Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2002, 11:51 PM   #1
wanderingwriath
How to become an Uchi-deshi

First I'd like to say hello to everyone. Second, I'm a newbie in here and I fear I may have already stepped on toes somewhere. I apologize ahead of time.

My question really concerns something I'm sure all Aikidoka would romanticize about at least to some extent. How would one go about becoming an uchi-deshi at say the hombu dojo? Failing that one of Ueshiba's own uchi-deshi's dojo's? Failing that (incredibly long winded: sorry ) one of K. Ueshiba's uchi-deshi? and so on. Bear in mind that I'm a total green horn and all of this is just a moment of pure escapism.
Thanx.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:23 AM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: How to become an Uchi-deshi

Quote:
James Singleton (wanderingwriath) wrote:
First I'd like to say hello to everyone. Second, I'm a newbie in here and I fear I may have already stepped on toes somewhere. I apologize ahead of time.

My question really concerns something I'm sure all Aikidoka would romanticize about at least to some extent. How would one go about becoming an uchi-deshi at say the hombu dojo? Failing that one of Ueshiba's own uchi-deshi's dojo's? Failing that (incredibly long winded: sorry ) one of K. Ueshiba's uchi-deshi? and so on. Bear in mind that I'm a total green horn and all of this is just a moment of pure escapism.

Thanx.

At Aikikai hombu I would suggest just going and training a lot - some foreigners end up living in the dojo for a while, but there really isn't an easy way into the uchi-deshi program. There are places in Tokyo like Kobayashi Dojo and Shindo Dojo that take in uchi-deshi, probably others if you look around. Iwama does, but you need to be practicing Iwama style already.

K. Ueshiba's dead, so becoming his uchi-deshi might be a little bit difficult - or not, depending on how you think of those things .

Best,

Chris

Old 07-26-2002, 01:26 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I believe the AAA organization has people apply for open uchi-deshi spots ,at least the one I visited here in Michigan does. It was open to all ranks and styles too. I mention AAA because they are headquartered in Chicago so if you're really interested you can give 'em a call

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-26-2002, 03:57 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi!

I recently stumple upon something called an 'Aikido Academy' in Hombu Dojo. I don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be a 6 month intensive course. It isn't an uchi-deshi program but might be interesting anyway.

Just follow this link: http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm and select the 'Guide' button on the left.

Some sensei's in the Tokyo area will let you stay in their dojo while your'e there (I know of at least one). This mean you can train a lot and don't have to pay the obscene cost of boarding in a shelter or a flat.

Good hunting.....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 07-26-2002, 06:06 AM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis (JJF) wrote:
Hi!

I recently stumple upon something called an 'Aikido Academy' in Hombu Dojo. I don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be a 6 month intensive course. It isn't an uchi-deshi program but might be interesting anyway.
Don't waste your time. You'd be better off just going to the regular classes (there are 5 a day, anyway, that should be enough for most folks),

Best,

Chris

Old 07-26-2002, 08:50 AM   #6
Paul Smith
Uchideshi Training Program

Dear James:

Please see Aikiweb's home page (General Aikido News) for an announcement and description of Aikido Shinjinkai's uchideshi training program, available here in Chicago.

I can tell you from my own experience, being an uchideshi gave me a gift which continues to bear fruit, and I trust will do so forever. I am grateful and humbled to have had the opportunity, and if you are of the mind to pursue this shugyo, I encourage you and wish you well.

Paul Smith
Old 07-26-2002, 08:56 AM   #7
akiy

The AikiWeb Weblinks Portal has a section for uchideshi program information on the web:

http://www.aikiweb.com/links/browse.php?cat=70

Many of the sites above have instructions and/or applications for uchideshi training programs.

If any links are missing, I would love to have them included! (Add URL link here.)

Hope that helps!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-26-2002, 11:35 AM   #8
wanderingwriath
Thanx a bunch everyone. I have, in fact, already emailed Keith Moore sensei and he is sending me the details on the program here in Chicago. The links have all led to interesting places as well. Someday, classic dreamer statement, I'll make it to Japan to study as an uchi desi.

Thanx again friends.