Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2000, 01:50 PM   #1
Yayo
Dojo: Albuquerque Shin Budo Kai
In my dojo, we only use Kiais(sp) during certain Bokken Katas. We never use the while practicing Aikido techniques. Do other dojos utilize Kiais? I recently read a book that said that O Sensei frequently used powerful kiais that could be heard from a great distance. I am concerned that perhaps this is a part of Aikido that I am failing to utilize.
Old 11-03-2000, 02:44 PM   #2
jxa127
You should always use kiai...

Kiai is more than yelling. The way my sensei explains it is this: ai means harmony and ki means energy. Aiki is harmony with an attacker's energy -- kiai is the flip side of that: harmony with our own, internal energy. Thus, kiai consists of all parts of the body being unified and directed to one intent.

For example, we almost never turn our trunk without also movoing the hips and legs. We don't break our structure by hunching our sholders or bending at the back. Our who body's structure is tuned to the particular movement we're executing. This also, of course, involved breathing, and that is where the yell comes in.

It's long been known that a good, relaxed, powerful exhalation adds power to movement. The yell is just an audiable indication of good kiai (aligned body structure, focused intent, and good breathing). It's not the yell that's important, it's the things that make a good yell that really count. My instructor says the yell is just a good way from him to tell how well we're doing.

I hope this helps,

-Drew A.
Old 11-03-2000, 03:08 PM   #3
laughingboy
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
Talking Kiai for breaking monotony

We don't use kiai's (sp) at all in our Dojo. I do like to sometimes throw them in during practice. It's a good way to shake things up as it were. When I'm uke and the nage is concentrating and trying too hard, a good loud kiai will bring them back to Earth. Plus, it's funny .

-----
Alain Assaf
Old 11-04-2000, 07:30 PM   #4
Nick
United_States
kiai are best used when the attacker is not expecting it- so if you kiai every technique, not only will you strain your voice, but unless your kiai is very powerful, it will lose effect. It's quite useful with an atemi when unexpected (as my sensei have demonstrated on me).

Let me put it this way- what would your reaction be if a person came up and suddenly screamed in yor face? Now, what would your reaction be if you knew that person was going to do that as they approached you?

Many of the best things in life are used sparingly.

Peace,

Nick
Old 11-05-2000, 12:28 PM   #5
jxa127
You should always use kiai, you just don't have to yell...

Two points:

1) "kiai" does not equal "yell". (see my post above).

2) You should never strain your voice with a good yell. It comes from your belly, not your chest, and the throat should be relaxed. If you strain your throat during the yell, you are actually too tight and thus not using good kiai.

We don't yell with every technique either, but we strive to have kiai in all of our movements -- whether we yell or not.

-Drew
Old 11-05-2000, 04:24 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
Drew-

good point, however it might be argued if you can achieve this "internal" kiai, than a yell would be unnecessary...

Peace,

Nick
Old 11-05-2000, 08:04 PM   #7
jxa127
Nick,

You're right, the yell is not always needed. My instructor maintains that the yell served two purposes: (1) to help the instructor gauge his students kiai (body structure, mental intent, focus, etc.) and (2) it CAN be intimidating to one's enemies. :-)

I guess my sensei's point (and by proxy, mine) is that the yell is a by product of good kiai, not good kiai by itself.

-Drew