Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Question tatami mats

Hi there, anyone know of a good inexpensive place to buy tatami mats? I heard of one in Canada, but cannot find it on the web (think it was called Judoka), and trained on some really nice ones this past week at ER summer camp. Would love to buy some of the same. Please write back if you know of a good source for mats (already own some Swain and Zebra mats).

All the best!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
MaylandL
Re: tatami mats

Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
Hi there, anyone know of a good inexpensive place to buy tatami mats? ...

Please write back if you know of a good source for mats...
Hello Rachel

This may not be helpful since I live down under. One of the local professional dojos (it was also a pro shop for martial artists) was selling 2nd hand/used tatami. You may wish to enquire with your local proshops and professional dojos if they have any good 2nd hand tatami they are selling (assuming that that is something you havent already canvassed and that you are willing to settle for 2nd hand mats).

You may wish to have a look at the following links if you havent already:

http://www.aikiweb.com/links/browse.php?cat=17
http://directory.google.com/Top/Shop...rappling/Judo/
http://www.mooresshoushu.com/Martial...supplies.shtml

All the best for training

Last edited by MaylandL : 08-06-2002 at 11:22 PM.

Mayland
Old 08-07-2002, 05:31 AM   #3
rachmass

Hi Maryland!

Thanks for the input. The links were great, but unfortunately didn't lead me to what I was looking for. Your idea of second hand is terrific, and I am asking if folks out here in cyber-aikidoland have used mats they might wish to sell? (all my mats have been purchased post-tournament through their respective vendors-cheaper that way).

Otherwise, still looking to get the name of the mats (I thought Judoka, or something very similar) that I bumped around on for a week and felt pretty good afterwards.

Please folks, pipe up if you have any ideas other than Swain or Zebra (and yes, I like those mats, but I am looking for still another source).

All the best,

Rachel
Old 08-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
rachmass
Hello out there.

I have tracked down the company Judoka in Montreal, but no one speaks English. Is there anyone out there who knows their website address (if they have one), or how I would go about trying to find out what their mats cost (I don't speak French). Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
Kat.C
Quote:
Hello out there.

I have tracked down the company Judoka in Montreal, but no one speaks English. Is there anyone out there who knows their website address (if they have one), or how I would go about trying to find out what their mats cost (I don't speak French). Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Hello Rachael,

I think I've found the company you're looking for. It's Jukado Inc. and the website is www.jukado.com It has an english version too.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:18 AM   #6
rachmass
Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 02:34 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I was looking at the prices for the Jukado mats. Aren't they a little pricey when compared to Swain or Zebra? Jukado is asking $185/mat. I'm pretty sure our dojo got the Swain mats for about $100-125/mat. If I remember correctly the Zebra mats are even less.

Of course Jukado's mats are probably priced in Canadian. What's the current exchange rate? Depending on that it may end up being cheaper...not sure about international duty charges though.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-09-2002, 06:20 AM   #8
rachmass
Yeah Bronson, I had been told by a Canadian that they bought them for $100 Canadian, so that they were then only about $65 US, certainly less expensive that what I paid for my Swain and Zebra mats (and I bought those post-tournament, so they were not high priced). The mats were really comfortable and I was really excited to see the website and look up the prices. I wonder if they have used mats because even with the exchange, they are around $115, so no less than new Swain....

Thanks for all your help, better just go on the lookout for used mats again.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:28 AM   #9
Kat.C
Quote:
Thank you!!!!!!!
You're welcome.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.