Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
St Matt
United Kingdom
Aikido and Kali?

Hi, this is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone trained in both Aikido and Kali / Eskrima? I have been doing Aikido for the best part of a year and I am really enjoying it, however, a friend of mine was thinking about starting to train in Kali/Eskrima particularly empty hand techniques. He asked me to go with him. Having no idea about Filipino fighting I did a quick youtube search and some of the techniques look very similar to what we do, although with more strikes.

So can any of you tell me if Aikido and Kali/Eskrima are fairly compatible or are the two techniques worlds apart as I dont want to get into a situation where I will just end up confusing myself and upset my Aikido techniques.

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States
Re: Aikido and Kali?

Insert Lynn Seiser...the floor is yours. Chat with Lynn on here, I'm willing to bet he thinks they're very compatible.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

I just finished 1.5 hours of Aikido followed by 1 hour of escrima/kali.

IMHO, they are very compatible and complementary but different in intent and intensity. Aikido is non-violent and escrima/kali is not.

When cross-training, do Aikido when doing Aikido and do escrima/kali when doing escrima/kali. Don't try to integrate them. Let that happen as you progress.

One way to find out. Burn some rattan.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
St Matt
United Kingdom

Hi thanks for the replies!

I am glad someone else does this combination of MA's and you think they are very complimentary to each other. As I said you can see many 'similar' techniques in the two styles so I was quite intrigued to accompany my friend and give it a go. I just dont want to confuse my Aikido and slow my progress in training.

Once again thanks for the advice
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Matt, there are lots of other threads on here about cross training with other arts, if you want to poke around...but others think that Brazilian Ju Jitsu (BJJ), Systema, Judo, Tai Chi and even Tae Kwon Do are good additions to Aikido training.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Matt Bostock wrote: View Post
Hi, this is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone trained in both Aikido and Kali / Eskrima? I have been doing Aikido for the best part of a year and I am really enjoying it, however, a friend of mine was thinking about starting to train in Kali/Eskrima particularly empty hand techniques. He asked me to go with him. Having no idea about Filipino fighting I did a quick youtube search and some of the techniques look very similar to what we do, although with more strikes.

So can any of you tell me if Aikido and Kali/Eskrima are fairly compatible or are the two techniques worlds apart as I dont want to get into a situation where I will just end up confusing myself and upset my Aikido techniques.

Cheers.
I am of the belief that all training with a quality teacher is good. Kali / Escrima is excellent work. It helps you move fluidly, teaches a quite heightened sensitivity, develops great speed, lets you understand how people actually use weapons, unlike the way we tend to in Aikido. Most importantly, it will teach you to use your hands in a far more natural and effective way than most Aikido will do.

Check out Doces Pares Escrima. It's Founder, Grandmaster Canete, actually calls it Escrido because he combined the traditional Philippine stick fighting with Aikido. At striking distance they are pretty much the same as ordinary escrima but once they get close in, they have a locking and throwing repertoire that is scary. I trained just a bit for a couple years with Canete's senior American student Chris Petrilli. You can find him on the web and his videos are worth having.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Arnis / Eskrima / Kali was actually the first martial art I studied. Not surprising since I am a Filipino. There are many similarities with Aikido, not just the locks and throws, but the footwork as well. I still have a pair of rattan sticks I like to twirl every so often.
Ledyard Sensei is quite correct regarding Eskrido. GGM Cacoy Canete incorporated the Judo and Aikido he learned into his famous family style of Doce Pares Eskrima. You can watch a video of Eskrido in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
St Matt
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok we are going to give it a bash this Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I will find that it compliments my Aikido like you have suggested.

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Jaon Deatherage

Dojo: Aikido of the Kootenays, Red Jade Kung Fu
Canada

I also train both Aikido and Serrada Escrima (as well as a family kungfu style). I find that all are excellent ways to express and explore underlying martial principles. Different styles will cross-inform one another very nicely as long as you don't get tempted to 'mix' them in the early stages.

People will tell you that the man who chases 2 rabbits catches none, but I see it as chasing one rabbit in two different ways....