Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #26
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: What Is Love, Aikido Style

Onegaishimasu. Enlightenment is the wish to communicate. Babies do it; all of Nature does it. Morihei Ueshiba O Sensei did it too.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #27
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Momentary thread revival ( i found an excerpt online. thusly inspired.....)

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Yea, me and about everyone one else in the world who is looking for it .
An most people :
Look for their cellphones while they're talking on them
Search for their car keys while they are in hand.
Panic because they can't find their sunglasses while they are sitting right on top of their head.

The point is, stop looking and you will discover that you already have it.

Best,
js

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 02-28-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: noun verb agreement

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Momentary thread revival ( i found an excerpt online. thusly inspired.....)

An most people :
Look for their cellphones while they're talking on them
Search for their car keys while they are in hand.
Panic because they can't find their sunglasses while they are sitting right on top of their head.

The point is, stop looking and you will discover that you already have it.

Best,
js
There's that Hidden in Plain Sight thing again! It's amazing to me how much in this world seems so deceptively simple. If we can just get past the whirring of our own minds we might get to simply enjoy it unpeturbed.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #29
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
There's that Hidden in Plain Sight thing again! It's amazing to me how much in this world seems so deceptively simple. If we can just get past the whirring of our own minds we might get to simply enjoy it unpeturbed.
Yeah, huh .

In between the hidden and the manifest is the divine. Or so I've heard.
Now, where are those keys?

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #30
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Is that like saying, "if it ain't simple, it simply ain't?"
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #31
Buck
United_States

What I was getting at when I started this discussion was to look at what influenced the concept of love and where did it come from. What Japanese stuff O'Sensei took from to say that word and where did it come from. What type of love is it? But since that is a mountain of stuff to write here, I decided to take sum it up on the subject. Thinking all those details are not needed to get my point understood.

O'Sensei was greatly effected by war, and from it it changed his views on life from taking it to protecting it. Not an uncommon view of those who have seen war and it destruction of life. His new attitude like many others he wanted to share it. But I don't think O'Sensei understood how to get that message across the best way for other languages.

The word love, I believe is a poor translated word choice. Because it has too many meanings and definitions behind it. Compound that with that the idea behind the word love is coming from the language of Aikido. A language that borrows and is in the context of many different languages combined. Such as, Japanese, Budo, Omoto, Shinto and other things. All of them make up the Aikido language he created to communicate the ideas for Aikido. A very intentionally complex and abstract language indeed even for the Japanese. Even more difficult to understand with all the different meanings and definitions attached to the word love in all the other languages.

Though we have so many meanings for love in the west it is hard to figure which really applies. We know (or at least we hope) that we know it isn't the same as the type of love isn't romantic, or the affectionate kind. Or emotional state of being in, or other such things.

A better word to use for at least the English language instead of love, to get that view point that O'Sensei had,imo, is mercy, compassion, and conflict resolution. As awkward as it is, these combination of words are more precise and accurate to the experience and meaning of O'Sensei.

As difficult as the language of Aikido is in Japanese and even more when translated, it is not up to us to give our own meaning and definition to the word love in the context of Aikido. It is an injustice and stuff to Aikido and the message of O'Sensei. It is up to us to put the mental effort into bridge that translation gap rather that making O'Sensei's words fit the way we want them too so that they reflect our personal philosophy. When we do that stuff, it is a great disservice to the thing we love.

Last edited by Buck : 03-07-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #32
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Is that like saying, "if it ain't simple, it simply ain't?"
yes.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
Buck
United_States

Let me provide more information on what I mean my mercy, as it is my favorite definition as devilish as it is.

MERCY, n. An attribute beloved of detected offenders.