Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
nerez3
Re: Dangerous Situations

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
You sound like a 'Bella'.
This.

Lets go put myself at risk, oh wait, I have friends to back me up!
You are extremely lucky. Dont take this the wrong way but while reading your story all I could think of was the typical high school princess. I didnt read the topic as dangerous situations I like to stupidly place myself in.

To OP, you are amazing. It truly takes some resiliense to survive that abuse.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #52
Chris Evans
United_States
Eek! Re: Dangerous Situations

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
The most dangerous situations in my life haven't involved other human beings.
me two. so glad we had our "heavy" rifle then: whew! ...and no beings got hurt, we just scared poop-less... aikido or karate no good on 600# bears.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Autrelle Holland wrote: View Post
And in the cases that I had run into that person again, for better or worse, they had reflected on their conduct, for the better.
I missed this bit before. I think it is reflective of what I've interpreted as the promise of aikido. Sadly, those that I've run across again also have appeared to be 'reformed' but only when I was around - I have heard from others that they could likely use another 'adjustment'. Perhaps I was too easy on them the first time.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #54
soupdragon1973
Dojo: Hallam Aikido, Sheffield
United Kingdom

Old post I know. Sorry to hear of the bullying you experienced Alic, it makes it all the more awful reading it as you had come to a new country and didnt know the language. I was bullied in my home country and it was bad enough but as a child I spent two years in America and fortunately wasnt bullied. I adopted an American accent as a kid to fit as I didnt think my peers would understand broad Yorkshire accent lol. As for the scissors incident, I understand your intent and you were showing anger and you learnt from that and wouldnt use that kind of force again, dangerous as it was at the time.

As children we percieve situations that are dangerous at the time that as adults we might take a different perspective on. Being a child and being confronted by a group of 5-6 other children that are threatening or willing to beat the crap out of you is very scary and our body will tell us 'this is dangerous'. As an adult being confronted by a 5-6 adults with the same intent IS dangerous, you can be beat to death and I hear often of stories of people who were killed by one punch, the punch knocked them to the floor and the victim hit their head on the floor in such a way that it knocked them unconcious and killed them.

As for dangerous situations, I have had a knife pulled on me twice, one situation I feared I might have gotten stabbed and the other I think it was more bravado and a threat as I knew the guy weilding the knife. The situation I feared I might have gotten stabbed I ran,ran as fast as I have ever run. The guy weilding the knife, his friend ran in the pub across the street to get his friends inside and soon as I saw them come out I ran down the street. I had boots on a rucksack on my back full of stuff but they couldnt catch me. This was 21 years ago, long before I ever took up martial arts.

Other than that, no real dangerous situations like earthquakes, robbers, fires or dangerous dogs. As I live in UK never seen a gun crime or gun aimed at me. It does happen but I have never seen it. A guy once threatened to point a gun at me, blow my head off but I just ignored him, I think he was bluffing and on drugs but I got on my bike and cycled away. Just and idiot. Shook me up though.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #55
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I bullied bullies.
Demetrio, Bully for you!! Rather than stopping the practice of bullying you became one yourself.Hardly an action which I would consider appropriate.Violence of any sort breeds violence.You would think that after countless wars and millions dead humanity would have realised this by now.Unfortunately this is not the case so bullying [small scale ]and wars [large scale ] just creates pain for the victims.I do hope we reach
a point whereby weapons can be turned into ploughshares.Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
Messias
Portugal

Well... I live in São Paulo, Brasil, since 2010. And before that in Luanda, Angola.
I´ve been quite in a lot of countries and seen a lot of strange situations, but I have never, ever, seen such amount of extreme daily violence as here... (ok, I could throw Venezuela in as well).
Here, there´s no "fancy movie stunts" that can save your ass in a tight situation. There is absolutely no "honourable fights" and you´re walking looking above your shoulder.

For those not used to something like this beside in Hollywood movies, it can sound exagerated...but it´s not. Here, guns impose the rules and you see them on a daily basis.
Police standard trafic road control operations are held with glocks and shotguns at hand, on a basis of "shoot first, ask later". 3 months ago some engineer got shot in the head because the "officer" mistaked the cell phone for a gun. "Sorry", they say...To make things worse, last year the local gang (the biggest) declared war on the police. As a result, 93 (and counting) dead officers in broad daylight executions, from shopping malls, to streets... and police stations! Wow...
All summed up it was something around 5.732 homicides last year alone (only this town, of course), not counting the ones that die later at the hospital, nor the ones classified as other than plain homicide (just for the record, robbery that ends up with a dead citizen, does not count towards this numbers)

I live in a building with electrical fences, barbed wires, double gates at the garage (so you enter in a sort of "bunker" prior to getting in the real garage)...the same thing with on-foot access, a bunch of security guards, guns, armored cars and a lot of other stuff that would fill the eyes of the common "civilized-country-action-movie-fan". But it´s living like that for me... and the rest of the neighbourhood!
Just 600mts from here starts a famous "favela" (shanty town) with aprox. 108.000 inhabitants, mostly good people, but out of 108 thousand... there are always a few not so pleasant and peacefull.
After dark, almost all traffic lights become "optional" (although car-lights also seem to be) and you just don´t walk the streets.

I never studied martial arts and the reason I´ve started now has nothing to do with "getting out of trouble". It could help... but not in these kind of environment!

The only possible and feasable defense is... avoid confrontation!
Be alert, anticipate... and avoid.

I´m just starting but I wonder,.. is that Aikido?

Cheers,
Messias.

Last edited by Messias : 02-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #57
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Dear Messias,
Who cares what you call your policy of avoiding trouble or confrontation? Call it Aikido or whatever.I call it using your head and showing common sense.Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #58
sakumeikan
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Dangerous Situations

Messias,
Sounds like you live in a nice residential area.I bet real estate prices are high.Do you think the area might change from a quiet rural suburb and change into an urban nightmare? Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #59
Messias
Portugal

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Messias,
Sounds like you live in a nice residential area.I bet real estate prices are high.Do you think the area might change from a quiet rural suburb and change into an urban nightmare? Cheers, Joe.
Yeap... It´s getting harder and harder to find cattle arround the house
But surprisingly the real estate prices go sky-high in this area! (some really crazy people).

Well, but my long "speech" up there, was just to pass the idea that my level of understanding iminent "menace" and possible reaction, has kept changing throught the places I lived in. In this one, there are actually zero-to-none chances of self defense. Fights are usually unfair and done 100ft apart from your oponent.

Damn shame...

Cheers,
Messias