep me from meeting goals means my goals are out of whack. Aikido is great for this, because this only happens if I'm hard on myself. Nobody else can keep me from my goals (e.g. judging a competition). However, as I get further along in my training (and in life), I worry much less about making mistakes and just try to go on.

Second (objectively), no competition in Aikido also seems to eliminate the issue. Why should I be required to best another person in order to meet my goals? For example, if I want my Aikido to be as easy/fluid as Sensei, I don't have to beat him so to speak.

Understand, I'm not downplaying competition as it can be fun, but that's exactly what I'd rather it be. Unless its a life/death struggle, I can't see getting too excited or depressed about winning or losing even if I haven't done my best. Maybe I'm just lazy.

O.k. now those who are into competition can shoot me down.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
gregg block

United_States
Re: Agatsu thought

One definition of competition is "A test of skill or ability" so in this sense not only is competition in all martial arts dojo's, but it is an important part! There is nothing wrong with competition itself. It is when it is taken to extremes that it becomes undesirable. However, when it comes to these extremes it stops being competition and becomes more of an ego trip.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Agatsu thought

Quote:
Eric Saemann wrote: View Post
I was watching the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader tryouts

Quote:
First (subjectively), allowing the subjective views of other people to keep me from meeting goals means my goals are out of whack. Aikido is great for this, because this only happens if I'm hard on myself. Nobody else can keep me from my goals (e.g. judging a competition). However, as I get further along in my training (and in life), I worry much less about making mistakes and just try to go on.

Second (objectively), no competition in Aikido also seems to eliminate the issue. Why should I be required to best another person in order to meet my goals? For example, if I want my Aikido to be as easy/fluid as Sensei, I don't have to beat him so to speak.

Understand, I'm not downplaying competition as it can be fun, but that's exactly what I'd rather it be. Unless its a life/death struggle, I can't see getting too excited or depressed about winning or losing even if I haven't done my best. Maybe I'm just lazy.
Yeah, I love competition...to one degree or another, I always have. Few things are as fun as paying chess and talking some serious trash while doing it, but it depends upon who I'm playing with...context. I think the same thing goes for competition in Aikido or with the self; whatever. Even in competing only with yourself, a person can take it too far.
When it comes to doing your best, i agree, other people have nothing to do with it. Competition with others isn't required to do ones best and for some it can be a pitfall where they have little or no measure of themselves unless they're comparing themselves to others. It's these kinds of distractions from simply doing our best that I think the famous saying addresses. This doesn't mean competition is worthless' indeed it can be a fun game which includes bettering yourself! Anyone for a game of chess?

Gambarimashyo!