Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Derren Brown "Psychological Punch"

Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBXXA5xhcQ0
...err...that is to say, does anyone know more about this than meets the eye? Derren Brown is one of my favorite "entertainers." Here, assuming he's not using conditioned uke, he seems to be utilizing the concept of no-touch atemi. What do you think?

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Derren Brown "Psychological Punch"

Great comedy! Back on the block we call that "flinching", and when you do that, you get...two for flinching.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Great comedy! Back on the block we call that "flinching", and when you do that, you get...two for flinching.
LOL! Oh the dreaded two for flinching! The real problem comes when you also flinch at the two incoming fisticuffs of steel. I'm still trying to pay those off from 1987. Fortunately I pay it forward every time my wife sees a slug-bug so my conscience rests easy.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Here, assuming he's not using conditioned uke, he seems to be utilizing the concept of no-touch atemi. What do you think?
I think he insists that he's always doing "tricks" - be it with very sophisticated psychological manipulations.
I have seen that TV sequence before, and I was impressed. Maybe what we do in no-touch atemi is to make use of the same psychology?

The human senses are quite refined, so it is often difficult to draw a definite line between what's "real" and what's not. We perceive reality through our imagination, so it is a strong power even when not supported by physical evidence - maybe particularly strong when not physically evident.

It's a pity that magicians don't give away their secrets...

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

I want him to punch me.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

The experiment could be really telling if it did not work on a person who was not one of the teacher's students... or an aikido student for that matter---no one with years of being whacked hard for not falling ;-)

Ricky, or anyone else who says "Oooh! Oooh! Pick me!" would probably be fine ;-)

Last edited by Joe McParland : 10-02-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I want him to punch me.
Maybe I could do it instead? LOL

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 10-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

This other guy does a good version of the push test and makes a skinny lady unliftable.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
mathewjgano

United_States
"Psychological Punch" as leading

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I think he insists that he's always doing "tricks" - be it with very sophisticated psychological manipulations.
I have seen that TV sequence before, and I was impressed. Maybe what we do in no-touch atemi is to make use of the same psychology?

The human senses are quite refined, so it is often difficult to draw a definite line between what's "real" and what's not. We perceive reality through our imagination, so it is a strong power even when not supported by physical evidence - maybe particularly strong when not physically evident.

It's a pity that magicians don't give away their secrets...
I agree. And what he does is essentially a trick...whether he's distracting people so he can slip them blank pieces of paper in lieu of payment, or using massive flooding of embedded suggestions to get them to design a specific advertizement, or making someone effectively flinch while standing directly behind them. I just happened across this bit and it reminded me of the no-touch stuff some folks do.
Obviously in the budo context we have to be able to be effective in the physical context, but I think an often overlooked facet of budo lies within the psychological realm. I view what he does in this bit as an example of leading...in fact nearly everything I've seen of his seems to specialize in the art of leading people through their mind/perception.
My understanding of Aikido involves beginning with some posture (mental or physical) which has innate openings or qualities, which are in turn designed to entice somewhat specific behaviors. Walking down the street with full strides and an upright posture, with simple confidence (i.e. mental posture) tends to dissuade the opportunistic mugger a bit more than slouching and looking sheepish, for example. The same kind of thing is true for direct interactions. Our postures affect the way people interact with us, whether they want to hurt us or beat us at chess or whatever. In short, how we carry ourselves is how we attempt to lead the world around us and how connected we are (how good our musubi is) determines how effective our daily purposes are. In the case of this video, Brown intends to make someone flinch. It helps that he has a Wing Chun guy demonstrate a punch and that the guy hit says it hurt (I'm sure that was part of his leading process).
Anyhow, it just got me thinking about the possible value to no-touch efforts.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
mathewjgano

United_States

Sorry for being off-topic to the forum, Jun. I posted this thread with the intent of discussing it in terms of Aikido.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I think he insists that he's always doing "tricks" - be it with very sophisticated psychological manipulations. I have seen that TV sequence before, and I was impressed. Maybe what we do in no-touch atemi is to make use of the same psychology?
It is very interesting and entertaining.

Aikido is often referred to body "and mind" unification. Ki is often directed by the mind. Subtle manipulation of the mind then connects and direct the ki of the other person/uke. I have often been taught no-touch throws are based on this mental connection/direction and timing to take balance.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Maybe I could do it instead? LOL
You may.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

I thought it was the most interesting that he DIDN'T choose the Wing Chun guy to be his volunteer for the the punch...I'm sure the results would have been different.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer