Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Kafastomp
Dojo: Free style Aikido ,Coos Bay Oregon
United_States
Make it Effective

Someone discuss with me how to apply what you learn to how you live in everyday lives. But instead of giving me space for an answer, he keep on and on thru out the conversation. He then talk about what martial art is working and what its not.
I just met this guy 2 weeks earlier. And now he seem he know everything . He start on Aikido and how its aint work anywhere, and everything about it is negative.
After a 30 min to 45 min he finally slow town.
So Its my turn now finally. " I know your thought and your blindness .I understand your ignorant and your negatively , but I want to be honest ,you are wrong about Aikido". He turn and looked at me with a look that I cant explain. I start to laugh then I said " did anybody touch you bad".

How do we apply what we learn in this society where we lived.? How do we makes it work in our surrounding.? I am not talking about compete no not at all, I am talking about interacting on the street, at home, anywhere. I saw on youtube a guy who claim to be a Aikido Instructor ,he leave Aikido to MMA and start talking bad about Aikido. A lot of Video out there people say negative things about Aikido. The question," How do we deal with that kind of situation.
Many comes up to me and say its not work. The truth here I am only a yondan. Aikido change my lives and I will defend it to the end. I spar in Maryland with a Taekwondo sensei and I used irimi and tankan when he attack and its works. In pikesvillie Maryland I spar with another I use different technigues and its works. Here, where I stay people in different work of life challenge me at work and everywhere. I always try to help them see Aikido in different ways.I want the people to respect it . I always says" All the martials arts in the world we live in are good. See it as a tool box when need to fix something you reach out to the tools you want .Aikido is like that.
Its just a thought to think about.
Thanks
kafastomp
Old 07-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
dps

Thumbs up Re: Make it Effective

Quote:
Henele Veikune wrote: View Post
Many comes up to me and say its not work. The truth here I am only a yondan. Aikido change my lives and I will defend it to the end. I spar in Maryland with a Taekwondo sensei and I used irimi and tankan when he attack and its works. In pikesvillie Maryland I spar with another I use different technigues and its works. Here, where I stay people in different work of life challenge me at work and everywhere. I always try to help them see Aikido in different ways.I want the people to respect it . I always says" All the martials arts in the world we live in are good. See it as a tool box when need to fix something you reach out to the tools you want .Aikido is like that.
Its just a thought to think about.
Thanks
kafastomp
The bad image of Aikido is from the many people who practice Aikido not as a martial art.
You know it works and many people who have used in a martial application know it is a good tool for self defense.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
earnest aikidoka
Singapore
Re: Make it Effective

Whenever someone comes up and says Aikido doesn't work, it seems to me that its not Aikido's problem but the problem of the person.

Aikido is Aikido. It is a martial art that embodies certain principles into a system of combat that has proven effective, and the training in Aikido is not to win fights per se, but to teach people these principles that make Aikido effective.

People come to Aikido to learn Aikido, and Aikido teaches accordingly. The Principles are tools that you have to apply for yourself. If someone finds that Aikido is not for them, that's their problem. Their either looking for something that Aikido can't give, or are too dumb to apply Aikido's principles outside the dojo. Either way, its not a problem that you or Aikido have to deal with.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!