Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #51
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Re: Aikido Urban Legends, Stories, and Myths

Back in Britain the (Pythonesque) stories go something like this:

A. In my day...Chiba/Abbe Sensei would make us do 1,000 press ups on broken glass then tear our arms off and hit us with the wet ends.

B. That was nothing, my sensei would make us do 10, 000 press ups on our wrists, then crack our skulls with bokken and use our brains for sushi.

A. You were lucky! Sensei would kill us before we got in the dojo (which was a shoe box in a cess pit) with rusty katana, resurrect us with 100, 000 press ups, then kill us again by shihonageing our intestines...

B. Intestines. Luxury...we dreamed of being shihonaged by intestines, our sensei used our testicles...etc

A. And kids today don't believe us!

B. Aye.

Disclaimer: Many of the stories told my senior British Sensei are absolutely true, and just because I'm 4000 miles away doesn't mean I'm taking the mickey
Old 07-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #52
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Can't remember where I read these, but:

*) O'Sensei was once asked about "ninja" and their ability to move invisibly. O'Sensei smiled and explained that they were not invisible, but just moving very quickly and that he knew how to do it. When asked to demonstrate, he accepted... and seemed to instantly appear across the room at the door. He opened the door, smiled and said," I can be done, but it seems that each time you do this... it takes one year of your life away, so I do not use it often." Then he walked through the door and left.

*) Another O'Sensei story I have heard was from the book "Aikido Shugyo" written by Gozo Shioda Shihan. He described being an uchideshi in the home of O'Sensei. The students slept in the main room where O'Sensei had a kamiza to the "spirits" or "gods" of Aiki were enshrined. One night while sound asleep, a loud "KIAI!" was let out and all the students popped up to their feet with one turning on the lights. There at the kamiza was O'Sensei holding a bokken... and on the floor was a dead rat that appeared to have been eating the offering O'Sensei had left at the alter.

"How could you sleep and not know of this violation of the offering? I had to be awoken by the spirits and was told "Your offering is being taken by a rat." and that was happening under your very noses!"

O'Sensei was furious... the students were in shock. Needless to say, I'm sure they got busy cleaning up the mess.

*) Final Myth: Grandfather's who practice aikido are said to have the most lethal and deadly "Atemi-waza" of all aikidoka. Lan knows...

Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #53
Tubig
Australia

Apparently rolling a jo up and down down the forearm can toughen it and will make it immune to yonkyo.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #54
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
Apparently rolling a jo up and down down the forearm can toughen it and will make it immune to yonkyo.
Ooo...I'll have to tell my students this

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 08-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #55
Simbo
United_States

Quote:
Eric Hutton wrote:
1. An aikido student was driving a motorcycle when he was struck head-on by a car. His body was thrown over the car and he performed a ukemi on the pavement and thus escaped injury.
I actually did something like this once. Just no car and it was probably less than 10mph. But I came out 99% uninjured, but I did rip my glove So it can be done