Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
GShorr
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Israel
Israel
A demonstration of Master Chida Tsutomu from 1992

What do you think?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States
Re: A demonstration of Master Chida Tsutomu from 1992

......and the Oscar goes to.......Uke! A little, ok a lot, over the top for my tastes. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the Yoshinkan "Mr. Roboto" approach to most of their techniques. You can get kicked as hard as possible by a grown man and not fly around that much. LOL!!! What is being shown here is beyond ridiculous. Quite frankly, this is what gives Aikido a bad name and makes people think that it's nothing more than an absurd dance of some sort. Almost without exception, the harder/stronger the technique looks, the weaker it truly is. To put it into musical terms, his demo was all staccato and no lagato. In other words, not very Aiki if you ask me, which you did.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Karl Arant wrote: View Post
......and the Oscar goes to.......Uke! A little, ok a lot, over the top for my tastes. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the Yoshinkan "Mr. Roboto" approach to most of their techniques. You can get kicked as hard as possible by a grown man and not fly around that much. LOL!!! What is being shown here is beyond ridiculous. Quite frankly, this is what gives Aikido a bad name and makes people think that it's nothing more than an absurd dance of some sort. Almost without exception, the harder/stronger the technique looks, the weaker it truly is. To put it into musical terms, his demo was all staccato and no lagato. In other words, not very Aiki if you ask me, which you did.
Interesting response. When I watched this, it seemed to me that people would decry it as being too muscular or "jujutsuish" or "external". THIS is certainly not the stuff that gives Aikido a bad name.

FWIW it certainly looks like Chida is actually doing the throws here. Ukes are all participating but i really don't see them throwing themselves nearly as much as an Aikikai hombu uke would be.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
The demo looked OK to me, especially the tachi-waza section. Good technical aikido, and not too stiff even by Yoshinkan standards. Although this is not my preferred approach to aikido, I agree this is hardly the kind of demo that gives aikido a bad name.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

[quote=Karl Arant;336582]......and the Oscar goes to.......Uke! A little, ok a lot, over the top for my tastes. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the Yoshinkan "Mr. Roboto" approach to most of their techniques. You can get kicked as hard as possible by a grown man and not fly around that much. LOL!!! What is being shown here is beyond ridiculous. Quite frankly, this is what gives Aikido a bad name and makes people think that it's nothing more than an absurd dance of some sort. Almost without exception, the harder/stronger the technique looks, the weaker it truly is.t that's interesting: When I first got to Japan in 1988,I was on the train heading to the dojo for one of my first aikido keiko ; an older gent noticed my folded up keikogiand asked which martial art I was studying I told himAikid then, in very good English , he told me, "Japanese martial arts are very interesting":"many times if it looks real, it's fake and many times if it looks fake, it's real" the gentleman's astute observation has stuck with me and proven to be true on a couple occasions

Last edited by SteveTrinkle : 04-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Ian@Renshinkai
Dojo: Renshinkai Honbu Dojo
Japan

Thanks for posting this!
It's hard to find video of Chida Sensei from that long ago.

I'd also like to add that, whatever people's opinions may be of technique, these ukes are definitely not throwing themselves. Anyone who's been thrown by Chida Sensei can attest to that.
His technique is very soft but very powerful, and he really does use uke's power against them so the harder they go the harder they get thrown. That's why they are "flying around that much", because they're going hard.

It's a demonstration and I think the ukes did a great job.
Hats off to them!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I am actually very impressed with this demonstration. It appears to be Yoshinkan aikido at its best. If you want to know how it felt to the Ukes, the OP was one of the ukes in the demonstration, so why not ask him?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

Must say I found this to be a very interesting demonstration. Not really the robotic Yoshinkan I sometimes see just very stable Nage and commitment from Uke's. There are a lot of demos out there giving Aikido a bad name, Can't see this is one of them.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
dps

Quote:
Do you have a video of yourself or your Sensei that we can see how it should be done?

dps
Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Do you have a video of yourself or your Sensei that we can see how it should be done?

dps
I think this is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSjZRMsTdnY

At about 2 min. mark some footage of the main teacher

Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post

Nice dojo!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Nice dojo!
Good light too.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
NagaBaba

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post

Oooooo...magic aikido lol I mean the ukes magically fall down by themselves

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
NagaBaba

Quote:
No, you are wrong. Chida sensei is quite solide and uke has to be soft to preserve his own integrity. You simply don't have good level of trainning to see the obvious true.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #15
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
...You can get kicked as hard as possible by a grown man and not fly around that much.
As NagaBaba pointed out, uke has to be soft to preserve his own integrity. Consider this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIJDj7rPDoM

Another example of properly soft ukemi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtPGTuPzo1k

On the other hand the uke shouldn't have the luxury of unilaterally disengaging and hopping into a little roll just to satisfy a social contract.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
dps

Quote:
What do you think Karl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYFb..._qMdRvYSJfF_Vw

dps