Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
torres.aikido

Dojo: Aikido School of Self Defense
United_States
Body Type and Spiritual Beliefs

Hello,

I am pondering two seperate questions.

One is what type of body type do you believe works best in Aikido. I remember when I was a kid I always though the bigger/heavier people had some sort of advantage but of course many great Aikido masters are very small.

Two is what seems to be the dominant spirutal belief system of the Japanese masters these days?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States
Re: Body Type and Spiritual Beliefs

sushism and beerism
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Disappointed; was looking forward to debunking the assertion implicit in thread title :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
sushism and beerism
You know that type of spiritual stuff is just not for one day a week; I keel and pay homage to both often
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
You know that type of spiritual stuff is just not for one day a week; I keel and pay homage to both often
kneel (if it was not for my typos, I be perfect )
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Keeling over might be construed or misconstrued as formal bowing or kowtowing, so even though you might be unconscious, you could still look like you're paying homage.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Keeling isn't too foreign to beerism. I've known many to keel over after practicing beerism. Most have bypassed kneeling in their devotions entirely.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Tim Torres wrote: View Post
One is what type of body type do you believe works best in Aikido.
A soft, smooth, connected and permeable body.

Quote:
Two is what seems to be the dominant spirutal belief system of the Japanese masters these days?
I have practiced with only one Japanese shihan. He is very interested in Taoism as far as I understand. Because Taoist body work is about getting a soft, smooth, connected and permeable body. And Taoist spirituality depends on developing such a body.
He is also doing zazen I think.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

Well, soft and smooth I've got. Connected, I will assume, since I dont have to pick up parts of me very often. Superglue. Permeable? Very very selectively. All sorts of stuff gain no entrance to my body.

Beer and sushi, their names are on the list.....

Short and fat atheist. Does that fit the expectations about the thread better, Janet? I sure remember some of our way back discussions of spirituality fondly. Your simple proof of why no god, if one existed at all, could be female still resonates and makes me smile.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Don't exactly understand why you ridicule my text?
Don't you understand it?
Don't you like it?
Did I push a button I didn't see?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
ryback

Well in my opinion it doesn't have to do with the body type you are born with (tall,short,big,small e.t.c.).It has to do more with the state of one's body ragardless of its type.
One needs to be relaxed,and smooth in order to be able to establish contact with the attacker and keep it,so i certainly agree with Carsten in that one.Usually smaller people have an advantage because they cannot rely on strength in the first place and they can learn correct technique more easily,while bigger people have first to "unlearn" using muscular strength in order for the ellements of correct technique(ki,kokyu,tai sabaki e.t.c) to be able to work.
For the second part of the original poster's question, i don't know really.But i have heard that O'Sensei, even though he belonged in Omoto Kyo himself,he used to say that this has no effect in learning the art of aikido...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
sushism and beerism
where is the pizzaism? body type - no thin crust!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Richard Stevens
United_States

Quote:
Tim Torres wrote: View Post
Hello,

One is what type of body type do you believe works best in Aikido.

Tim
Fit.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Cady Goldfield
United_States

To address the OP,
It seems to me that the idea of an art like Aikido, is that any body type can practice it successfully, and that being large or small doesn't necessarily mean you'll have advantages or disadvantages unless you're considering being competitive with others.

The real issue, IMO, is not what kind of a body type you start with, but what you do to forge and "re-create" the way in which it carries itself and moves. This is where the concept of a connected body comes in. "Connected" here is used in the sense of how everything in your body carries itself and moves as an integrated entity, in a unified process and not in a chain of sequential movements.

Pretty much any body type can learn to do this. Morihei Ueshiba started training and re-forging himself this way, under Sokaku Takeda's teaching, when he was young, muscular and strong, but was still able to create great power when he had a body that was old, skinny, sick and frail, because he had taught his body to move in a very specific way that differed from the conventional mechanics of human-body movement.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 12-12-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Keeling isn't too foreign to beerism. I've known many to keel over after practicing beerism. Most have bypassed kneeling in their devotions entirely.
Yes, keel may have been a bit of a fruedian slip on my part since keeling over can come into play as well - also, kneeling has multiple applications with beerism, as when overindulging you can very easily find yourself kneeling over the commode

Greg
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Don't exactly understand why you ridicule my text?
Don't you understand it?
Don't you like it?
Did I push a button I didn't see?
I'm going to assume you're talking to me.

I am not ridiculing your text, I am just taking it in a different direction than the one you expect as an attempt at mild humor. I am doing that because, frankly, no, I do not understand it. The specific words you use are actually pretty vague and/or oddly used. Soft and smooth is equally useful in describing a fat person as a flexible and graceful person. I am fat, so I played on those words. You seem to be using the term connected in a specific way to mean something I know little about, so I took the term literally. Same with permeable.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Short and fat atheist. Does that fit the expectations about the thread better, Janet? I sure remember some of our way back discussions of spirituality fondly. Your simple proof of why no god, if one existed at all, could be female still resonates and makes me smile.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I am not ridiculing your text, I am just taking it in a different direction than the one you expect as an attempt at mild humor.
I offered a view of the core of what I practice and teach. I f you don't understand or don't want to or don't need to, feel free to laugh at it.

I used words/terms, which are quite common, precise and meaningfull in my context of practice and teaching. As I said before: If you don't understand, feel free to laugh.

My central statement was that there indeed can be seen a relation between body type and spiritual beliefs.

Christianity often states a kind of duality, the body is like an antagonist of spiriutal matters. So ther is nearly no body work in Christianity.

Buddhism nearly neglects the body, seeing it as one root of illusion. So buddhist spirituality tries to leave the body behind and there are certain ways to vanquish or bear down the body.

In Taoism bodywork is the very first step towards spirituality. Building, developing the body is not only a prerequirement, it is even part of spirituality.
So I talked about a certain shihan who connects his way of bodywork to taoist views.
And once more: If you don't understand or don't like to: Please feel free to laugh at those thoughts.

Quote:
... so I took the term literally.
I take them literally too. Albeit the outcome is different.
To more and more understand that these terms are actually meant literally, I practice and teach in a certain way. I just work on what you laugh at.

Quote:
I am fat, so I played on those words.
Implicitly I changed the meaning of "body type" as the OP used it ( i.e. thick, thin, big, small ...) to types of organizing/moving/structuring the body.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 12-13-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #19
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
I offered a view of the core of what I practice and teach. I f you don't understand or don't want to or don't need to, feel free to laugh at it.

I used words/terms, which are quite common, precise and meaningfull in my context of practice and teaching. As I said before: If you don't understand, feel free to laugh.

My central statement was that there indeed can be seen a relation between body type and spiritual beliefs.

Christianity often states a kind of duality, the body is like an antagonist of spiriutal matters. So ther is nearly no body work in Christianity.

Buddhism nearly neglects the body, seeing it as one root of illusion. So buddhist spirituality tries to leave the body behind and there are certain ways to vanquish or bear down the body.

In Taoism bodywork is the very first step towards spirituality. Building, developing the body is not only a prerequirement, it is even part of spirituality.
So I talked about a certain shihan who connects his way of bodywork to taoist views.
And once more: If you don't understand or don't like to: Please feel free to laugh at those thoughts.

I take them literally too. Albeit the outcome is different.
To more and more understand that these terms are actually meant literally, I practice and teach in a certain way. I just work on what you laugh at.

Implicitly I changed the meaning of "body type" as the OP used it ( i.e. thick, thin, big, small ...) to types of organizing/moving/structuring the body.
Still, I am not laughing at your thoughts, training, dictionary, methods, or motivations. I do not know what those are, I dont need to know what those are. My post was a simple play on words.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Ok.
I'm known to lack any sense of humor at all, when it comes to aikidō ...
I am also known to be hypersensitive. Not only when it comes to aikidō ...
Which is not a good combination to communicate with persons who are a little bit more relaxed than I am ...

I hope you are still and will stay connected and permeable in that sense, you mentioned!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
NagaBaba

Quote:
I'm not sure it is a true.
Yoga practice precedes Buddhism, and was included in daily practice of very many Buddhists starting with Buddha himself

I'm talking here about a real Yoga practice (that includes very sophisticated spiritual concepts), not todays superficial substitute often found in our towns...

Also your remark about ‘a body as a one root of illusion’ - I disagree completely. It is my imperfect perception of the ‘higher’ reality that makes me believe that body (as part of all world around us) is somehow separate from ‘me’.
Particularly in early Buddhism, body training through Yoga practice was one of essential elements of spiritual development.
As a reference you may use “Indian philosophy” by S. Radhakrishnan who is an excellent reference for that matter.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post

Also your remark about ‘a body as a one root of illusion’ - I disagree completely. It is my imperfect perception of the ‘higher’ reality that makes me believe that body (as part of all world around us) is somehow separate from ‘me’.
It is not often that I agree with the bombastic one, but... What Szczepan said. The body shouldn't be neglected or seen in a negative light -- Just seen as it is. And like all creatures we need some degree of care, feeding, nurturing, ... How else did that Buddha guy end up with that gut? :P

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Actually I do often agree with the man... But I often laugh and grab popcorn when he posts. Gotta respect someone who is willing to share his completely unfiltered opinions.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:

The concept of "Tao" is found within Buddhist thought, and even powerfully embraced in aspects of certain sects, particularly Zen/Chan/Sun Buddhism. A number of martial disciplines, both old (the samurai) and contemporary (I Liq Chuan) tap into the cultivation of dispassionate awareness that is a hallmark of both Zen and of Taoism.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I think this is a common misconception, fostered by some arguably poor word choices in translation (particularly the word "illusion"). In English, we'd use the word "illusion" for something that doesn't really exist, but the Buddhist use of the word (in translation) might better be expressed as "impermanent" or "mutable". Buddhist thought certainly doesn't see the body as "illusionary" in the sense that it doesn't exist; it does see it as impermanent and changeable, like all things. This does not, however, mean that Buddhist spirituality is about transcendence ("leav[ing] the body behind"). It focuses instead on immanence, which goes hand in hand with the understanding that what is, here, now, will not be in the next instant.